PDA

View Full Version : Now heres one you dont see everyday..

Damz
25-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Right, well I have just got one of these screens, real cheap.

Clicky (http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/8-VGA-AV-Touch-Screen-Car-PC-TFT-LCD-XGA-Monitor-BE_W0QQitemZ130310258173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBEFR_Ec rans_1?hash=item1e5718bdfd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1399%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50)

Unfortunately it was lacking most of the accessories, one of which, was the USB to RCA cable.

Iv searched around the net, and trademe looking to buy one, but no luck.

Iv soldered together lots of different types of AV cables, but never with a USB plug, any tips?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Erayd
25-06-2009, 10:27 PM
There's no such thing as a USB<-->RCA cable. USB systems don't use RCA plugs.

If you're talking about something with USB on one end and RCA on the other, it would have had some sort of video capture or display device built into it, or a soundcard, or both. Are you sure it wasn't just a standard A/V cable with a USB extension built into it?

Blam
25-06-2009, 10:34 PM
You can get USB>VGA but not RCA.

Damz
25-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I though the same mate, but have a look at the link, and then at the pics of the accessories. I think they have just used the usb as a method of carrying the AV signal, and using a single input plug.

Im part way through opening the screen now, might post a pic shortly

Erayd
25-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Aaah - that would make sense, although it violates the spec for that plug :-). Everybody else uses the standard 3.5mm 4-pin camcorder plug/jack for sending analogue A/V signals when they have limited space :p.

You're unlikely to find a cable for it if you want to get it from anywhere but the vendor - as a rule, nobody really sells standards-violating cables unless they're in common use, or the party selling them is the vendor for the device they go with.

Maybe time to break out the soldering iron and roll your own?

Agent_24
25-06-2009, 11:09 PM
What is the cable for? IF a USB to RCA cable existed, and it was for the purpose of inputting audio into a PC then it would have a USB-powered audio device hidden inside the plug somewhere.

If it's as others have said, just a standards-violating way to plug one thing into another then making your own will be easy.

Just buy some cable and the right plugs. Ones that are sold with the intention of being soldered by a person and not built by factory machine would be designed differently. It would be easy to do.

OR just buy a cheap USB extension cable or otherwise from $2 shop etc, chop one end off and attach your RCA plugs....

Rob99
25-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Look as the USB end goes into the monitor, there also looks to be a VGA cable so you may get away without this funny cable.

Gobe1
26-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Its for the touch screen thingy, emulates the mouse, not video

Damz
29-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Thought I had better end this thread, in case somebody stumbles across the same problem but the thread had no conclusion, I hate that!

Basically, what Agent 24 said.

Whipped out the soldering iron and multimeter, found which "Prong" on the usb was video input (via trial and error) and soldered a female rca plug onto it with about a meter of cable. Done!

Theres a seperate usb coming out of the bottom of the screen for the touch screen function, which is also cool.

So there you have it, one seriously violated usb input..!

Agent_24
29-06-2009, 10:41 PM
:lol:

Good to see you got it working - and I agree, it's nice to post the outcome