PDA

View Full Version : dial-up box won't go away

mark c
23-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi,
Some friends recently went from actrix dial-up to Xtra BB. Neighbour installed the new modem for them and all up and running except the dial up box keeps popping up when they go into Outlook Express. He said "well just click cancel, not a problem." And OK it's not but is an annoyance. I can't get rid of it. In Network Places and Internet Options only the ethernet BB shows up. The actrix does show up in OE under Send/Receive (can't be removed) and was somewhere else I can't recall but I removed it. Now when the computer boots it detects the old modem and wants to install it. So what do we do? Take out the old modem altogether? Is this standard? Never had any experience of this but haven't heard that you have to actually take out the old modem.
Any help much appreciatted. Mark

It's got XP SP 3. Don't suppose it's a malware issue. They run CCleaner allthe time and have windows Firewall and Nod 32.

Safari
23-06-2009, 11:14 AM
To prevent OE bringing up the dialup connection go to Tools/Accounts/Properties
Select the Connection Tab
Take the tick out of the box "Always connect to this account using"

mark c
23-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks very much Safari, I'll send them your answer and they can do it. Will post back as to what happens.
Cheers
M

feersumendjinn
24-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Or go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections (tab) and select Never Dial A Connection, then click Apply then OK.

The modem driver must have been removed if it keeps detecting/trying to install, and may continue after the above changes, you may need to install the driver or remove the modem. You probably couldn't disable it in Device Manager either until it is installed.

mark c
24-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for that feersum, I thought I might have to re-install the old modem and then disable it since it keeps coming up. But will have to wait and see. They're not big time users so probably haven't even got the email with Safari's advice.
Cheers M

mark c
26-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks very much all fixed. Removed the tick box and also the accounts/Mail box entry for dial up and all good. Modem doesn't come up either so all good. Don't know why but hey that's IT.
Cheers M