PDA

View Full Version : Good science fiction/post-apocalyptic shows

qazwsxokmijn
20-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Why do they all get canceled these days???

Invasion - canceled.
Jericho - canceled.
Surface - canceled.
And now Primeval - canceled.

Thank god Lost is still well and alive. Is there not enough intelligent people out there capable of understanding these shows? Are we really outnumbered by the people who watch POS 'drama' and reality shows that producers puke out???

It annoys me to no end! Every time I get hooked to a show I'm always skeptical - will this be another axed show by the end of first the season?

GOD!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

the_bogan
20-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Hasn't Lost only got one show to go? Or is that just the end of another season?

qazwsxokmijn
20-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Only one more season to go for Lost. :(

It's Primeval's cancellation that's really got me fuming right now.

the_bogan
20-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Please don't watch Doctor Who.

gary67
20-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Because they are boring

SolMiester
20-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Farscape

pctek
20-06-2009, 08:01 PM
90% of SF on screen is crap anyway which is why I stick to reading it.

sammo450
20-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Sometimes the best Sci-fi is not broadcast on mainstream TV. Such as Ghost in the Shell. An absolutely incredible set of films and two 26 ep seasons.

the_bogan
21-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Sometimes the best Sci-fi is not broadcast on mainstream TV. Such as Ghost in the Shell. An absolutely incredible set of films and two 26 ep seasons.

I wouldn't have called that sci-fi. I've alwaysjust thought of those as manga.
I guess it is kinda sci-fi when I think about it.

Sweep
28-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Looks like we are getting this on TV2 next week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fringe_episodes

Looks OK. Beware that the link provides a synopsis of each episode!!

johcar
28-06-2009, 07:08 AM
New version of The Survivors has been filmed - no doubt we'll get it twelve months after it finishes airing in the UK (and after it has been canned)...

Blam
28-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Don't really like those kind of shows/movies.

Read the books by John Wyndham if you like that kinda stuff.:)

Day of the triffids, Midnight Cuckoo..

Sweep
28-06-2009, 03:30 PM
But it's so easy to kill a Triffid!

And I think it was Midwich Cuckoo as a book and village of the Damned as a movie.

Read the books long before the movies.:D

Blam
28-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Indeed. IMO the movies sucked.

And it is Midwich Cuckoo, I'd forgotten the name.:p

rob_on_guitar
28-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Fringe is just about on TV here, I quite like the series.

Twelvevolts
28-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Why do they all get canceled these days???

Invasion - canceled.
Jericho - canceled.
Surface - canceled.
And now Primeval - canceled.

Thank god Lost is still well and alive. Is there not enough intelligent people out there capable of understanding these shows? Are we really outnumbered by the people who watch POS 'drama' and reality shows that producers puke out???

It annoys me to no end! Every time I get hooked to a show I'm always skeptical - will this be another axed show by the end of first the season?

GOD!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I gave up watching Primeval two shows before it got canned. It was going nowhere and had lost any interest that it had built up when the main character was killed off. No surprise to hear it was dumped.

I don't know about Fringe, it got a bit slow mid-season but thought it was getting better towards the end of the season. Nice finish too, the Star Trek connection was a hoot.

The loss of BSG for next season will be the biggest hole in my schedule, but fortunately Supernatural is to carry on after Armegeddon,which is possibly as post-apocalyptic as you can get.

qazwsxokmijn
28-06-2009, 06:09 PM
The two only things I hated about Primeval was: Cutter getting killed and that the old timeline (Cutter's original timeline) was pretty much abandoned.

Oh, and well, there's not enough blood considering people are being attacked by creatures with massive jaws and/or fangs.

martynz
28-06-2009, 08:19 PM
New version of The Survivors has been filmed - no doubt we'll get it twelve months after it finishes airing in the UK (and after it has been canned)...

Filming has started on Season 2
http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/survivors/survivors-begins-filming-external-scenes/5453

Martynz

afe66
05-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Add Firefly to the list of cancelled Sci Fi. Heard of it via word of mouth. Bittorented a few episodes. Enjoyed it so bought the whole series on DVD. Strike one for ligitimate uses for bittorrenting.

Also tried the Survivors remake. Unfortunately it exactly the same as the original 1970's BBC series which I had alredy watched on dvd (http://www.aliceinvideoland.co.nz/). The leading woman character looking for her son, annoyed the hell out of me in the original dvd and the next version was just the same unfortunately....

Cato
05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Add Firefly to the list of cancelled Sci Fi. Heard of it via word of mouth. Bittorented a few episodes. Enjoyed it so bought the whole series on DVD. Strike one for ligitimate uses for bittorrenting.

Definately!

Firefly should never have been canned. I don't get how they could produce Serenity and still not get back Firefly on air again.

Then we have Farscape, I found it deeply sickening in a way - but it was a damn good show when I got used to it.

It's going sad to not have Galactica in a week or two. And fringe... I didn't like the acting. Seemed too quick.

Jen
05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Firefly should never have been canned. I don't get how they could produce Serenity and still not get back Firefly on air again.I watched the entire Firefly series on DVD. It was a great Sci-Fi series with a quirky Western twist. Shame they canceled it.