PDA

View Full Version : OE suddenly will not send to specific email addresses

Misty
27-06-2009, 11:54 AM
For the past week our OE refuses to send emails to certain specific addresses. All others are fine. There are four addresses it refuses to send to - even thought the emails are very straightforward, no attachments or embellishments etc.

The four addresses (so far) are two work addresses (those of my wife and daughter) and two hotmail addresses. We can however receive emails from the same addresses. The work addresses are straightforward and although I am not going to specifically give them here they are similar to
angelina@bestwork.co.nz

All four have been fine in the past.

The only changes to the laptop in the recent past have been -
addition of Superantispyware
and
extensive problems and crashes (now resolved with input from Jen & Speedy) when extra RAM was installed on the laptop.

We run XP Professional on the laptop.

I did consider re-installing OE because of the crashes we had might have stuffed up OE - but then, why are only four email addresses affected and then only outwards but not inwards. Seems that it might be settings in some way. Or maybe some servers we send to think we are sending Spam (but why ?)

Misty :confused:

stormdragon
27-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Misty you might want to remove the email address from your post otherwise its going to be picked up by spambots. Even if its not your exact email address you might find the domain has a catch all address related to it, which will pick up anything to an invalid address.

Are these addresses saved as contacts or are you manually typing them in?

Misty
27-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Misty you might want to remove the email address from your post otherwise its going to be picked up by spambots.

Are these addresses saved as contacts or are you manually typing them in?
Thanks stormdragon - they are contacts (but I also tried manually typing them in as well). Have also deleted one of these contacts and re-entered but that did not any effect.

If you re-read my post you will see that the address is fictitious. It is just to demonstrate the style/format of the addresses. Am too old and crafty to get caught out giving a real one. But thanks for caring ! :D
Misty

Safari
27-06-2009, 12:06 PM
When you say you can't send do you mean they do not go at all and stay in the outbox or do you get a returned undelivered message.

Do you get any eror message.

Misty
27-06-2009, 12:21 PM
When you say you can't send do you mean they do not go at all and stay in the outbox or do you get a returned undelivered message.

Do you get any eror message.

Hi Safari - the messages stay in the outbox - but I get the error message

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '..........@hotmail.com'. Subject '...............', Account: 'POP3.xtra.co.nz', Server: 'smtp.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying mail to hotmail.com is not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Have just tried sending to my wife's email address and got virtually the same message. Her work address is not a hotmail one of course.

It is an original message and not something I am forwarding etc !
Misty

Safari
27-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi Safari - the messages stay in the outbox - but I get the error message

Have just tried sending to my wife's email address and got virtually the same message. Her work address is not a hotmail one of course.

It is an original message and not something I am forwarding etc !
Misty

What ISP is you broadband connection with.
Looks as if you are trying to send through smtp.xtra.co.nz and your internet connection is with someone else

Misty
27-06-2009, 12:35 PM
What ISP is you broadband connection with.
Looks as if you are trying to send through smtp.xtra.co.nz and your internet connection is with someone else
My ISP is Xtra, Safari. Perhaps I should ring them ! :( That may be the waste of an hour waiting - though last time was a lot quicker - so may not be too bad ! :)
Misty

pctek
27-06-2009, 12:53 PM
'..........@hotmail.com'. 'POP3.xtra.co.nz', Server: 'smtp.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relaying mail to hotmail.com is not allowed',

Check email accounts. Have you got more than one?
Because Relaying is when you have connected via one ISP and using a different ISPs SMTP server.

Misty
27-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Check email accounts. Have you got more than one?
Because Relaying is when you have connected via one ISP and using a different ISPs SMTP server.
Hi Grandma :D
No, we only use the one email account. Have a gmail address but that is completely separate. I am wondering now if the problem may related to the fact that we have been selected for the Telecom Broadband Embark trial - though my understanding that is not going to start until 30 June - maybe they have linked us up early and there is a problem.
Misty

Misty
27-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Folks
Problem all fixed !

I spoke with the Telecom/Xtra helpdesk people and had to change some settings in Options - OE. Apparently whereas my existing (older) settings worked with my combination of Xtra Go and OE 6. they were out of date for a combination of "Broadband Embark" and OE6. A few little changes of settings and all hunky-dorey !

Thanks for your suggestions and queries - Safari, pctek and Stormdragon. :punk :clap
Misty :D :D

pctek
27-06-2009, 10:03 PM
I spoke with the Telecom/Xtra helpdesk people and had to change some settings in Options - OE. . they were out of date for a combination of "Broadband Embark" and OE6. A

Whats Embark? What settings did you have to enter?
&%$## Xtra drive me crazy with their several different settings as it is without adding more to it.

And yep, still a granny..........Grandchild just got a new graphics card to play with too.