PDA

View Full Version : Problems converting recorded Freeview HD videos

davidmmac
22-06-2009, 06:57 PM
I've recorded a few shows off Freeview HD using Cyberlink Power Cinema 5 (rubbish I know, but it's the only program I can get to somewhat work) and I now want to convert them into a smaller format, however, whenever I try this the outputted videos stutter, and are pixilated in areas (think of an older video on you tube that pauses to buffer every 1/3 of a secound).

I've been using SUPER (the latest version), and have tried a host of different output options (mpg, mkv, divx, xvid, wmv,...).

Any ideas?

Blam
22-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Try Handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr/

davidmmac
22-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks blam, I gave it a go but no luck :(.

I also tried the trial converter that comes with divx when you download it, this produced great quality video, but no sound :(.

CYaBro
22-06-2009, 09:04 PM
What are the specs of the machine you are trying to do this on?
Also, the audio that is used on Freeview|HD here in NZ is quite different to the rest of the world except Norway (I think) so you need to check that you have the correct audio codec installed.

Chilling_Silence
22-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Is it OK on playback? Any of these should work for re-encoding the video:
WinAVI Video Converter
VideoLAN Client
Nero Recode
Handbrake
ffmpeg
mencoder (Part of mplayer)
VirtualDub + a Codec pack such as K-Lite Codec Pack will let you encode to almost anything also

Try the VLC route and see how you go?

Cheers

Chill.

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Spec's of the computer are: 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon 64 bit, 1 GB RAM, Asus 7600GS (256MB), Asus M2N-MX, 80GB HDD, Windows XP.

The original video runs fine on playback (in power cinema runs fine with sound, on WMP it runs just no sound, on VLC it doesn't work at all, and finally on smplayer it runs at sort of like half normal speed), just not the converted one.

somebody
23-06-2009, 07:35 AM
I found you need very specific versions of Handbrake - see if you can download a copy of the svn1913 2008112300 build - I've been using that successfully to convert FreeviewHD recordings.

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 04:30 PM
I found you need very specific versions of Handbrake - see if you can download a copy of the svn1913 2008112300 build - I've been using that successfully to convert FreeviewHD recordings.

Thanks, but I just checked which version I had, and it seems I've already got it:

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Just gave Nero Recode a go, but it didn't want to import my files :(.

somebody
23-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Can you chuck a small recorded clip (i.e. no more than a few seconds) up somewhere so we can have a go at converting it?

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Here you go. (http://www.mediafire.com/?0izmla0u3id)

Thanks for the help also :thanks.

somebody
23-06-2009, 05:35 PM
In Power Cinema is there a way to tell it to record as a .ts file?

I had a go at converting it, and it seemed to have converted ok, but the audio is a bit mucked up (something I've found myself with very short clips).

Can you upload a slightly longer one maybe - closer to 30 seconds, if the file isn't too big?

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 05:52 PM
In Power Cinema is there a way to tell it to record as a .ts file?

I had a go at converting it, and it seemed to have converted ok, but the audio is a bit mucked up (something I've found myself with very short clips).

Can you upload a slightly longer one maybe - closer to 30 seconds, if the file isn't too big?

I emailed Cyberlink a while back asking if I could record in another format - this was there response:

In response to your concern, we regret to inform you that PowerCinema software records the TV programs in MPEG 2 format only and the software does not have any option to change the TV recording format.

This is a limitation of the software.

I've uploaded another file here. (http://www.mediafire.com/?5mlmg4hwmyl)

Thanks again somebody :thanks

somebody
23-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Hmm... not having any luck sorry.

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Hmm... not having any luck sorry.

Thanks for trying anyway :thanks

Blam
23-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Try lowering the bitrate.

somebody
23-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Try lowering the bitrate.

Are you directing that at me, or davidmmac?

Blam
23-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Are you directing that at me, or davidmmac?

Either. I'm at a friends place, and don't wanna use much bandwidth so I can't try myself sorry:(

somebody
23-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Either. I'm at a friends place, and don't wanna use much bandwidth so I can't try myself sorry:(

I'll give it another go, and see what happens.

Edit: Just tried it, and it doesn't seem to be making a difference using davidmmac's files - the audio is in sync for the first second or so, then it seems to be all bunched up and then goes silent for the remainder of the clip.

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Well I just downloaded the 30 second file
Playback in VLC = Non-existant
Playback in MPC-HC = Jittery / skippy as heck (think its the k-lite codec pack i have installed)
Plackback in Showtime = fine (no audio?)
Playback in Quicktime = non-existant

File fails to encode in Recode / VLC / x264 / ffmpeg :(

Does the app you used to record it not have any other export / saving-as options?

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Well I just downloaded the 30 second file
Playback in VLC = Non-existant
Playback in MPC-HC = Jittery / skippy as heck (think its the k-lite codec pack i have installed)
Plackback in Showtime = fine (no audio?)
Playback in Quicktime = non-existant

File fails to encode in Recode / VLC / x264 / ffmpeg :(

Does the app you used to record it not have any other export / saving-as options?

Nope, unfortunately not :(

I should also make a note that when I play these in Power Cinema, they play absolutely fine, no jittering, and there is sound.

Thanks for trying anyway though :thanks

davidmmac
23-06-2009, 09:18 PM
According to SUPER's "Multimedia analysis box", the format is AVC.

When I try to play in super, the video is going half the speed of the sound :stare:.

zqwerty
24-06-2009, 12:23 AM
Why not try this, XMedia Recode 2.1.2.9, if you get the German version just change it to the English version in the options, I have done that and used this program for those difficult conversions that all the other converters are not successful with:

http://tinyurl.com/men98e

davidmmac
25-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Why not try this, XMedia Recode 2.1.2.9, if you get the German version just change it to the English version in the options, I have done that and used this program for those difficult conversions that all the other converters are not successful with:

http://tinyurl.com/men98e

I gave it a shot, but it would only play the video, no sound :(.

I think I'll just give up on this one, and I'll give media portal another shot (see if it'll work this time :rolleyes:).

Thanks to everyone who's posted an idea, and thanks to those who downloaded the sample clips to try and convert, your help was greatly appreciated :thanks.