PDA

View Full Version : MS office 07 cannot find document

Chris987
22-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi guys, I have a problem with Microsoft office 2007 particularly Word. I am running vista home premium, 2GB ram, 1.8GHZ and have the Student and teacher version of office with publisher 07 installed as well.

When I doubleclick an icon to open a document word brings up a message saying it cannot open the document as it cannot find it - check spelling etc. Windows can find it fine as I double click it to open it. The same thing happens with all the documents on my PC that I try to open with Word. If I open the same file with another program it works fine. If I open the file on another PC with office 07 it works fine. I have tried uninstalling the entire office suit, removing all traces I can find, and then re-installing it but the same error comes up. I am stuck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Blam
22-06-2009, 08:58 PM
What happens when you open a document from word?

BTW Welcome to PF1:)

Blam

gary67
22-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Or what happens if you right click the document and then choose open with. Next browse to Word 07 and then tick the box to say always open this type of file with this program

Saucy
22-06-2009, 11:01 PM
When I doubleclick an icon to open a document word brings up a message saying it cannot open the document as it cannot find it - check spelling etc.

I think I've seen what you're talking about. Word 2007 has a "file not found" error if you double click on a Word document before opening Word?

First thing to try is Office Diagnostics, that might fix your problem. Then try the suggestions above because they have less risk of making a mistake. But if not, here's the fix that worked for me.

Use regedit to go here in the registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\

In the Word folder, you should see an item called Data. Right click on Data, and delete it.

Open Word, and it will re-generate the Data keys automatically. Quit Word again, and see if this solves the problem you're having.

Here's where I found out about this fix:
http://help.wugnet.com/office/File-Found-Error-opening-files-Word-2007-ftopict1073803.html

Chris987
24-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys you are a big help. However I tried deleting the registry and it didn't work. On the plus side, I have found that if I go into Word 1st and then open the file from the open menu it will work fine. It only plays up if I double click a file.

Thanks again for your help

Chris987
24-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Oh, and diagnostics turned up one error which it repaired but didn't fix this particular problem

Chris987
24-06-2009, 06:19 PM
This just in - I managed to disable an add-in which had been playing up and now word works fine again. THanks so much for your help guys. God Bless

Jen
24-06-2009, 07:05 PM
This just in - I managed to disable an add-in which had been playing up and now word works fine again. THanks so much for your help guys. God BlessWas that the blue-tooth add-in you disabled?