PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Local Network Username/Password Issue

Markboynz
25-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I feel that this should be easier than I'm making it... but I've gone and confused myself a little.

I have about 5 machines running, all XP Pro, Simple File Sharing turned off, all connected on a LAN. Up until now, sharing has been very simple - they have all been set up with the same username/password, so they all had full access to each other.

Now, for security reasons, I have changed the password on two of the machines. User name is still the same. So, set up is

3 machines: Username/Pass1
2 machines: Username/Pass2

And of course, as would be expected, all hell has broken loose on my network.

My aim is to be able to access shares on all machines from all machines, if you know both the passwords. However, if you only know Pass1, you should only be able to login to the 3 machines with Pass1.

If I'm getting greedy, I'd also like the mapped network drives I had set up to work, even if they required the entry of the second Password.

If necessary, I can change the Usernames on the PCs, but ideally I would like to leave them the same.

Any thoughts as to how I might accomplish this?

inphinity
25-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I believe you'll need to use two different usernames to accomplish this.

Markboynz
25-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Would an alternative be to use the Administrator account to access the shares? In theory should that work, if the Administrator account had the same password across all machines?

SolMiester
25-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Cant say I have tried 2 separate mapping to different PC's with same username and different passwords before...I imagine it could only get confusing. Why dont you just use a different username?

Better still, if security is an issue for you, buy a NAS box with a drive or 2 which can be setup with individual usernames and passwords period....

Markboynz
25-06-2009, 12:29 PM
It's not high-level security, and I'm afraid finances mean that buying additional hardware is out of the question. The hardware is doing everything we require it to.

If I use a different username, where would I need to set up the usernames so that people who know both passwords can access both sets of machines, but people who only know one password can only log onto the 1 set of machines?

stormdragon
25-06-2009, 12:55 PM
When you go to map the network share, theres an option to use a different user name or password. Click on this and input the correct details.

Edit: Image here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/map_network_drives.gif)

BTW Welcome to PressF1

inphinity
25-06-2009, 12:59 PM
The problem is, if you have both accounts set up on both sets of PCs, anyone that knows either login will be able to login to either PC assuming they have physical access.

What you can do to avoid this, is have one of the two accounts on each PC added to the Deny Logon Locally group policy - in the policy editor, its Computer -> Windows -> Security - > Local -> User Rights

Markboynz
25-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks, stormdragon.

I'm sure I used to be here years ago, but no login/pass combos worked, and the system didn't recognise any of my email addresses for a Lost Password send either, so I caved and signed up again.

I'd never noticed the option for different username/pass there, in all my years of using it!

I'm thinking the situation is sortable by putting an Administrator account with the same password on all of them, using that as how the Mapped Net Drives connect, and then people only need to use the individual username/password combos for the machines they have access to.

Seems to solve the issue, at least for now. I've been sorting all this remotely through RDP anyway, so I will see if it achieves what I want it to when I actually get there!

-edit-
And Inphinity - also an excellent suggestion. I had a feeling that that should be achievable, but didn't know my Local Policy settings well enough. Should what I'm doing not achieve what I need, I'll go that way!