PDA

View Full Version : accidentally reformatted my recovery partition?

mostlyharmless
20-06-2009, 01:14 PM
I somehow made the mistake of reformatting my recovery partition and as a result the system restore function will not work. As with most new computers it didn't come with a restore disk. I am wondering the best way to restore it to the factory settings (hopefully including recovery partition). HP offer to send recovery disks and i wonder if this would be the best thing to do? Any help would be appreciated.

system
windows vista home premium
model: HP Pavilion dv2500 notebook PC

:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
20-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Yup thats probably the only thing to do (get HP to send you whatever / the DVD). Theres probably programs around, that may recover the partition, but you'll have to pay for it

gary67
20-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Yes they would be the best bet as they should have all your drivers on as well, not sure if they will rebuild the recovery partition but there is other backup software that can

mostlyharmless
20-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Do you know if the disk would reformat the recovery partition? (the recovery partition is still on my computer)

thanks for the advice.
:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
20-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Well if the partition is still there, you didnt format it. It'll probably recreate the recovery partition, once you restore the system to its original settings.

mostlyharmless
20-06-2009, 02:15 PM
:eek:I formated the partition from my computer and destroyed all the files
:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
20-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Well get the dvd from HP and restore the system

JJJJJ
20-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Personally I have no sympathy for anyone who buys a computer without the O/S on a seperate disk.
I suggest you ask the shop who sold it to you for one. If they won't give you one take the computer back to them and demand your money back. If they refuse tell them you are going to sue.and kick up merry hell. You'll get it eventualy.
And next time you buy a computer make sure you get one.

wainuitech
20-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Err jjjjjj its a HP Pavilion dv2500 notebook PC - they dont come with a DVD/ recovery CD's - what they do come with is the option to create a recovery DVD, which is in the menu, and sometimes a link on the desktop, with that you can reinstall the OS as it first came when the Laptop was brought - many people dont make the recovery DVD and then have problems when its needed.

JJJJJ
20-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Err jjjjjj its a HP Pavilion dv2500 notebook PC - they dont come with a DVD/ recovery CD's - what they do come with is the option to create a recovery DVD, which is in the menu, and sometimes a link on the desktop, with that you can reinstall the OS as it first came when the Laptop was brought - many people dont make the recovery DVD and then have problems when its needed.

That's a sneaky trick even for HP. If the buyer is a newbie who hasn't a clue on how to make a recovery disk ???

ronyville
20-06-2009, 05:11 PM
That's a sneaky trick even for HP. If the buyer is a newbie who hasn't a clue on how to make a recovery disk ???

Just created recovery disk for my HP lappy. HP has a user guide that explains the easy steps in creating recovery disks. It also has a recovery program thats guides you through the process. So it is up to the newbie to make sure that he reads the laptop user guide first before deciding what he wants to do on his laptop.

gary67
20-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Yep step sons new Toshiba came without discs, he didn't want to make a recovery set even though it told him to, so I made him make them even supplied the discs was very easy just follow the prompts and insert discs as it asks for them just need to write on them what they are and the order they are made. Haven't had to use them YET

Grampsey
20-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Re: accidentally reformatted my recovery partition?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep step sons new Toshiba came without discs, he didn't want to make a recovery set even though it told him to, so I made him make them even supplied the discs was very easy just follow the prompts and insert discs as it asks for them just need to write on them what they are and the order they are made. Haven't had to use them YET

beeswax34
20-06-2009, 08:20 PM

They come with a guide, just create them when you get it. Users have to take some responsibility too you know.

paulw
21-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Well get the dvd from HP and restore the system

Wonder how much they will charge for it,, $250??

bk T
21-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Wonder how much they will charge for it,, $250??

Should be < $100

A couple of months back, I did ask HP about a recovery CD/DVD for a desktop machine and was about $70. - remembered vaguely.

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Ive got the recovery cd's (11 of them), to something, I just cant remember what model it was for. I'm pretty sure its HP tho.