PDA

View Full Version : Unable To Detect Modem

04-07-2001, 04:40 PM
I can't access the internet as the NEW modem in my NEW computer seems to be on the blink!
System is a'The PC Company' Athlon 1.3G running Windows ME. Modem is (according to the control panel)a Conexant SoftK56 Data,Fax,Voice,Speakerphone PCI Modem. Identifier:PCI/RSSI8005.
I am unable to do diagnostics on this modem thru the 'modem properties' window - keep getting an error message: 'Couldn't Open Port'.It's supposed to be installed on Port COM3 Address 3E8 and DOES show up in the device manager as being there, when you double click on the modem icon. I've added and removed the modem a few times from the system and the comp. seems to detect it ok to reinstall it, just won't open the port when I ask for 'More Info' under diagnostics.
If I go to 'Dial Up Networking' and try to connect, I get error message # 630 'Dial Up Networking was unable to complete the connection. The modem is not responding properly.'
I've tried all the fixes I can find in the help files, XTRA reckon the modem must be dodgy when I can't do diagnostics on it and the PC Company just want me to send it back to them to look at (I only unpacked it today!)
Is there anything else I can try? I assume the problem is on the computer side of the phone cable as I never even get to hear a dial tone.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Signed
So near, yet so far....(Lynne)

04-07-2001, 07:39 PM
PCI Modems have a history of being difficult to install. One thing to try is to disable one of the internal serial ports on the motherboard as there should only be two in a machine to avoid interrupt conflicts. This may not have an affect as a PCI modem can supposedly share interrupts. In device manager check which interrupt the HCF Controller is using and try changing it to something that is not so crowded. Gauranteed this will not be that easy but usually possible.

04-07-2001, 09:30 PM
Hi... cant really help you solve your problem, but would like to comment on, what I think is rather shoddy treatment from the PC Company! They need a good kick up the jackse, as you have just spent in excess of $3k with them... sending the modem or whatever back is completely unreasonable... as you have just unpacked the PC, the least they can do is either send a technician , or one of their salesmen to your address to fix your problem. It is probably something simple, that an expert can fix in a few mins... Instead, you have had to post a 'help me' at this site... As someone in public relations, I am horrified!

04-07-2001, 09:57 PM
Hi Lynne

I must agree with my namesake re PC Company service.
It is not unheard of for new PC's from this Company to be shipped with a completely wrong set of drivers for the hardware installed.
I would ring them first thing in the morning and quote the Modem name as listed in device manager, see if this is the one that is supposed to be loaded, as it seems to me your problem stems from either an incorrect driver or faulty modem, either of which should be fixed at no inconvenience to you.
On the bright side at least your machine worked,unlike another person enlisting help from this forum, who's brand new PC Company machine was shipped as a ' no goer' with faulty ram, I think their pre delivery testing must be non existant.

Alan

05-07-2001, 12:01 AM
Hey, thanks for the support people - It's just a shame there's no service techs down my neck of the woods, but I DID know that before purchasing.... (just didn't think I'd be needing help so soon after unpacking!)
I've played all day trying to get this modem to work - am giving up at the moment and will wait to see what tomorrow brings!
Believe me, I'll be pulling out all stops to try and prevent having to ship the computer back to Dunedin QUITE so soon!
Cheers
Lynne

05-07-2001, 07:52 AM
Morning Keith
What is the HCF Controller?
Is an :Interrupt' something which is referred to as an IRQ address? Marvellous things these system rollbacks, when you're scouting unchartered territory!
Lynne

05-07-2001, 06:30 PM
Hi Lynn
I have had exactly the same problem and eventually found that if I removed as much as I could in the Device Manager Panel and restarted the computer that Windows would sort it all out. I guess its possible to do this manually but it probably takes a good technical knowledge of the O/S,which was a bit beyound me. Give it a go anyway.

06-07-2001, 11:29 AM
Look on the WindowsME cd for a tool called wmremove.inf.

Right click it and select install. This will remove the modem and all registry entries and then try a reinstall