PDA

View Full Version : CD titles - how to do

R.M.
23-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I am in the process of putting some old (very old!) tapes onto a CD. Is anyone able to tell me how to get the titles to show, rather than just:
Track 01, Track 02 etc?

As always, TIA. :)

Rob99
24-06-2009, 12:51 AM
With your keyboard, type them in.

Agent_24
24-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Are you writing them as audio CDs or as data?

If it's an audio CD it won't matter, but if it's data then I guess you will want a sensible filename.

There is no way for your PC to work out what the tapes were called, so like Rob99 said you will have to manually rename the files to whatever you want. If they are MP3s etc

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2009, 01:27 AM
MusicBrainz?

http://musicbrainz.org/doc/AboutMusicBrainz
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Products

R.M.
24-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I thought I had it sussed last night - I used Nero 6 and was able to put the names into properties. But no, they still didn't show up when I opened Quintessential Player (I use that as my default music player).

I am saving and burning in .wav format, not .mp3, so not sure about your suggestion, Chil.

I want the name of each track to show up in the player, not the 'whole' - so don't know yet. I am recording an 'audio' disk, not a 'data' disk.

Agent - WHERE do you manually rename each file - I would be happy to do that if I could work out where to do it!

I DID do it in a bit of a hurry, as I had people coming to the house, so will look a bit further tonight. Now off to work to pay for all of this frivolity! :)

Rob99
24-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Save them to your harddrive first, then right click > rename.
Same process you would use to rename any other file.

Blam
24-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Try Freerip.

Should auto detect track names.

Rob99
24-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Try Freerip.

Should auto detect track names.

Not from a tape. I have CDs that those services do not work on.

R.M.
24-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Save them to your harddrive first, then right click > rename.
Same process you would use to rename any other file.

I have done that - and no, it doesn't! To explain again, I have saved the file on my HDD with the correct (new) name, but when it is burnt as a audio cd, the tracks show up as 'Track 1, Track 2 etc...Not the name I has assigned. :(

Rob99
24-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Not sure on that one, I always burn MP3 data CDs, you would need a compatable machine to play these in also.

Does a recient store bought CD have the titles you want?

Agent_24
24-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I have done that - and no, it doesn't! To explain again, I have saved the file on my HDD with the correct (new) name, but when it is burnt as a audio cd, the tracks show up as 'Track 1, Track 2 etc...Not the name I has assigned. :(

Am I correct in thinking that you saved the files with the correct names, burnt them to CD but when you play them back (after burning) it just says track 1 etc?

This is completely normal behaviour for a CD which is not recognised by the online database that your media player program uses.

In this case you are using old tapes which may have never been made into CDs. OR if they were, your copy will not have exactly the same track lengths as the retail copy. Therefore the online lookup can't find it.

Track information is usually NOT written to a CD. There is a thing called CD-Text but most players (software or stereo) can't read this so most people don't bother.

In any case, you should be able to manually add the track information to your player's database. And then it should come up each time you put the CD in.

Trev
24-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I have done this and have renamed them. Such a long time since I did it but I think I did them from inside Windows Media Player or Creative Media Player which came with my SB Audigy2 ZS Sound Card.
:)

kahawai chaser
24-06-2009, 12:10 PM
You might want to consider a mp3 tag editor, such as mp3 tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/), which helps allows online database look ups (e.g at freedb.org (http://www.freedb.org/)), and can use/swap file names to tag information. Also some MP3 players/software players, editors, and organizers, online directories, etc, use tags info to display/play titles...

You can also easily search names for albums, artists, track titles etc, by using FreeDBGrabber - useful if you have plenty of tracks, but don't know much of the info...

zqwerty
24-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I do this using WinAmp, open the mp3 you want to rename, then fnd it in the playlist, right click on it and left click 'info', fill in the appropriate band, title, year etc, there are two options to save them, I use both ID3v1 and ID3v2 I believe.

You can also do this using FooBar and many other applications.

I also rename the mp3's as has been said above for consistency's sake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

HTH.

Chilling_Silence
24-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Im with zqwerty, use WinAmp :)

Trev
24-06-2009, 01:07 PM
BM is saving them as wave files not mp3.
:)

R.M.
24-06-2009, 01:18 PM
All of that gives me a few ideas...

I DID say the music is old (Swedish Clap Dance, Irish Washerwoman and such like). It is a tape used/was used for Sit Dancing (as opposed to Lap Dancing!). Sit Dancing is exercise for people confined to wheelchairs - such as the really old and/or disabled people. And yes, there is no reason why I shouldn't use mp3 file format.

I have really doing this as an 'exercise' - so far, so good, the quality is fine, I have the process sorted, BUT need to sort out the titling - so here I am. I rely on you for my help.... :thanks

gary67
24-06-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't think you can do it for wav format as your store bought CD does not show names of songs if you explore it in your computer it only works for mp3 or similar

R.M.
24-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I converted to mp3 format and used Winamp. Mixed results, Winamp very iffy about burning and then of course, in other programmes for playing the music, the titles don't show... All a bit frustrating - but, I've learned quite a lot, especially about using Audacity. That was useful. :)