PDA

View Full Version : Cant Ctrl + Home

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey all,

So I have a bit of a problem with using Ctrl + Home or Ctrl + XYZ

Basically I frequently use Ctrl + 1 while playing DotA to assign a hotkey, but I cant seem to do that at the moment (Regardless of me using Left Ctrl or Right Ctrl).
I then noticed that I cant use Left Ctrl + Home, but I can use Right Ctrl + Home.
I cant however use Ctrl (Either) + End, but just "end" on its own works.

Ive checked the regional / accessibility settings and all seem fine, nothing out of the ordinary. No additional running apps, I've rebooted, trimmed down extra crap from startup, nothing ...

Any ideas why I cant Ctrl + XYZ?
Its worth noting that I can still Shift + Home or Shift + End (But that highlights the line, Ctrl + Home takes you to the start of the paragraph).
Ctrl + Shift + Home doesnt work either ...

Thanks

Chill.

Agent_24
24-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Is there some other program which might be interfering and capturing those shortcuts for itself?

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2009, 05:14 PM
That was what I wondered, but I dont believe so..

Process list attached: Process_list.png (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Process_list.png) (38 KB)

Blam
24-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Hmm...try safe mode, just to rule out possible programs intefering

Ofthesea
24-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Don't know but someone somewhere recommended "Ethervane ActiveHotkeys" to establish what keys are currently mapped FYI just google and download.

Blam
24-06-2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=18189.msg162881#msg162881

mikebartnz
25-06-2009, 01:06 AM
You are not running a virtual machine are you because VirtualBox uses the right Ctrl key unless redefined.

Chilling_Silence
26-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah I did have VirtualBox (not running), but the problem was the left Ctrl ;)

Basically I restarted into Gentoo Linux (Plan is to go anti-windows for a fortnight for a variety of reasons) and I noticed it was *still* happening.

Replaced the keyboard with an el-cheapo $7.50 Laser one from PBTech and its all working now :D
The keyboards nice, takes a bit of bashing on the keys at times, but its pretty quiet I must admit. The Ctrl key seems a little far away from the "t" for some reason, so opening a new tab feels a little unnatural. I guess after the iPhone, 2x EeePCs and the last keyboard, I'm not used to such large keys :p