PDA

View Full Version : iPhone on XT Network - Does anybody know the XT APN Details?

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I can't remember who was asking about it..

Basically I was at a friends today helping him with his new Nokia E75 (Can't say I'm a fan in the slightest) and he's on Telecoms new XT Network. I figured "Why not whip out his SIM and chuck it in my iPhone?"
I knew the iPhone supported the 850mhz frequency (Based on Wikipedia specs) but wasn't sure if things would "just work" or not.

Basically I popped his SIM in, powered it up, and it worked straight away :) Made a call, received a call, didn't get to try out the internet on it (Naturally wifi worked still, GPS did too) but I presumed it'd require some reconfiguring with the Telecom APN details.
Same thing happened when a friend bought an iPhone outright and whacked his PrePay SIM in (And my father with a non-iPhone-specific contract / plan), the APN just needed changing to www.vodafone.net.nz -- So I'd presume if we were to learn Telecoms APN, then there's the real possibility we could use the Telecom 3G data connection?

Does anybody know the details of the XT APN? I'd be interested to go try it out again and make sure the 3G data works on telecoms XT network.

Has this been discussed already? At somewhere like Geekzone?

But yes, I just thought I'd make a post for all those curious PF1'ers and say that it *is* possible to use your Telecom XT SIM Card in an iPhone (3G) :)

Cheers

Chill.

somebody
27-06-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=32983

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks, will try soon!!

Ninjabear
27-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Do be careful. Fretaism isnt such a nice guy to talk to

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Fretaism?

nou
27-06-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/?p=84

Site run by someone fairly prominent in NZ IT circles. Makes it nice ad easy to configure as well.

Ninjabear
27-06-2009, 08:52 PM
He's the admin there.

He banned me as I was arguing telecom's customer service. So everyone was talking about the new telecom Xt network and how it is so the best compared with vodafone.
I was pointing out the disadvantage of joining telecom when telecom's customer service is merely satisfying. Their customer service for broadband are outsourced to manilla and all i said was that I wouldn't want to talk to the poor customer service who know nothing about telecommunication and that i wouldn't wanna talk to anyone that had a poor accent too.
Nevertherless he banned me because I wasn't contributing anything.
I recommended my friend who needed help as she just arrived in HK and he banned her also. Makes her feel welcome to the country doesn't it?
I think symbian-freak and PCworld earn me the most respect as both you and Jen are the best moderators I've come across. You two certainly have a sense of humour too and thats what keeps me coming back.lol. Very well done

Anyway, I've gotten over it. The geekzone forum isn't that user friendly anyway and I don't visit that site as often as this site

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Brilliant stuff, nice to know that I can still convert 027 XT-Users to the iPhone ;)

(Yes, I know about number portability, but thats besides the point)

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Ninjabear: Nice to hear :) Thanks!

I didnt have a terribly friendly experience when I went there a year or so ago, I make a point of avoiding it where I can because like you, I know a lot of other people who've had a less than pleasant visit.