PDA

View Full Version : Another Tele-con?

nofam
22-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Here we go again. . . . (http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/telecoms-it-media/2521473/Speedy-internet-at-a-cost):groan:

paulw
22-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Not much point in super fast BB if the international bandwidth is so poor.

CYaBro
22-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Not much point in super fast BB if the international bandwidth is so poor.

Great for local VPNs etc though.
And an extra $20 is not a lot for more speed. Lots of other providors charge more for faster speeds via sat, wireless etc.

Rob99
22-06-2009, 01:56 PM
.. Lots of other providors charge more for faster speeds via sat, wireless etc.But most charge more for less speed and lower cap!

robbyp
22-06-2009, 04:27 PM
But most charge more for less speed and lower cap!

Yes, Orcon for instance have recently doubled the rate they charge for additional bandwidth. I thought these ISPs arguements for unbundling, was that it was supposed to deliver cheaper broadband.

george12
22-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Seems fair enough to me. If you don't want 50Mbps internet, don't pay the extra $20!

All the other ISPs seem to me to be getting rather greedy in expecting the Commerce Commission to make their lives easier every time Telecom makes a new business move.

They've done the big one, forcing unbundling of exchanges and regulating the pricing of it. There has got to be some room for them to make their own decisions with their own investment and pricing of the resulting product.

If I'm not mistaken, Telecom is primarily owned by NZ shareholders, whereas TelstraClear is primarily Australian-owned and Vodafone is UK-owned. Orcon is of course owned by our very own government. It seems the mum-and-dad shareholders are the ones losing when regulatory rules reduce Telecom's profits.

ISPs can now make their own VDSL networks if they like so maybe resale agreements don't need to be heavily regulated.

ZapperBoy10647
22-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Were on Orcon atm and the exchange is 50 metres down the road, is it possible for our cafe to get 50mbps through orcon?!? anyone know!?!

mikebartnz
23-06-2009, 12:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Telecom is primarily owned by NZ shareholders,
Wrong.
If Telecom hadn't been so protective of their monopoly to the detriment of Kiwi's and themselves they might be better off.

george12
23-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Wrong.
If Telecom hadn't been so protective of their monopoly to the detriment of Kiwi's and themselves they might be better off.

Oh I know that was bad. I'm not arguing that it was necessarily wrong to force ULL, but since doing that the Commerce Commission seems to want to regulate everything - or at least ISPs are begging them to every 5 minutes.

A great example is TelstraClear - they spent a billion dollars or so on their cable network (so I have been told) and have not yet made a big return on that investment (also from memory).

If they were forced to allow competitors to use their network they would be stuffed.

Admittedly Telecom is a very different situation but my point remains - it would be easy to over-regulate Telecom and unfairly hurt its shareholders.

Out of curiosity what % of their shareholding is NZ?

paulw
23-06-2009, 01:45 PM
A great example is TelstraClear - they spent a billion dollars or so on their cable network (so I have been told) and have not yet made a big return on that investment (also from memory).

If they were forced to allow competitors to use their network they would be stuffed.

Didn't TelstraClear inherit this network from Saturn when they bought it. TC from what I see has not spent much in NZ on infrastructure.. Remember their mobile network??

mikebartnz
23-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Out of curiosity what % of their shareholding is NZ?
TELECOM CORPORATION OF NEW ZEALAND LIMITED
Shares 1,862,095,832
Of those 1,372,720,361 are owned by overseas companies, mainly Australian and there could be a few kiwis investing in them.
That leaves 489,375,471 shares for which I can't ascertain ownership.
Which ever way you look at it Kiwi's own stuff all of Telecom.

PaulD
23-06-2009, 09:19 PM
TELECOM CORPORATION OF NEW ZEALAND LIMITED
Shares 1,862,095,832
Of those 1,372,720,361 are owned by overseas companies, mainly Australian and there could be a few kiwis investing in them.
That leaves 489,375,471 shares for which I can't ascertain ownership.
Which ever way you look at it Kiwi's own stuff all of Telecom.

How many of these Australian companies are like AMP - running managed funds and super schemes? How many Kiwis have money with like funds? The ownership may be one step removed but you can't say Kiwis have few shares in Telecom.

mikebartnz
23-06-2009, 10:14 PM
How many of these Australian companies are like AMP - running managed funds and super schemes? How many Kiwis have money with like funds? The ownership may be one step removed but you can't say Kiwis have few shares in Telecom.
And I'm not going to knock my head against a brick wall.