PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a (simple) video editing program that will work with .vob files

Aporosa
26-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi, can anyone please reccommend a cheap (or better still free), easy to use programme similar to Windows Movie Maker that will work with .vob (DVD) files. I need to edit some .vob media but its does not need to be TV quality. I am looking for something like WMM as I know this programe and it would mean that I didn't need to learn a new setup. Any suggestions and web links appreciated. Cheers

Blam
26-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Maybe you could convert the VOB files to avi then edit with MM?

Aporosa
26-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Yip, have done that in the past but then you loose alot of quality. The final product doesn't have to be flash, but I would like to keep the quality. Unless you know of aan easy (free) way to convery vob to high quality AVI, mmmmm, that would be good!!

Terry Porritt
26-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Not sure what sort of editing you want to do, But I use DVD Knife to extract clips from DVDs. It's freeware and less than 4MB.

http://www.vcsoftwares.com/dk.html

davidmmac
26-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I asked a question similar not so long ago.

It turned out that WMM and this (http://videospin.com/)are about the best free products on the market (I never got round to trying the latter though).

I tried some free open source software, but it was a bit buggy and didn't feel "ready" if you know what I mean ;).

jwil1
26-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Change the extension from VOB to MPG and you can edit them in Windows Movie maker.

Aporosa
27-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks jwil1!! I like nice simple solutions!! BUT this has created another issue:
I changed the file extension from .vob to .mpg. I CAN open and play the file in Windows Media Player but when I try to import the file into Windows Movie Maker a window pops up saying:

"The file C:\DVD Temp files\Southern Lau\VTS_01_1.MPG cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

Thanks Windows for telling me the actual codex name, derrr!! And why will Windows Media Player play it then?? Ok, so I ran G-Spot and it says all is fine. I turned on the Windows Movie Maker, Tools/ Options/ Download codecs automatically and nothing, but still the same problem. I then had a look on the net and the MS Windows site but couldn't find THE codex.

Can someone please tell me if they have had this problem and what codex (direct me to the actual link) they used. Man, always a drama with computers.......... cheers

Rod J
27-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Not sure what sort of editing you want to do, But I use DVD Knife to extract clips from DVDs. It's freeware and less than 4MB.

http://www.vcsoftwares.com/dk.html

I tried downloading that utility (finally after finding the download button amongst all the Google ads :annoyed: ) but my ESET AntiVirus found it was infected with "probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent.NMA application" :crying

I didn't get a chance to try it out because ESET quarantined it immediately.

Chilling_Silence
27-06-2009, 04:59 PM
If you're just wanting to trim / chop them, then use DVDShrink :)

Aporosa
27-06-2009, 06:26 PM
No, I'm not wanting to crop or know about DVD Knife. Can someone please help with answering what codex I need and where do I find it - the question as posed here:

I changed the file extension from .vob to .mpg. I CAN open and play the file in Windows Media Player but when I try to import the file into Windows Movie Maker a window pops up saying:

"The file C:\DVD Temp files\Southern Lau\VTS_01_1.MPG cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again."

Thanks Windows for telling me the actual codex name, derrr!! And why will Windows Media Player play it then?? Ok, so I ran G-Spot and it says all is fine. I turned on the Windows Movie Maker, Tools/ Options/ Download codecs automatically and nothing, but still the same problem. I then had a look on the net and the MS Windows site but couldn't find THE codex.

Can someone please tell me if they have had this problem and what codex (direct me to the actual link) they used. Man, always a drama with computers.......... cheers

Terry Porritt
27-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I tried downloading that utility (finally after finding the download button amongst all the Google ads :annoyed: ) but my ESET AntiVirus found it was infected with "probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent.NMA application" :crying

I didn't get a chance to try it out because ESET quarantined it immediately.

I see no ads whatsoever :)
Eset is probably returning a false positive, Avast does not blink an eye over it, neither do the antispyware progs I have.

There is also mp3 knife for simple editing of audio files.

kahawai chaser
27-06-2009, 06:41 PM
The windows essential codec pack might help: At Snapfiles Freeware (http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/essentials-codec-pack/essentials-codec-pack.html) (Read and review if suitable)...

davidmmac
27-06-2009, 06:51 PM
No, I'm not wanting to crop or know about DVD Knife. Can someone please help with answering what codex I need and where do I find it - the question as posed here:

You've changed the container (.vob to .mpg) but you haven't changed the codec (the bit inside the container).

To change the codec you need to convert the video. There are many (many) products around that will do this. If you are familiar with formats and codec etc, you could try SUPER (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html) (free), if you aren't so familiar with formats and codecs, try this (http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/) (also free). I would recommend converting the video into WMV (for ease of use with WMM), finally, converting video takes time (depending on how long the clip is) so be prepared for a long wait :thumbs:.

Aporosa
28-06-2009, 05:44 PM
:clap:clap:clap

YES, IT IS POSSIBLE TO EDIT .VOB (DVD) FILES IN WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER!! Read on...... (thanks to jwil1 and Kawawai Chaser for your key pieces of information.

For those who may view this at a later date, here the low down:

I wanted to edit .vob media (DVD) files in Windows Movie Maker. Do do this I had to:

1. Change the file extension from .VOB to .MPG.
2. If Windows Movie Maker does not allow you to import the .MPG files "because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer" (as seen in the pop-up window), download and install the "Windows Essential Codec Pack from http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/essentials-codec-pack/essentials-codec-pack.html
3. I imported the .MPG file into Windows Movie Maker but when I tried to drop and drag the file into the "TIMELINE" (bottom of the screen), it would only drop into the Audio/Music line and refuse to display the video media. I changed the "TIMELINE" view to "STORYBOARD" view (click on "Show Storyboard") and re dropped the file and all was GOOD!! I am now sucessfully editing .VOB files in Windows Movie Maker using an XP platform.

Thanks to all who have helped and I hope this will assist others who find themselves in this predicament. Cheers....... :rolleyes::punk

kahawai chaser
28-06-2009, 10:16 PM
It's good that it's sorted, however did not think of the basic idea of renaming the file extension from VOB to MPG; I think many of us are used to the many freeware movie converters, i.e. from VOB to MPG...