PDA

View Full Version : removable car window tint?

lance4k
21-06-2009, 06:09 PM
that window tint film you buy from a car part shop, is it removable and how does it stick to the window?

ooh yeh
21-06-2009, 06:49 PM
It has a sticky surface and is positioned using soapy water

SurferJoe46
22-06-2009, 02:45 AM
Removable? Yes with a lot of effort, but it can be removed.

The "glue" on it is activated by the sunshine (mostly) and just keeps the air out from underneath it, making it much more impossible to remove.

Do NOT use products with ammonia in them (spray window cleaners) to locate the film, as they render the glue ineffective and turn it into a jelly. Liquid dish soap is about the best to use. And add some "No-Tears" baby shampoo for extra slipperiness.

NOTE: avoid using degreasing detergents to make the solution or the film may dry cloudy or fail to adhere.

Make sure that the glass is squeaky clean and cool - don't do this in the sun or on a frozen surface or if the air outside is cold enough to freeze water.

Been there - etc.

YouTube Instructional video (http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-install-window-tint-102479/)

Written instructions are available via "Googling" for them.

lance4k
22-06-2009, 02:01 PM
thanks guys. i was looking at tint film at the shop and it said it's 5%. on the ltsa website it says a minimum of 35% VLT is legal. So how do i know what the VLT of the film is and how many meters to cover all windows?

tweak'e
22-06-2009, 04:00 PM
why not just call into one of the tinting shops. much better range of tints, professional fitting and they know the rules.

gradebdan
22-06-2009, 04:08 PM
My son's car failed it's wof. One problem was the tint on the rear side windows was too dark. We used a glass scraper to lift an edge and slowly pulled it all off. Some parts needed an extra scrape. Then cleaned the old adhesive with turps. My friendly garage had a sample of the 35% tint.

Phil B
22-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Heat it with a hair dryer when removing. Much easier