PDA

View Full Version : Monitor turning pink

lrfreestone
20-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi
I have a HP vs17 Monitor I purchased 5 years ago with a HP desk top computer.
3 months ago my monitor started flicking to pink then back to normal now it has stayed pink, any answers to this problem will be great.
Thank you Lesley Freestone

SolMiester
20-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Wiggle the monitor the video cable where it connects to the PC, see if the signal changes, changes are its a lose connection, if not I would image the monitor is on its way out....

Terry Porritt
20-06-2009, 12:06 PM
It's funny really how many times when CRT monitors colour goes wonky it is a pink screen problem, sometimes other colours but pink seems to be in the majority.

It is usually due to, if not a bad cable/plug connection as Solmiester suggests, then a "dry joint" in the green circuit. Often it is at the tube socket itself, or at the driver amplfiers, either discrete transistors one for each colour, or a power IC.

Perhaps the green amplifiers are driven a bit harder?

However 17" CRTs are virtually throw away items these days, and are not worth repairing. A decent second hand should be no more than $10.

I gave away 5 to our local "Earthlink" recyclers about 3 months ago, and when they come up at Turners auction are only a few dollars.

Colpol
20-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Do you live in Sth Auck. I have 2 to give away

Billy T
20-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Perhaps the green amplifiers are driven a bit harder?

Since CRT 'white' is .11 Blue, .30 Red and .59 Green, the green amp and gun must do the lion's share of the work.

This explains why old screens often fade to purple (you may call it pink), but on top of that, any loss of green gives a reduction in luminance so it tends to go rather dark and lacking in contrast as well.

Whatever else is happening on your monitor, the green component of the image has gone AWOL.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
20-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Since CRT 'white' is .11 Blue, .30 Red and .59 Green, the green amp and gun must do the lion's share of the work.

This explains why old screens often fade to purple (you may call it pink), but on top of that, any loss of green gives a reduction in luminance so it tends to go rather dark and lacking in contrast as well.

Whatever else is happening on your monitor, the green component of the image has gone AWOL.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Right, it's obvious when pointed out :)