PDA

View Full Version : TV as second monitor

Driftwood
22-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Wanting to connect a tv as a second monitor from my ATI HD4870.
Using the S-Video/TV out port. Have tryed both S-Video & RCA inputs on the tv.
The catalyst control centre will allow all maner of adjustment but only image showing is the desktop wallpaper.

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Did you drag the 2nd monitor under display properties to main above it in CCC? And changed the video on the TV to whatever socket you plugged the cable into

Driftwood
22-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Ah that makes a difference.
How can I set a different resolution for the telly.
The one I am trying it on is smaller than the monitor & it changes the resolution.
When I get this sorted I will be using a bigger tv than the monitor so will need to be able to do that.

hueybot3000
22-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Under diplay its got the options there for the second screen like it would the first

Driftwood
22-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes I see that.
I think the problem is, I am cloning my desktop to the tv & the monitor is changing to the same resolution as the tv.

Blam
22-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Yes I see that.
I think the problem is, I am cloning my desktop to the tv & the monitor is changing to the same resolution as the tv.

Yes, that is the exact problem.

What you can try, is output to the TV ONLY.

Then you will be able to adjust to whatever suits

Blam

Driftwood
22-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes that would work.
I've been experimenting with extending the desktop to the tv, that way they can be at different resolutions. If I open a video in Media Player Classic I can then drag it to the tv. If I then maximize it, it runs quite well at the tv's default resolution.
All I need now is the 12M of cable to connect it up to the big telly in the lounge.
Might have to look at a wireless mouse too.

Tuneznz
23-06-2009, 10:43 AM
You might want to be careful on how long of vga or dvi cable you use as you can start to get deterioration.

http://www.scala.com/support/technical-faqs/hardware-faq-hardware-stability-guide/dvi-vga-cable.html

Driftwood
23-06-2009, 11:32 AM
You might want to be careful on how long of vga or dvi cable you use as you can start to get deterioration.

http://www.scala.com/support/technical-faqs/hardware-faq-hardware-stability-guide/dvi-vga-cable.html

I am aware of that but opinion on that seems to vary, depending who you ask.
I have got the cable on the way, so will try it & report my findings back if you are interested.
My next problem is not being able to physicaly see the 2nd screen (tv) from the PC.

Tuneznz
24-06-2009, 07:34 AM
You could mirror it. Where what is on one screen is the same on the other.

Driftwood
24-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Yeh, post 5 & 6 sort of cover that.
I havent hooked up to it yet though.
Still waiting for my cable.
I'm hoping the resolution might be close enough to my monitor to do the clone thing.
I don't think I have a mirror option.

Driftwood
25-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Just to update this if anyone is interested.
Got the cables today & hooked up.
29" tv comes in at 1024x768 so I just cloned the 2 displays.
It just means the pc monitor rus a bit large while they are linked.
I played a couple of movies through it & both video & sound come through great.