PDA

View Full Version : Changing LAN IP - Thompson TG585V7

Geek4414
24-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Been trying to find out how to change the LAN IP of a Thompson TG585V7, but there doesn't seem to be any where in the GUI that I can do that.

Someone suggested that the GUI is useless and we need to use the CLI, however the person I am helping does not know what the password is and I have had no luck googling the default password for this modem/router.

I've tried to call xtra and they keep wanting me to go into the Broadband section which is more for the WAN stuff.

The reason I want to change the LAN IP is that the default 192.168.1.x segment is same as the office LAN we're trying to connect to, so the RDP over VPN connection isn't working. I have came across this problem before and the only way I know how to get around it is to change the LAN IP segment on the user end (obviously, we can't change the LAN settings on the office end).

Does any one know ...

1. The default password
2. How to change the LAN IP
3. Resolve the RDP over VPN issue without changing the LAN IP??

Any ideas??

Speedy Gonzales
24-06-2009, 11:12 PM
One site says the password maybe the serial number of the modem. Or reset it, then reconfigure it

HAL9000
25-06-2009, 01:38 AM
1. Login via GUI.
2. Create new admin user and password.
3. Now you can login via Telnet CLI.

After all that.

Toss the modem and get something half decent that doesn't lock you out of things like setting custom DNS and changing LAN IP addresses.

Ciao

mikebartnz
25-06-2009, 01:57 AM
If it is one of those cheap Telecom jobs and the password hasn't been set since new it is blank i.e. there isn't one.
Once in there it is easy to change the IP.

gary67
25-06-2009, 07:39 AM
1. Login via GUI.
2. Create new admin user and password.
3. Now you can login via Telnet CLI.

After all that.

Toss the modem and get something half decent that doesn't lock you out of things like setting custom DNS and changing LAN IP addresses.

Ciao

not very helpful :groan:

linw
25-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Yep, change internal IP from menu 'Home Network/Interface devices. There is an edit and configuration option there.

Userid is 'Administrator'.

Geek4414
25-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Yep, change internal IP from menu 'Home Network/Interface devices. There is an edit and configuration option there.

Userid is 'Administrator'.

Umm, yes, I had a look in there, but you can change the IP of other connected device but the router itself.

inphinity
25-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Umm, yes, I had a look in there, but you can change the IP of other connected device but the router itself.

Home Network -> Interfaces -> Local Network -> Configure

linw
25-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Don't understand your problem. My LAN address is the default 192.168.1.254 but I can click edit and change it. Let's face it, it HAS to be changeable.

sroby
25-06-2009, 02:50 PM
not very helpful :groan:

But accurate
May not relate to your modem but.....
If its one of those Telecom modems, dont waste your time (honestly)
The cheaper one evidently has a secret Telecom login/pass they that wont give out as well as the user login/no-pass. The secret login may give more config options.
evidently it uses 2 ip subnets, 2nd one is for the secret login.

This info was from a telecom Tech, he said they wont give out that 2nd
secret login/pass to anyone.

Geek4414
26-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Home Network -> Interfaces -> Local Network -> Configure

Wish it was that simple, tried every clickable option and menu I can find, no such luck.

Don't understand your problem. My LAN address is the default 192.168.1.254 but I can click edit and change it. Let's face it, it HAS to be changeable.

I know how to configure adsl modem/routers, have done zillions of them, this is the only one I have come acrossed that has no option to configure the LAN IP.

I am not sure if your Thompson is the Telecom issued one? This one has no editible LAN IP option for the router itself, you can only change the IP for the other connected device.

Common sense would dictate that it has to be changable but I have read from a few places that the LAN IP setting is in fact not accessible in this router from the GUI, only when you telnet into the CLI.

But accurate
May not relate to your modem but.....
If its one of those Telecom modems, dont waste your time (honestly)
The cheaper one evidently has a secret Telecom login/pass they that wont give out as well as the user login/no-pass. The secret login may give more config options.
evidently it uses 2 ip subnets, 2nd one is for the secret login.

This info was from a telecom Tech, he said they wont give out that 2nd
secret login/pass to anyone.

That doesn't sound very promising. >_<

In that case, does anyone have any advice on how to get around the VPN & RDP problem if I can't change the LAN IP of this modem/router??

I have successfully connected to the destination PC via VPN & RDP, so long as I am doing it from a router with a different IP segment (i.e. 10.1.1.x), but not able to connect from any router with the IP segment of (192.168.x.x) because it 'appears' to clash with the destination LAN segment.

I suspect that is because the destination IP segment being the same as the local one, the RDP session would not try to reach over the VPN to find the destination PC but instead trying to find it within the local LAN? Is this correct? If not, does anyone have any explanations?? Or better still, a solution??

inphinity
26-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Wish it was that simple, tried every clickable option and menu I can find, no such luck.

I suspect that is because the destination IP segment being the same as the local one, the RDP session would not try to reach over the VPN to find the destination PC but instead trying to find it within the local LAN? Is this correct? If not, does anyone have any explanations?? Or better still, a solution??

Then it is an issue related to the login you are using not having the rights to change it, as I have changed the LAN IP of this exact model router with the method above.

As for the VPN problem - you need to have two different IP ranges.