PDA

View Full Version : iPhone + XT Network?

Jared White5
22-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Well im thinking of buying a new cellphone as i'm in need for one, so i browsed the Telecom site as im going with a telecom phone, as most of the people i do text are on telecom, not that it matters with XT but meh. So i came across a phone i would like. It's the Samsung F480, it's about $630 so not too much but then a friend suggested to me; "Get an iPhone on the XT network" but as im not to phone savy i'm not too sure if this is possible? Do i just buy an iPhone and get a XT Sim card or what? is it possible?

Or am i just better off with sticking to the Samsung F480?

All input is gladly appreciated

maccrazy
22-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Do i just buy an iPhone and get a XT Sim card or what? is it possible?Yes, that is correct. Disclaimer: I have not done it myself, but know a number of people who have confirmed that it is possible.

Jared White5
22-06-2009, 05:38 PM
So if i was to go down to a vodafone store, i would be able just to buy the iPhone with no Plan? because i don't exactly want to be stuck on a vodafone plan :P

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2009, 05:50 PM
You could try, but I doubt it

davidmmac
22-06-2009, 05:53 PM
So if i was to go down to a vodafone store, i would be able just to buy the iPhone with no Plan? because i don't exactly want to be stuck on a vodafone plan :P

Yeah, you can buy an iphone with no plan, but it's about $1000 though :eek:.

Edit: Sorry, it's only $979.

Source (http://www.vodafone.co.nz/iphone/8gb-black.jsp)

johcar
22-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Yes you will be able to buy an iPhone with no plan from Vodafone, but don't expect it to be cheap...

I understand that Telecom are launching their 'proper' range of smartphones in September/October (which will probably include the iPhone), so if you're not in a rush....

pctek
22-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Samsung F480, it's about $630 so not too much

Some people have a weird idea of "not much". For a phone. Geez.

johcar
22-06-2009, 06:01 PM
It's a bit more than just a 'phone', pctek... Nice to know someone's willing to do his bit to help stimulate the economy! :D

Jared White5
22-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Hmm, $979 its a bit much :P

I wonder if they would do Hire Purchase because from what i can see from the vodafone plan's is rather expensive compared to the $18 telecom plan.

Vodafone plan is $130 for 250 Calling minutes, 600 texts and 500MB of data allowance,

where as the Telecom plan is $18 for 1500 Texts, 3x My favourites (unlimited calling to 3 people) and 240MB of data allowance, so in my opinion the Telecom plan is a lot better bang for buck and since i wouldn't really be doing a lot of MMS i think that plan would be for me.

Would anyone know what the rate for HP would be on the off chance for a 16GB? :lol:

johcar
22-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I think you would find that HP is the same as signing up to one of Vodafone's plans. They probably won't finance it otherwise. Best bet is to either pay cash, get a loan from mum or dad, use a Credit Card (ouch!) or see a Finance company (again, ouch!).

Jared White5
22-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Hmm, somehow i think you're right, anyway ill go down tomorrow and see what is able to be done, don't really want to get a loan from a finance company or use a credit card, and dont really want to ask for money so may just save up for another 2 weeks then ill have enough by then

davidmmac
22-06-2009, 06:47 PM
so may just save up for another 2 weeks then ill have enough by then
My advise would be to do that :thumbs:.

Deane F
22-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Would anyone know what the rate for HP would be on the off chance for a 16GB? :lol:

I talked to a saleman in a Vodafone shop recently as I am looking at buying an iPhone as well.

He told me that Apple's contract with Vodafone specifically disallows them from selling iPhones on hire purchase. He also said not all Vodafone stores are allowed to carry the iPhone.

maccrazy
22-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Hmm, somehow i think you're right, anyway ill go down tomorrow and see what is able to be done, don't really want to get a loan from a finance company or use a credit card, and dont really want to ask for money so may just save up for another 2 weeks then ill have enough by then

If you can wait two weeks, wait a few more and get the new iPhone 3GS when it is launched here: 3.2MP camera with auto focus vs 2MP camera with fixed focus, faster processor, digital compass, voice control etc.

You can buy iPhones outright at Vodafone, First Mobile, Digital Mobile, MagnumMac etc.