PDA

View Full Version : Need A Script For This - Anyone?

SurferJoe46
24-06-2009, 04:10 AM
M$ has issued a notice, as has Symantec - that there's a new Trojan that will hijack 2000, XP and a few other opsys.

Here's the gist of it:

"....silently redirects visitors to another URL that hosts the DirectShow attack code, which is in the form of a malicious .avi file.

Multiple malformed .dll files are also loaded onto the victimised system; those .dlls, in turn, load an encoded .exe payload that then downloads and installs a Trojan horse that adds the compromised PC to a growing botnet.

Although a patch is not yet available, Microsoft has suggested that users disable QuickTime parsing on Windows 2000, XP and Server 2003 machines.

QuickTime, which is Apple's media player, is not flawed, but the QuickTime parser in DirectShow, a component of DirectX, however is."

Since the next update for M$ is in the middle of July, can anyone write a small set of instructions to access the run>>regedit-mode and tell how to drill down to the correct place to change the registry?

What ISN'T needed is admonishments to stay away from nasty sites or not get phished nor the constant bickering about the failure(s) of Symantec/Norton/McAfee in the first place - as many people who get malware don't really know what happened anyway.

I was just thinking it would be nice to have a set of instructions to edit their registry to help those hapless souls who DO get into trouble - even in ignorance. OK? The registry can be a scary place to most neophytes and some seasoned others too.

apsattv
24-06-2009, 04:37 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971778

Rob99
24-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I would uninstall that crap software, and do without or fine an alternative.

Blam
24-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I would uninstall that crap software, and do without or fine an alternative.

QT Alternative:)