PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a HDD

kjaada
23-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Have 3 HDD's in my tower:C/windows bootable.D/Ubuntu bootable and E/unused not bootable.I have another puter that has packed up and it has WXP bootable.I want to replace the E drive as above with the XP drive and have all 3 bootable ??.I have super grub and ultimate boot disc but have never had to use them.My question is "will SG or UBD do the trick and how do I go about it"?

Blam
23-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Is it 3 hard drives or 3 partitions?

If its 3 seperate hard drives, then you won't have to worry about the bootloader. It should appear automatically when you plug it in.

kjaada
23-06-2009, 01:59 PM
3 hard drives:
Thanks 4 that.

Jen
23-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Your XP drive from the other computer will probably not be be able to load XP on a different computer. The hardware difference would throw the OS into a tizzy.

Are you using Ubuntu's Grub boot manager? I would have thought you need to re-run the Grub installer if you wish to have the new XP listed on the boot menu (or manually edit grub.conf with the new entry).

Blam
23-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Your XP drive from the other computer will probably not be be able to load XP on a different computer. The hardware difference would throw the OS into a tizzy.

Are you using Ubuntu's Grub boot manager? I would have thought you need to re-run the Grub installer if you wish to have the new XP listed on the boot menu (or manually edit grub.conf with the new entry).

A repair install should fix it. With Vista its usually 50/50. Xp, not so sure, although if you uninstall the chipset drivers it *might* work.

Doesn't hurt to try:)

Make an image of it first, just in case;)

As for your second point, you're probably right on that, if Kjaada is using the GRUB bootloader. Edit the menu.lst file AFAIK.

If its the windows one, plug it the hard drive, and the entry should pop up on the bootloader menu.

Blam

autechre
24-06-2009, 08:55 AM

It depends. XP can be quite resilient compared to previous OSes. I've gone from AMD to Intel with the same XP install & it booted fine, found the new drivers & worked solidly for a month or so until I reinstalled.

It does pay to uninstall as many devices as you can before swapping the drive over & of course have all the new drivers ready to install :)