PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones

Nomad
21-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi, just wondering how feasible is it to say for travel,, ie., scan some travel guide pages into PDF (or other format) and read it on the phone while on travel so it saves me taking all the photocopied pages with me, it would only be 20 or so pages ..... Secondly, are there any that have Wifi and an ability to add GPS functionality?

Thanks.

beeswax34
21-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Sure, I do it on my HTC Touch Diamond all the time. Put pdf documents on it and read it on the bus or wherever. It comes with Wi-Fi and GPS functionality. Might be a bit expensive for what you want to do though unless you actually want a smartphone.

Nomad
21-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I had my Nokia 6230 since 2004 I think bought 2nd hand.

What are your thoughts on a 2nd hand either a cellphone like a Nokia that supports wifi and Skype software or a Blackberry. I have not kept up with it, are these two things close enof to be called about even now? Thanks. What appeals to me with the Blackberry is the full key keypad. One of the things I would like to do on travel is to write my travel journal and then print it out and stick it in my real diary. Hence the full keypad.

robbyp
21-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi, just wondering how feasible is it to say for travel,, ie., scan some travel guide pages into PDF (or other format) and read it on the phone while on travel so it saves me taking all the photocopied pages with me, it would only be 20 or so pages ..... Secondly, are there any that have Wifi and an ability to add GPS functionality?

Thanks.

Have you looked at the ipod touch? It is basically a smartphone without the phone, although you can still use skype over wifi. You can view PDFs, and it also has google maps and eart, with street view. ALso a very big touch screen, to view the pdf. A lot cheaper than an iphone too.

Chilling_Silence
22-06-2009, 12:25 AM
I was just about to suggest what robbyp has, the iTouch is *nice*! Basic ones start from $360 so heaps cheaper than forking out for a full-blown phone, but oh so useful!

Then again, my iPhone makes me biased ;)

Nomad
22-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey, what about an E series Nokia? I quite like the full key keypad for typing in my travel diary of stuff ..... can a SD GPS card be added?

beeswax34
22-06-2009, 06:51 PM
They're pretty good too and the E71 and E72 come with inbuilt GPS.

Nomad
22-06-2009, 10:18 PM
As I understand those are "Assisted GPS" that requires a cellular reception to operate and a fee. Is it possible to go for a cheaper E6x model and add in a SD Card that is Satellite based GPS?

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2009, 01:03 AM
Its quite possibly possible, but you may have to pay for the software then also, as well as for a map of NZ...

Still reckon at that kinda price you're better off with an iTouch for your PDF's and potentially even a regular GPS device would be cheaper than an E6X let alone by the time you add on the GPS SD Card + Software + Maps

robbyp
23-06-2009, 02:27 PM
As I understand those are "Assisted GPS" that requires a cellular reception to operate and a fee. Is it possible to go for a cheaper E6x model and add in a SD Card that is Satellite based GPS?

The GPS on my nokia is pretty poor compared to my TomTom GPS unit, it is just clunky and the software isn't good. The iphone GPS functionality is pretty cool, and TomTom are releasing an add on for the iphone. Even the ipod touch has google maps and street view, which can use location services to find your location, as long as you are in a WiMax area

Chilling_Silence
23-06-2009, 04:03 PM
+1 for the iPhone mapping ;)

Not to mention there's tons of apps etc that you can use for free that do things such as "Whats near me" to find the nearest Cafe / Starbucks / Nandos while overseas. Same for the ton of travelling applications that you can get on the App Store. Hands down the best device if you're going to be travelling! Even the US Army uses them now!