PDA

View Full Version : Travelling on Qantas to overseas

Renmoo
23-06-2009, 01:14 PM
It's been a long time since I last flew to overseas. Can someone please refresh my memory on the following things?

1) Can I include creams into my hand luggage? For instance, steroid and urea creams?
2) For steroid creams, do I need to show a prescription of some sort? Can I bring along panadol tablets?
3) Check-in time: Is it still two hours prior to departure time? Do I need to pay the departure tax? I'm having a transit in Brisbane, do I need to pay the departure tax over there? Do I need an arrival card to enter Australia? And a departure card to leave Australia as well before arriving at the final destination?

That's all for now :p

Cheers :)

Sweep
23-06-2009, 02:32 PM
As I have no idea where you are going I would suggest you do not ask here.

Check with your travel agent and even they can get it wrong.

Greg
23-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Check-in is 2 hours prior to take-off, although you don't need to go through customs until about 30 minutes before.

Panadol will be fine. As for the other stuff no idea.

But the best advice I can give is... take a pen with you! Aussie requires several forms to be filled in both before and after landing.

Airport taxes dependend on the airline and departure point. When I travelled to Aus with Pacific Blue from Auckland recntly the fares included taxes. Speak to the airline, or as mentioned, your travel agent.

johcar
23-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Departure tax is included in the ticket price in NZ. Not sure what the go is for transit at those foreign airports (:D), but would presume that unless you actually go through immigration and then back out through emigration, there would be no departure tax, since you haven't really "arrived" in the country....

PaulD
23-06-2009, 03:06 PM
If you are only transiting in Aus you don't fill any forms, you just go from one plane through security into the international departure area.

Creams need to be in <100ml containers in your plastic bag as all liquids etc.

AFAIK departure tax is your problem, at Wellington you pay at the money exchange counter.

Cicero
23-06-2009, 04:04 PM
If you put all your stuff in cargo baggage,then you need not worry.

Nomad
23-06-2009, 06:24 PM
1. Yes, I carry steroid creams myself too, in the past I have also carried shampoo and liquid soap poured into small travel sized containers. I think if they are 100ml or 200ml for "EACH" you can.

2. No prescription required. I carried antihistamine pills, panadol type pills but stronger. I carried prescription nose spray for my hayfever and eyedrops.

3. Check your tickets. AFAIK the stated time is now 3hrs. You pay your departure tax at Auckland in the past but I just came back from Malaysia / Brunei last weekend, when I went there I didn't have to, again check your tickets / travel agent. Shouldn't need to pay taxes overseas because they should be all paid in your ticket - never had I had to do this in the past. Yes you do need a arrival card and a departure card in Australia even for changing flights but it really depend on airports. For instance for some countries the arrival card would have an option for your purpose of stay and one may say "transit only". Yes, of course you need to fill in a arrival form at your final destination.

In addition for all your stops incl the transit places (AU), you need to do a health screening form as part of the swine flu.

Nomad
23-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Check-in is 2 hours prior to take-off, although you don't need to go through customs until about 30 minutes before.

Panadol will be fine. As for the other stuff no idea.

But the best advice I can give is... take a pen with you! Aussie requires several forms to be filled in both before and after landing.

Airport taxes dependend on the airline and departure point. When I travelled to Aus with Pacific Blue from Auckland recntly the fares included taxes. Speak to the airline, or as mentioned, your travel agent.

Not sure about 30min prior. Maybe 1hr. 30min prior people may be already boarding.

Renmoo
23-06-2009, 06:54 PM
1. Yes, I carry steroid creams myself too, in the past I have also carried shampoo and liquid soap poured into small travel sized containers. I think if they are 100ml or 200ml for "EACH" you can.

2. No prescription required. I carried antihistamine pills, panadol type pills but stronger. I carried prescription nose spray for my hayfever and eyedrops.

3. Check your tickets. AFAIK the stated time is now 3hrs. You pay your departure tax at Auckland in the past but I just came back from Malaysia / Brunei last weekend, when I went there I didn't have to, again check your tickets / travel agent. Shouldn't need to pay taxes overseas because they should be all paid in your ticket - never had I had to do this in the past. Yes you do need a arrival card and a departure card in Australia even for changing flights but it really depend on airports. For instance for some countries the arrival card would have an option for your purpose of stay and one may say "transit only". Yes, of course you need to fill in a arrival form at your final destination.

In addition for all your stops incl the transit places (AU), you need to do a health screening form as part of the swine flu.
A very helpful reply. I will check up on the details when I get to the airport.

Cheers :)

PaulD
23-06-2009, 07:02 PM

3. Yes you do need a arrival card and a departure card in Australia even for changing flights but it really depend on airports. For instance for some countries the arrival card would have an option for your purpose of stay and one may say "transit only". Yes, of course you need to fill in a arrival form at your final destination.

It's </=100ml or 100gms.

I came through Sydney both ways last month no Australian forms or cards just thermal cameras in terminals. Transiting doesn't take you through Immigration.

lakewoodlady
24-06-2009, 03:20 AM
ALL creams, liquids and gels, toothpaste etc, must be of 100 mls in quantity or less for each item. They must be in a clear plastic re-sealable bag. If you are traveling to the US, it pays to wear shoes that are slip on type or easy to get on and off. You will have to have them x-rayed separately. Yes a pen is always very handy to have for all the forms.

Cheers LL

convair
24-06-2009, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't even travel with Qantas after all these accidents with their aircraft.

KenESmith
25-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Thank you for flying QANTAS.

It is nice to meet a discerning traveller who doesn't mind paying top dollars for at best average service,

As far as safety is concerned QANTAS still has the Best safety record of any international airline - they still have not as yet lost a passenger in any aircraft incident or accident. The management are working on this by having their servicing done by the cheapest Asian bidder. Big bucks saved by bodging repairs eg cabin emergency lighting wiring harness stapled back together.

One bit of advice don't waste your time joining the QANTAS Frequent Flyer programme - they make it bloody near impossible to redeem points on the classic scheme - so in future go for the cheapest fare - the best Airline loyalty programme is loyalty to you own wallet.

porkster
25-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Thank you for flying QANTAS.

It is nice to meet a discerning traveller who doesn't mind paying top dollars for at best average service,

As far as safety is concerned QANTAS still has the Best safety record of any international airline - they still have not as yet lost a passenger in any aircraft incident or accident. The management are working on this by having their servicing done by the cheapest Asian bidder. Big bucks saved by bodging repairs eg cabin emergency lighting wiring harness stapled back together.

One bit of advice don't waste your time joining the QANTAS Frequent Flyer programme - they make it bloody near impossible to redeem points on the classic scheme - so in future go for the cheapest fare - the best Airline loyalty programme is loyalty to you own wallet.

Your right about the Frequent Flyer programs, I've flew from NZ to AU on their program and it cost me about the same as their cheap airfare. The stack all sorts of BS on the "free" flights so you end up paying anyway.

Your wrong about Qantas never losing a passenger in a aircraft incident. More correctly Qantas have never had a fatal Jet aircraft crash (yet).