PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get machine to work on network

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Ok

Before my recent connection probs, I was part way through a manual uninstall of an AV, did a reboot and when the machine came up I could no longer access the net, or even ping the router
did an ipconfig found that the IP address of the affected computer started with 169 rather than 192, so i checked all the connections and rebooted but still the same prob.

So I manually entered all the settings in the network connections properties box (previously they were all set to obtain whatever automatically), after this i could ping the router but don't seem to get a lot further.

After that i searched on the web (using my computer which has no issues) and basically everything told me to do what i had already done

I have tried flushing my dns cache etc etc

but I just don't seem to be able to get anywhere

I also wrote a big long post describing the problem in detail and pressed submit new thread and then my Internet connection dropped dead for the next 9 days, i was kinda hoping that the message had actually been posted, but obviously not

any help would be greatly appreciated

CYaBro
25-06-2009, 03:18 PM
You haven't just installed SP3 have you?

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 03:28 PM
nope and i don't have any wish to do so, this machine hasn't been updated in ages and has run perfectly fine for the purposes for which it is used

inphinity
25-06-2009, 03:28 PM
You say you can ping the router. Assuming that's still the case, can you ping external IP addresses, such as 74.125.127.99?

If so, it's a DNS issue. If not, it's a routing issue.

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Well thats odd
it does allow me to ping the address you gave. (didn't work when the prob happened last week)

the DNS servers i am using on that machine are the primary orcon one and one of the open DNS ones, (I decided a scattergun approach would cover all bases), I added them about an hour ago replacing the ones that were there

Still doesn't explain why it won't try and obtain an IP etc from the router when it is set to do so though

and still can't access the web apart from pinging

inphinity
25-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Do you have any sort of security or VPN software installed on the machine at all?

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 04:03 PM
nope, not even windows firewall

inphinity
25-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Can you access the web interface of the router from that PC?

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Change the primary DNS to the router's and the alternate to Orcons primary DNS server ip addy. The browser isnt using a proxy is it?

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Change the primary DNS to the router's and the alternate to Orcons primary DNS server ip addy. The browser isnt using a proxy is it?

how would i check if it's using a proxy, (i don't think it is)

so the primary DNS would be 192.168.1.1 (the routers address)

I can still numerical addresses (74.125.127.99) but i can't ping address like google.com

stormdragon
25-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Have you scanned the machine for malware?

What was the AV you removed?

inphinity
25-06-2009, 04:27 PM
What happens if you runs nslookup?
Once it's running, what happens if you type an address like google.com?

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2009, 04:55 PM
If youre using IE tools / internet options / lan settings / proxy server. If FF, tools / options / advanced / connection / settings. Yer whatever the ip of the router is, put it in alongside primary DNS server

If the AV / whatever was installed was symantec or mcafee. Use the removal tool to kill it completely

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 04:56 PM
running nslookup

Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1 no response from server
Can't find server name for address 60.234.1.1 no response from server
Default Servers are not available
Default server unknown
Address 192.168.1.1

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 05:00 PM
If youre using IE tools / internet options / lan settings / proxy server. If FF, tools / options / advanced / connection / settings. Yer whatever the ip of the router is, put it in alongside primary DNS server

If the AV / whatever was installed was symantec or mcafee. Use the removal tool to kill it completely

Ok- no proxy, I had used the removal tool of the av

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Reset the router / reconfigure it

inphinity
25-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Can you browse to
http://74.125.127.100
? If not, we have an issue with non-ICMP protocols being blocked somewhere.

Do any other PCs share the same connection? If so, do they work?

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Reset the router / reconfigure it

The modem is supplied by orcon i have reset it a few times already and all the other machines work fine

Can you browse to
http://74.125.127.100
? If not, we have an issue with non-ICMP protocols being blocked somewhere.

Do any other PCs share the same connection? If so, do they work?

no I can't browse to that on the problem machine, i can't even access the routers control panel (192.168.1.1) on that machine it just does nothing

All other machines on the network work perfectly they can browse to all addressess including the one you mentioned

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Should also add I have tried
- connecting the problem machine directly to the router (instead of going through my hub)
- Abusing the machine
- replacing the network cables
- rebooting the router, then rebooting the machine

The following is the last ditch thing that i really don't want to do, as the machine doesn't have a working CD Drive, and i can't find the XP disk (I can find every other damn disk)
I am thinking that i may need to delete the network card in device manager and then reboot which should make windows reinstall the network card and the associated setting tcp/ip etc, however without a working cd drive and being unable to access the network that will be a touch difficult, or will windows just automatically have the driver and not need to get a disk for it?

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2009, 05:34 PM
So if there is no cd how did you install the drivers for it?? Thats probably why it doesnt work. Is the LED on the NIC doing something / on? Is the NIC actually enabled in the BIOS? XP probably wont install the NIC drivers. You'll still have to reinstall the NIC drivers (from the mobo manufacturer's site). Download them put them on a USB flash drive then install / reinstall them. You sure whatever you put the ips in was the NIC not something like firewire, which ISNT the NIC.

MushHead
25-06-2009, 05:42 PM
You could use Wireshark to see whether the DHCP requests are being sent over the wire.

Also, there's some DHCP utilities (such as dhcpexplorer) that will scan for all DCP servers (if any) on your network.

inphinity
25-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I thought we had established he was able to ping both internal (router) and external (google) IP addresses? This would indicate that the NIC does have drivers installed, and has correct IP address, subnet, and gateway addresses. However, if I am incorrect in understanding what has been pinged, then yes that may be the case.

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 06:00 PM
ok I seem to have confused the issue, inphinity is correct

This machine has been running fine for a number of years (apart from the cdrom expiring 3 months ago) there have been no hardware changes whatsoever for at least 4 years,

The reason I mentioned uninstalling the nic was that i thought it would reset all the lan settings and hopefully solve the prob

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I can ping the router, other machines on the network, and external ip addresses but thats about it.

Blam
25-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Maybe corrupt Winsock/DNS/ TCP/IP stack?

Try running Winsockfix:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

To me it seems like a DNS issue, but its quite confusing..

Blam

Morgenmuffel
25-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Holy footy sock down the jockstrap batman the winsock thingie worked.

Thanks everyone much appreciated

Blam
25-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Wicked:D

Good 'ol Winsockfix.:)