PDA

View Full Version : Laptop manufacturers....

Metla
23-06-2009, 02:22 PM
PUT THE DAMN NETWORK PORT AND THE POWER SUPPLY ON THE SAME DAMN SIDE YOU TWATS.

Greg
23-06-2009, 02:28 PM
LOL

I've just had to do some strategic thinking setting up my work desk because of this same issue. The cabling was a real pain, but I managed to do a work-around.

MAC_H8ER
23-06-2009, 02:30 PM
the man speaks the truth

it also helps to make ports that dont cave in when you plug something into them too (im staring at you Michael Dell)

Metla
23-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I use my laptop on my lap while sitting in the lounge, The power cord goes out the right, to the floor,around behind my chair to the outlet, the network cable exits on the left, under the chair to the router, Im trapped in the damn chair

Its pandemonium when the phone rings and I have to leap into action....

CYaBro
23-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Get a wireless router :D

Laptops are dangerous to use on your lap too as they have a tendency to spontaneously combust!

wratterus
23-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Hear hear. I like my tosh because of this - power, network and 2 USB ports right next to each other.

If you value your schlong, don't use a laptop on your lap for too long either.

Gobe1
23-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes all laptops should all come with a port replicator or docking station at no extra cost

Metla
23-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Get a wireless router :D

Laptops are dangerous to use on your lap too as they have a tendency to spontaneously combust!

Got a wireless router, Can't be arsed with the security issues so have its wireless capabilities disabled.

And as a matter of fact my laptop has been recalled due to dangerous lithium batteries, Though I haven't done anything about it.

More fool me for buying an HP.

No one should ever buy HP, they suck.

Metla
23-06-2009, 02:52 PM
If I ever get found burnt to a crisp you will all know what happened, the battery exploded and I was trapped by the cables.

Damn you Hewlett Packard, Damn you to hell.

:D

johcar
23-06-2009, 02:57 PM
I thought you were a sensible bloke and bought an ASUS, Metla???

My N50Vc has the power cable on the left and the network port right next to it (but I like the wireless)

nofam
23-06-2009, 03:13 PM
If you value your schlong, don't use a laptop on your lap for too long either.

Mint AS! :D

:lol:

Metla
23-06-2009, 03:15 PM
No, I insist on an Asus for everybody else, yet on the day I replaced mine I was impatient and bought a damn HP as it was within reach.Sure as hell regretted it ever since.

I have though acquired and set up various very fine Asus laptops for other people within the company, Just to rub salt into my wounds, I get a taste and then hand it over to its twat owner so they can visit NZ dating and collect viruses.

ZapperBoy10647
23-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Lol, metla knows all about nzdating aye..... sexyboynz3937 =P

Its not the hp's you have to worry about, its the dell's.... they have a self destruct feature =)

wratterus
23-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Even Vaio's? They have one of the highest failure rates of any laptop, higher than HP and Compaq.

ZapperBoy10647
23-06-2009, 03:21 PM
yeah i saw this, for lack of a better word, 'mint' picture-thanks for the word nofam; were the vaio's battery blew up or w/e and made a massive whole in the laptop lol.....

i thought vaios were wtf pwny tho.

wratterus
23-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Speak english! :o

ZapperBoy10647
23-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I oD eaSpk nElisgh

wratterus
23-06-2009, 03:41 PM

You're a mess.

And what's with editing a post once someone's replied to it? :rolleyes:

Metla
23-06-2009, 03:55 PM

You're a mess.

And what's with editing other peoples quotes? :rolleyes:

I agree:banana

Cicero
23-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Got a wireless router, Can't be arsed with the security issues so have its wireless capabilities disabled.

And as a matter of fact my laptop has been recalled due to dangerous lithium batteries, Though I haven't done anything about it.

More fool me for buying an HP.

No one should ever buy HP, they suck.
Is it so hard or tedious to set up(security)?
I havent done mine as yet,though I don't live in Wanga,so it not urgent.

CYaBro
23-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Nothing wrong with HP business notebooks.
We've sold heaps of them and never had a problem.
Where can I get an Asus notebook that has a docking station option???

Metla
23-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Its not so much that its tedious, Its just there are ways around everything, and broadcasting my network all around my neighbourhood is imo just risking temptation, hell, I play with every network I come across....

Cicero
23-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Without belabouring the question,how many in the average neighbourhood would have the nous to circumvent the routers security system?

Agent_24
23-06-2009, 04:13 PM
IBM. The only ones that have a proper pointy stick.

Greg
23-06-2009, 04:18 PM
how many in the average neighbourhood would have the nous to circumvent the routers security system?It only takes one.

ZapperBoy10647
23-06-2009, 04:26 PM

You're a mess.

And what's with editing a post once someone's replied to it? :rolleyes:

Realised how crap it sounded/i couldnt see you had replyed

Metla
23-06-2009, 04:32 PM

I have an issue with the fact the company would offer two product lines that are seemingly based on what they can get away with, ie-a craptastic line for the home user and a slightly not so craptatstic one for business use as the purchaser may have a clue as to what quality they should expect for their money. Though I suspect even their business line of laptops could do with a format and install before use.

what HP had done to my OS was far far worse then what MS managed with Vista, and has nothing to do with looking after customers or providing a good user experience.

beeswax34
23-06-2009, 06:44 PM
IBM. The only ones that have a proper pointy stick.

Yes!! Love the dot :)

Myth
23-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Its pandemonium when the phone rings and I have to leap into action....You, leap into action :lol:

There's a recall? I wonder if I can get my battery (that no longer works) replaced :D

Metla
23-06-2009, 07:54 PM
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=laptop+recall&btnG=Search&meta=

and

HP Laptop Battery Recall
Friday May 15, 2009
News - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in conjunction with Health Canada has issued a release concerning the recall of HP laptop batteries.

The recall affects approximately 70,000 batteries which may be found in the following models: HP Pavillion

* dv2000
* dv2500
* dv2700
* dv6000
* dv6500
* dv6700
* dv9000
* dv9500
* dv9700

Compaq Presario

* A900
* C700
* F700
* V3000
* V3500
* V3700
* V6000
* V6500
* V6700

HP

* G6000
* G7000

HP Compaq

* 6720s

To determine if your HP laptop battery is affected by the recall you can check the bar code label which may include any of the following:

* 62940**AXV****
* 65033**B7U****
* 65033**B7V****
* 65033**BGU****
* 65035**B7U****
* 65035**B7V****
* 65035**BGU****
* 65035**BGV****
* 67059**V8U****
* 67059**V8V****

If you have an HP laptop battery affected by the recall you should immediately remove the battery and contact HP to request a free replacement laptop battery. You can still use the AC adapter to provide power to your HP laptop until you receive the replacement laptop battery. To contact HP use the following link - HP Battery Replacement Program, call (800) 889-2031 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday.

CYaBro
23-06-2009, 09:25 PM
what HP had done to my OS was far far worse then what MS managed with Vista, and has nothing to do with looking after customers or providing a good user experience.

You should see this Toshiba lappy I just set up for a client.
So much crap loading on startup it's a wonder it even works.
Luckily it has Vista Business so wiped that and put on XP Pro :banana

PCT Joe
23-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I have not taken the time to verify this however here is a list of laptop and desktop failure rates.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/707813.html

Jen
23-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I have not taken the time to verify this however here is a list of laptop and desktop failure rates.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/707813.htmlThat list was posted over three years ago and the source of the stats was from 2005? Surely you noticed that?

Sweep
23-06-2009, 09:57 PM
That list was posted over three years ago and the source of the stats was from 2005? Surely you noticed that?

I noticed that PCT Joe is not a junior member but this person has the ability to change the wording.
Does the number of post count in this regard or have the rules changed?

Curious I thought.

PCT Joe
23-06-2009, 10:34 PM
That list was posted over three years ago and the source of the stats was from 2005? Surely you noticed that?

No I didnt.

sonar
25-06-2009, 11:34 AM

To be Honest thats not really our strong point. in the past there was the V1JP models that had that feature.

But in the next few months there will be a launch of a new business nb range, and some will have ability to connect to docking station.

Gobe1
25-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Dell Vostro just arrived today, power and network on the same side (at the back)
It will only ever sit on a desk probably tho

SolMiester
26-06-2009, 03:00 PM

+1 exactly.....setup the damn wirelesss!

SolMiester
26-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I have an issue with the fact the company would offer two product lines that are seemingly based on what they can get away with, ie-a craptastic line for the home user and a slightly not so craptatstic one for business use as the purchaser may have a clue as to what quality they should expect for their money. Though I suspect even their business line of laptops could do with a format and install before use.

I see, talking from experience there then?....another thing to realise is business laptops are setup correctly, no accounting for home users and cowboy technicians!

wratterus
26-06-2009, 03:11 PM
I'd quite happily own an HP business lappy, they are very good.

Metla
26-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I see, talking from experience there then?....another thing to realise is business laptops are setup correctly, no accounting for home users and cowboy technicians!

Yes, I talk from a vast experience, But not specific hence the use of the word suspect. Which you managed to highlight yet failed to comprehend the logic in its use.

The fact they don't kneecap the business orientated machines just demonstrates the disdain they view a large segment of their customer base.

If the HP business class machines suit your specific company needs then that's fine, You would be the one to know,Though its no reason to wear blinders.

Cicero
26-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Interesting to note that Apple note book as a 3.5 hr battery where as my tosh is only 2 hrs.

Wonder why?

plod
26-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Interesting to note that Apple note book as a 3.5 hr battery where as my tosh is only 2 hrs.

Wonder why?

without starting a trolling session. $$$$$$$$$$

Metla
26-06-2009, 08:28 PM

Wonder why?

Because they are designed to run 3.5 hours, You can get plenty of Laptops running Windows that are designed for long battery life, But like all things there are trade-offs.

Cicero
26-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Because they are designed to run 3.5 hours, You can get plenty of Laptops running Windows that are designed for long battery life, But like all things there are trade-offs.

so it's not just a question of just buying a better battery?

Blam
26-06-2009, 08:50 PM

Sorta. Some laptops offer bigger batteries, i.e 9 cell ones.

But if its running a light OS, with an ULV CPU it can last longer.

Metla
26-06-2009, 08:50 PM

Sometimes it is, Can't hurt to see if a battery is available for your laptop with a longer run time.

R2x1
26-06-2009, 08:52 PM
My Eee pc runs about 3 1/2 hours on batteries, but that is because it is a thrifty wee beast. If I turn on wireless and use the vodem etc, it gets nicely warm and snoozes off in under an hour.

plod
26-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Also depends on what cpu the laptop is running.

Cicero
27-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Thanks for info lads,not a simple question and answer it would seem!

Blam
27-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks for info lads,not a simple question and answer it would seem!

The type of storage device it uses also affects battery life. R2x1's eeepc probably uses a SSD, which uses less power than a conventional HD.

CPU is also important, most ultraportables come with Ultra Low Voltage processors, that use less power.

And, for longer battery life avoid having USB drives or unneeded periphrals plugged in as they eat battery life. Same with wireless

HTH:)
Blam

Greven
27-06-2009, 12:49 PM

The HP business laptops have surprisingly little crap on them. I think the last one I did only needed the AOL toolbar removed & the IE homepage set to something other than AOL.

AOL must have paid a lot of money to be the only crap on HP business notebooks.