PDA

View Full Version : linux enviroment question

caviliar
20-06-2009, 08:43 PM
just installed linux and was wondering if i can install an environment (specifically Xfce) from a cd as i currently don't have internet connected so can't do it through pacman.

any help appreciated.

ad_267
20-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm guessing this is Arch Linux then?

It looks like you can get all the packages you need using this method: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Offline_installation_of_packages

The Arch Linux forums might be a better place to ask this question.

If you're new to Linux then Arch Linux probably isn't the best distribution to use though. It would be easier to get started with something like Ubuntu or Xubuntu for XFCE. Debian with XFCE would be lighter than Xubuntu.

caviliar
20-06-2009, 09:45 PM
im not new to linux, just have never installed it myself ay. i've followed the steps in that link you posted. have downloaded the files onto my laptop. i just dont understand how i go about transferring these files to my desktop that has just had arch linux installed

ad_267
20-06-2009, 11:20 PM
If you've followed the first part of that page to make sure your package database is up to date, you should be able to put the packages onto a CD or usb drive then copy them all into /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. You can then install them by running "pacman -Sy", then "pacman -S xfce_packages", where xfce_packages are the packages you need to install.

And make sure you've got all the dependencies too, using that "pacman -Sp ..." command to get a list of all the packages you need.

caviliar
21-06-2009, 01:23 AM
sorry i just dont get how to copy from the cd to /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. how do i find my cd directory and whats on the cd lol.

nixon
21-06-2009, 01:50 AM
If you have the package locally (i.e., on a mounted CD), then just do:

pacman -U /path/to/package.pkg.tar.gz.

Pacman will put everything in it's correct place for you. Do not manually put files here and there.

ad_267
21-06-2009, 10:49 AM
You have to mount your CD drive to access it. You should be able to do something like:
mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
or
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

Then you can access the cd drive from /media/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom