PDA

View Full Version : noob reformatting

JustinR
24-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi guys,

im no expert when it comes to my pc but after three years it seems to me that my computer is in need of a format.

Ive run anti-virus spyware malware blah blah, defragged, cleaned as much as I can out of the registery, and physically cleaned the componants but it still runs alot slower than it used to (based on frame rate and performance with games that used to run perfectly). It was also one of the first computers pre loaded with Vista so its not quite specced enough for it.

I've got a XP pro SP3 cd that Im considering using to format the drives but Im wondering if its possible to find out a list of all the drivers my pc is using so that im not searching around for ever after I do it??

Also any tips on things I should do before I format or important things I have to backup?

Rob99
24-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Boot from the CD and follow the prompts.

I wouldnt back up any of your stuff unless you think you want to keep it.

For the drivers, just download them from the website of the manufacturer.

Blam
24-06-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/index.htm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/

Either of those utilities can export the drivers to a flash drive, then you can restore thjem when you reinstall, saves alot of time:)

As for the installing bit, most steps are quite straightforward, just follow the simple prompts

Blam

JustinR
24-06-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/index.htm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/

Either of those utilities can export the drivers to a flash drive, then you can restore thjem when you reinstall, saves alot of time:)

As for the installing bit, most steps are quite straightforward, just follow the simple prompts

Blam

awesome thanks thats just what I was looking for.

Im a bit nervous about doing it to be honest but its becoming rediculous

JustinR
24-06-2009, 01:02 PM
is my hardware going to have any problems running XP sp3 if it can handle vista?

Agent_24
24-06-2009, 01:03 PM
is my hardware going to have any problems running XP sp3 if it can handle vista?

No. Vista is a lot more demanding than XP, so XP will run better!

Blam
24-06-2009, 01:28 PM
No. Vista is a lot more demanding than XP, so XP will run better!

Definetly agree there!

nate
24-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Take a screenshot of your device manager, so at least after a reinstall if you have any hardware that isn't recognised, you don't have to crack open your case to read the serial number of any PCI cards.

Also, make sure whatever media you're transferring your files to is reliable. I've had a second hard-drive die just as I tried restoring my data off it. Not fun.

gary67
24-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Just make sure XP drivers are available if this is a Vista machine as often they are not.

JustinR
25-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Just make sure XP drivers are available if this is a Vista machine as often they are not.

sorry I dont really understand doesnt the driver come with the OS?

inphinity
25-06-2009, 08:23 AM
sorry I dont really understand doesnt the driver come with the OS?

Only for hardware that was common and microsoft decided to provide drivers for when the particular OS you're using was built.

Blam
25-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Only for hardware that was common and microsoft decided to provide drivers for when the particular OS you're using was built.

Yep, most drivers will have to be downloaded off the manufacturers site.

Agent_24
25-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Microsoft provides a lot of common drivers but often if these do work they are for maximum compatibility and NOT for maximum performance.

To get the maximum performance and to enable any devices that do not have a Windows-included driver you must download and install them yourself.

This is usually not that hard, you just need to know what hardware you have.

If you've got a brand name PC (HP, Dell, Compaq etc) it's easy to get the drivers from them. If you built your PC yourself or it was a custom job then you need to do a bit more work.

If you download a program like Everest now, you can find out all this information...

gary67
25-06-2009, 07:26 PM
And you still have to make sure the drivers are compatible with XP as most Vista ones are not

JustinR
29-06-2009, 08:47 AM
thanks for the help guys, just got a reliable external drive so starting the backup now. Will let you know how it goes...hopefully from my own working pc

:thanks

JustinR
30-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok so the computers now reformatted with a nice shiny version of XP SP3 and I have a nice blank desktop and no drivers. As expected the drivers I backed up are all Vista compatible versions so Im on a mission to find them but first I need to get my internet back up.

Do I just need a modem driver to get it up and running?

I dont remember initially installing any software last time I just plugged the broadband modem straight into my pc, so Im assuming its just a driver im missing.

I have a word document with screenshots of my device manager pre format if you need any info.

Blam
30-06-2009, 08:23 AM
You probably just need network adapter drivers, for your mobo.

JustinR
30-06-2009, 08:41 AM
So if im looking in the right place of the device manager shots that would be the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - sound right?

Blam
30-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Yep, that should be the one

JustinR
30-06-2009, 08:48 AM
legend i'll try that out tonight,

cheers

Agent_24
30-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Do you know what chipset your board is?

Something like nForce 4 etc?

You can easily download the drivers for it from www.nvidia.com

if it asks to install "network access manager" click NO

JustinR
30-06-2009, 11:54 AM
https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/05/RQ454AA.htm

this is my pc so I think its the nForce 430

do I need the Agere PCI soft modem driver that my old comp had or was that some superfluous driver for some other hardware?

Rob99
30-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Just checked hp, they seem not to have XP drivers via their website.

You could try the Vista drivers, or phone hp and they will be able to direct you to the XP drivers if they exist.

feersumendjinn
30-06-2009, 05:24 PM
do I need the Agere PCI soft modem driver that my old comp had
Not needed if you're not on dialup internet

Agent_24
30-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Since you have nForce 430 start off with these: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/15.26/15.26_nforce_winxp32_international_whql.exe

That will get your chipset and LAN drivers sorted.

Then you will just need the Video and Audio drivers

According to that page you have the GeForce 7500LE, if that's true then get these http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/186.18/186.18_desktop_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe

Apparently your board is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00714578&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us

Audio should be http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false (Get Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file))

Install chipset drivers first

JustinR
01-07-2009, 08:32 AM
ok so I've installed a driver for the nForce 430, GeForce 7500, Agere PCI softmodem, and Realtek audio.

Sound is working, graphics card appears to be working, network symbol shows limited connectivity but wont pick up internet.

biggest problem is whenever I try to run any .exe file (particularly autoruns from CD's) my pc either crashes completely or gives me some memory or other error.

When I put in a game CD to test graphics the computer just rebooted when it tried to load it.

When I put in a viewsonic monitor installation CD windows explorer crashed and I had to reboot.

At least I can listen to music while I bash my case now.

Agent_24
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
I assume it only started doing this after you installed the drivers? One of them may be causing a problem.

What exactly is this "Memory error" you're getting? Does the PC crash with blue screen of death?

JustinR
02-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Does the PC crash with blue screen of death?

Haha I love it, I realised I had slightly the wrong driver for my mobo so I uninstalled that and my CD/dvd drive and rebooted/reinstalled with the proper driver.

Seems to be working perfectly now :D

Now I just need to solve the internet problem so I can update everything.

My PCI communicator still shows a question mark on the device manager, what does a PCI communicator do?

Blam
02-07-2009, 08:29 AM
They're usually a modem or network card...

Right Click>Properties>Details>Paste the HArdware ID here

Blam

Agent_24
02-07-2009, 12:12 PM
What was wrong with the chipset drivers? And which ones did you install?

If you installed the correct ones from nVidia then your LAN should also be installed too.

Sweep
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
The PCI is probably your Agere Dialup Modem unless you have a PCI network card as well as the onboard network.

JustinR
03-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I think your right sweep, forgot I put in an internal dial up modem. Couldn't connect straight into the broadband modem so just bought a wireless dongle and now internet is working great.

The new driver was one suggested by hp and fixed all the problems I had opening apps and things.

So computers pretty much all go now, thanks for all the help guys much appreciated.