PDA

View Full Version : "ANY" Key Still Missing - Next It's The "DELETE" Key

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 07:00 AM
If ever there were a time to make radical changes to the keyboard, now might be it. As evidence, Paul Bradley, an executive creative director at the global design group Frog Design noted the high tolerance many younger people show for tapping out cell phone messages on tiny keypads using only their thumbs.

Lenovo is on a more conservative course. In designing the new ThinkPad, it installed keystroke-tracking software on about 30 employees' computers (they volunteered). On average, they used the "Escape" and "Delete" keys 700 times a week, yet those were the only "outboard" keys, or non-letter keys, that hadn't been enlarged.

For all I care they can remove the F-keys and I won't miss them. The BIGGEST thing they can do is move that sto-o-o-o-pid Caps-Lock key to some place where I can't hit it by accident and type garbage for ten minutes (not a touch-typist, I stare at the keys themselves) but DO NOT REMOVE MY DELETE KEY!

I have worn off the print on it and if I didn't know where it was exactly, I'd die trying to find it all the time - I use it as an on-screen edit button.

Sweep
27-06-2009, 01:39 PM
You can always remap the capslock key to something else.

http://www.usnetizen.com/fix_capslock.php

It worked for me.

pcuser42
27-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I also find no use for the Caps Lock key. I tend to hold Shift when typing all caps.

the_bogan
27-06-2009, 02:10 PM
They're not removing the delete key. They are going to stretch it out vertically. Good idea in my mind.

Also, I'd be keen to ditch the Caps Lock key.

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Remapping it?

I like that idea.

Now - what shall I make it do?

the_bogan
27-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Remapping it?

I like that idea.

Now - what shall I make it do?

Serve beer?

pcuser42
27-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I set mine to another Tab key. Large Tab FTW. :D

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Will it serve a Glen Fiddich Single Malt?

R2x1
27-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Only one. It may be served elsewhere though.

the_bogan
27-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Only one. It may be served elsewhere though.

That explains the messes I see on the seat...

Agent_24
27-06-2009, 02:52 PM
This is the only keyboard layout that I like - ANYTHING else pisses me off (extra keys for multimedia are OK as long as they are at the top and don't interfere with the rest of the keys)

But I make exceptions for laptops because they often don't have enough room.

Renmoo
27-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I set mine to another Tab key. Large Tab FTW. :D
Damn, that's a good idea :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
27-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I don't like those ergonomically correct keyboards. They look like they got left out in the noonday sun, where we all know mad dogs and .......

If you use one of them bent things: SHAME ON YOU!

Be a real man and take the pain like you should with your wrist(s) in Ace Bandages and wrist protectors, but buck-up to it, if you wanna use a keyboard don't be a little girl!

If you can't stand the pain - drink Scotch, but get a cheap bottle as you wouldn't recognized a good Scotch from a bottle of snake urine.

I used to have to walk 20 miles to and from school every day - and it was up hill! Both ways! In the snow. In my bare-baby feet. And I never whimpered - not once!

And I didn't have a convenient bottle of Scotch, good or bad - either!

Bent keyboards! Pffft!