PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu

bk T
25-06-2009, 11:49 AM
How bad is the situation in NZ? It seems that the National govt is trying to 'cover-up' something! How many 'confirmed' cases are there right now? The medias somehow have stopped announcing its numbers, and trying to create a 'false' scenario that: 'nothing to worry about'. Can our hospitals cope with this outbreak? From the past, I understand that our hospital already could hardly copy with the winter 'seasonal' flu.

wratterus
25-06-2009, 11:52 AM
It is nothing to worry about, its barely if at all worse than a normal flu, thousands of people die each year from the normal flu, generally elderly or people in countries with limited or no healthcare and poor living conditions.

There isn't even 200 deaths worldwide from this swine flu yet!

It is the biggest bullshit fest. They are probably just trying to freak everyone out to get rid of the tamiflu that was left over from the bird flu 'pandemic' cause its about to expire.

:sleep

somebody
25-06-2009, 11:56 AM
They've stopped reporting numbers because they've stopped counting - the number of tests which would have to be carried out are simply too high for the labs to cope. More importantly, there isn't much point, since swine flu seems to be no worse than the regular flu. If it was causing a whole heap of deaths (like SARS), then it would be worth keeping a closer eye on it.

mikebartnz
25-06-2009, 02:53 PM
It is nothing to worry about, its barely if at all worse than a normal flu, thousands of people die each year from the normal flu, generally elderly or people in countries with limited or no healthcare and poor living conditions.

There isn't even 200 deaths worldwide from this swine flu yet!

It is the biggest bullshit fest. They are probably just trying to freak everyone out to get rid of the tamiflu that was left over from the bird flu 'pandemic' cause its about to expire.

:sleep
+1
I wonder what the news media have missed while they been running around like blue assed flies over a little flu. They seem to keep bring up a new scare of one sort or another just to keep our minds off the important things in life.

pctek
25-06-2009, 03:10 PM
NZ:
7971 deaths from cancer

5807 deaths from ischaemic heart disease

2587 deaths from cerebrovascular disease

839 deaths from diabetes

405 deaths from car accidents

World:
1124620 deaths from cardiovascular disease

488599 deaths from cancer

105342 deaths from TB

61310 deaths from malaria

208741 deaths from HIV/AIDS

125778 deaths from diarrhoeral illnesses

415 deaths from leprosy

What cover up? You're panicking about nothing.

beeswax34
25-06-2009, 06:21 PM
There are around 320 cases in NZ either in quarantine or confirmed but no deaths yet.

gary67
25-06-2009, 08:31 PM
How bad is the situation in NZ? It seems that the National govt is trying to 'cover-up' something! How many 'confirmed' cases are there right now? The medias somehow have stopped announcing its numbers, and trying to create a 'false' scenario that: 'nothing to worry about'. Can our hospitals cope with this outbreak? From the past, I understand that our hospital already could hardly copy with the winter 'seasonal' flu.

Don't let some members read that as JK and his minions can do no wrong apparently :(:annoyed:

Twelvevolts
25-06-2009, 11:48 PM
It seems that the National govt is trying to 'cover-up' something! .

Yeah I heard someone fired a shot at a hovering UFO from a grassy knoll outside Parliament today.

Twelvevolts
25-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Don't let some members read that as JK and his minions can do no wrong apparently :(:annoyed:

Mmm - or was that JFK - the plot thickens.

gary67
26-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Definately JK he reminds me soo much of Tony (I am holier than though Blair) it's not funny

forrest44
26-06-2009, 04:40 PM
has anyone on here had swine flu yet? If so, cam you describe it to us?

pctek
26-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd say it's just like all the other flus. You ache severely and you have no energy at all. Sitting in one spot is exhausting.

kenj
26-06-2009, 07:17 PM
You ache severely and you have no energy at all. Sitting in one spot is exhausting.

To my mind, that seems the same symptons as "gettin' older"

Now I know I have had swineflu for some time now :thanks

Ken ;)

robbyp
27-06-2009, 02:28 PM
has anyone on here had swine flu yet? If so, cam you describe it to us?

