PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2007 on Vista using 500MB memory

matti_seikkula
26-06-2009, 12:10 AM
greetings,

Outlook 2007 on our Vista Business PC (32bit) at home uses almost 500MB RAM (checked using task manager). We have only 60 mail messages in it, all junk/spam removed, pst file is 40MB and all add-ins except search disabled.

On my Vista business (32bit) laptop I have 2GB pst and 4000 emails, but Outlook 2007 uses only 20MB RAM. Vista and Office on both PCs have all patches installed.

Any idea what is going on?

When I start Outlook (on home PC) on safe mode (CTRL down) it uses 10MB.

Why is this a problem - well, occasionally emails cannot be opened, but just show blank black screen. A couple of times an error message said that Outlook was running out of memory.

I have uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled it but no difference (did not uninstall the whole office though).

Speedy Gonzales
26-06-2009, 12:30 AM
Is SP2 for Office installed?

matti_seikkula
26-06-2009, 12:37 AM
yes

Saucy
26-06-2009, 01:31 AM
It sounds like you have a moemory hogging add-in if safe mode makes such a big difference. You can check what add-ins are running by going to the Pearl, the Outlook Options, then Addins. I might have the names a bit wrong because I don't have it in front of me but that should be enough to find it. You can disable the addins from there.

It could easily be some other software you have on your computer like antivirus that insists it needs to interfere.

Also try Office Diagnostics in case it's a configuration error but that sounds less likely from what you said.

beeswax34
26-06-2009, 04:13 AM
It sounds like you have a moemory hogging add-in if safe mode makes such a big difference. You can check what add-ins are running by going to the Pearl, the Outlook Options, then Addins. I might have the names a bit wrong because I don't have it in front of me but that should be enough to find it. You can disable the addins from there.

It could easily be some other software you have on your computer like antivirus that insists it needs to interfere.

Also try Office Diagnostics in case it's a configuration error but that sounds less likely from what you said.

He's already stated that all add-in's are disabled except search.

Saucy
26-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh yeah I missed that. It's interesting there's such a difference with safe mode, that still suggests to me there is something else loading but maybe not playing nice with the Outlook plug-in manager.

pctek
26-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Done a malware check?

matti_seikkula
27-06-2009, 02:02 AM
malware checked, used latest versions of both adaware and spybot. Antivirus software is nOD32.

thanks guys for trying to help , this is a real puzzle.

matti_seikkula
27-06-2009, 02:07 AM
oh yeah, two other differences I can think of between my laptop (20MBRAM) and desktop (500MBRAM):
- antivirus software - laptop = AVG8, desktop = NOD32
- graphics card - laptop = radeon, desktop = nvidia

Saucy
27-06-2009, 11:49 AM
I'd try temporarily disabling Outlook integration for NOD32 to see if that makes a difference. I don't know NOD32, it might take an OS restart to test properly if it makes a difference.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2158

matti_seikkula
06-07-2009, 08:44 PM
okay, tried disabling the NOD32, but made no difference.

Any other ideas anyone?

Blam
06-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Boot up in Safe Mode and see if it happens

(Tap F8 on boot)

Blam