PDA

View Full Version : At Your Dealer's Soon! The 2010 Sichuan Tengzhong

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 08:35 AM
General Motors has found a buyer for Hummer, a brand that was once a must-have accessory for the rich, but that came to symbolize the company's (not to mention the nation’s) attachment to gas-guzzling mega machines.

And the buyer, the New York Times reports, is a machinery company in western China, The Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company Ltd., based in Chengdu. The Times cited an anonymous source after GM kept details of the deal very much hush hush.

The Chinese company will buy a brand that started as the military’s Humvee and morphed into a civilian dream machine. But GM is saying that the sale could save more than 3,000 U.S. jobs in manufacturing, engineering and at Hummer dealerships around the country. And it says the deal is expected to close by the end of the third quarter.

LINK (http://bizjournals.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/stories/2009/06/01/daily2.html)

plod
27-06-2009, 08:48 AM
So the build quality will go up and the price down?

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Yeah but the pieces will fall off - new parts won't fit and plastic parts will now be made out of iron slurry with sand casting pit holes and sprue blow-outs.

plod
27-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Yeah but the pieces will fall off - new parts won't fit and plastic parts will now be made out of iron slurry with sand casting pit holes and sprue blow-outs.

Is that because its still going to be made in the states:waughh:

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 10:00 AM
With Chinese labor-union employees.

Honestly, though - check out the results of another big US company tying one on with the Chinese: Caterpillar and Lotus.

Read up on it and decide for yourself and don't get beer-goggles!

kenj
27-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I question the "started as the military’s Humvee and morphed into a civilian dream machine" bit Joe.

Perhaps American appreciation of cars is a tad different to ours. The Hummer is commonly known as a "sheep of hit" here in upside down land. Well, at least by all the folks I associate with.

Ken

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I've only worked on a few of the military models and seen under the hood of the first civilian ones a few times.

I liked the original GM diesel versions as I was a serious underdog admirer and that was a seriously misunderstood engine for most Americans.

The H2 does nothing for me esthetically, but I do admire the mechanical aspects of it. It is a weak-kitten and should NOT be reliably considered for off-road use or driving. The parts bend under moderate impact and things are just too light weight to consider safe for that recreational venue.

The H3, on the other hand is cute, smaller and a lot more salable to my standards. I still wouldn't buy one even if I had YOUR money.

That being said - I drive a 1989 Isuzu Amigo and a 1986 Chevy K5 Blazer (full-sized) but I do not appreciate having China as a source of parts OR any future new vehicles.

I won't even buy a Kia. That's not Chinese, but it's close enough!

The "Lotus" thing is a badly formed deal that Caterpillar got to cheaply build and operate a heavy equipment plant in China somewhere and for 40 hours a week (US labor standard work week) they build Caterpillars, but for the rest of the time including Sundays, they build the cheaper Lotus on the same lines, same dimensions, same paint and same castings with one glaring exception: the alloys are 100% Chinese.

The parts interchange - but the Chinese parts fail at a high rate from poor quality metallurgy.

US construction companies buy the Lotus because the price is about 1/3rd of the Cat price for the same piece of equipment and they just replace the parts that break with genu-wine Caterpillar parts from that time on. Voila! The Cat parts don't fail!

I have seen contractors lose a Lotus into a deep swamp or ditch and won't even bother getting it back because it's cheaper to replace it than haul it out and repair it.

It figgers.

seltsam
27-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Looks like the deal may fall over:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2009-06/26/content_8325257.htm

Apparently because the Hummer is ecologically unsound... bit of a joke, coming from China :waughh:

qazwsxokmijn
27-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Thank god.....I would never want to drive a car built in China.

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't LIKE driving on the same roads as one from China.

When you need a kick in your social/economic/ecological compass sometime, just remember: tainted peanut butter, poisoned dog food, lead in children's toys, tuberculosis and malaria and of course, Chinese Water Torture.

Agent_24
27-06-2009, 02:51 PM
You forgot the melamine poisoned milk

martynz
27-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Not so long ago a major car agency here in Wellington announced that they were the main man for Humvees, shortly after that they went down the gurgler...serve them right.

Martynz