The is no way to tell if you have got normal flu or the swine, because they are no lonfer testing for it.

sarel
28-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I've just recovered from it. Like normal flu, but a bit milder - the only difference is that I had a temp of 38.9 or something as well (with seasonal flu I do not get the temp bit). Quite a bit of coughing as well. I probably picked it up from a patient at my place of work.

sarel

bk T
28-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I've just recovered from it. Like normal flu, but a bit milder - the only difference is that I had a temp of 38.9 or something as well (with seasonal flu I do not get the temp bit). Quite a bit of coughing as well. I probably picked it up from a patient at my place of work.

sarel

How did they confirm it's A-H1N1? Sent a sample (what sample?) to the laboratory to test?

Am I right to say that, physically there is no difference between normal flu and H1N1 other than sending the sample to the laboratory?

If that's the case, how do GPs diagnose? Surely most (if not all) GPs' clinics don't have the facility to perform the tests.

Lovelee
28-06-2009, 10:49 AM
The problem with saying - I had mild symptoms - is that your neighbour may well experience something quite different. Like any flu or illness, we all get affected differently - thats cos - we are all different.

I spoke to my doc about it last week, Ive been going to him for ages and we know each other fairly well. He said - Ive decided from all the info we have recieved (and weve read more than the man in the street) that this was released by the drug companies because of the use-by date on the Tamiflu. They had to be used up, rather than discarded. They (the drug companies) couldnt release something really bad cos they dont want to LOOSE their clients (the public) they just wanna make them sick.

The truth is - its a flu - not a bloody cold!! Some will get it bad, others wont, if you have underlying other illnesses, then a visit to the doc, or at least ringing him for advise is best. Going to the surgery with the flu of any type is just silly!!

Go to bed, lotsa water and maggi chicken soup (it replaces the salts lost in perspiration) sleep and rest. And the world will still be there when you feel better :waughh:

somebody
28-06-2009, 01:38 PM
How did they confirm it's A-H1N1? Sent a sample (what sample?) to the laboratory to test?

Am I right to say that, physically there is no difference between normal flu and H1N1 other than sending the sample to the laboratory?

If that's the case, how do GPs diagnose? Surely most (if not all) GPs' clinics don't have the facility to perform the tests.

In the early days, the media was reporting that they were taking throat swabs and sending them off to a lab for testing. That was the only way they could know for sure.

Twelvevolts
28-06-2009, 06:13 PM

sarel

That sounds like the cold that is going around - pretty horrible though.

mikebartnz
28-06-2009, 08:57 PM
That sounds like the cold that is going around - pretty horrible though.
When was the last time you had a cold with a temperature.

robsonde
28-06-2009, 09:36 PM
my flatmate currently has flu, doctor say it's probly swine flu but, "no point in testing as we will treat it all the same".

had temperature of 39.2 yesterday, back to 37.9 today.

my boss has asked me to work from home, even though I am fit as fiddle.

somebody
28-06-2009, 09:39 PM
my flatmate currently has flu, doctor say it's probly swine flu but, "no point in testing as we will treat it all the same".

had temperature of 39.2 yesterday, back to 37.9 today.

my boss has asked me to work from home, even though I am fit as fiddle.

Unfortunately you can still be a carrier of the flu (swine or otherwise) even if you are not showing any symptoms.

wratterus
28-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Interesting - I've had a cold with a bit of a temperature and headaches the last few days, never had anything like it before. It's not particularly bad, just different. Hasn't stopped me from doing anything. Could it be the swine flu? If so...why on earth is anyone at all concerned about it?

I still reckon the government is scheming us to get rid of all the tamiflu. :horrified

robsonde
28-06-2009, 11:05 PM
I
I still reckon the government is scheming us to get rid of all the tamiflu. :horrified

you really think that John Key has the power to start a world wide pandemic?

I feel that swine flu is real.
but I also think that the media are making it out to be much worse than it real is.

and as for using the swine flu to get rid of the tamiflu...
why have they restricted it to only the worst cases?

some people still think Elvis is alive...
some will always think swine flu is not real.
some may even think the world is flat.