PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to iPod touch ?

John W
18-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi there

I quit like the iPod touch, what with its MP3 player, decent sized screen, Video player, and WiFi, BUT it doesnt have a Camera.

Is there an alternative out there that includes a Camera?

While I dont need a built in phone yet.

Thanks

John in Mosgiel.

R2x1
18-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Actually, it lacks a spare tyre and a fire extinguisher as well.

But it oozes appleness.

gary67
18-06-2009, 06:01 PM
A TV would be a good alternative as when you get a bit older and your eyes start to fail you will be able to see it still and you won't be forced to wear white ear buds that scream Apple plonker.

Actually I heard the creative Zen I think it's called might be a goer

pine-o-cleen
18-06-2009, 07:12 PM
The Creative Zen doesn't have Wifi or a camera and is not 'touch'.

Blam
18-06-2009, 08:33 PM
The Creative Zen doesn't have Wifi or a camera and is not 'touch'.

The X-Fi does have wifi, not touchscreen but still very good

OP: AFAIK there are no "brand name" manufacturers that sell an MP4 player with a camera, but I've seen a few generic ones on TM. I'd be careful though...

Blam

joshjnz
18-06-2009, 10:52 PM
try www.mp4nation.net.

You might be able to get the hardware but generally the firmware on these Chinese player is shocking. There's very little support or applications.

Rob99
19-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Actually, it lacks a spare tyre and a fire extinguisher as well.

But it oozes appleness.

and beer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3MfQIswl3k

jermsie
19-06-2009, 01:57 AM
You might be struggling to get something with a camera.. in a media player without having the cellphone part as well.

Buy the Touch.

Deane F
19-06-2009, 04:33 AM
You might be struggling to get something with a camera.. in a media player without having the cellphone part as well.

Buy the Touch.

Yeah I reckon buy the iPod Touch too. I've had one and it was great - I sold it as I hardly used it for the portable music and I needed the money at the time more than I needed the toy. If you use Outlook for calendar and contacts it is good as the Touch syncs with that.

As far as I can see the only serious competition for the iPod Touch have much smaller screens.

beeswax34
19-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Get a Zune then, way better.

Chilling_Silence
19-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Can't beat the iPod Touch, no two ways about it ;) If you need a Camera, unfortunately you'll have to buy the iPhone, and on PrePay thats ~$1100

iPod Touch = $390 for 8GB, $500 for 16GB or $660 for 32GB
Digital Camera = ~$150-400

Depends on if you want 2x devices to carry around or not ;)

Seriously though go find a friends iPod Touch to play with, use it for 5-10 minutes and you'll be hooked .. Since I got my iPhone, I know about 15 people have got either an iPhone or iPod Touch because of it :p

Deane F
19-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah Chilling is right - now that I've had a iPod Touch - and now that the iPhone will work on both Telecom and Vodafone - I'm starting to covet the idea of one.

I don't think much of Apple computers - but they have got the whole interface thing with the iPod/iPhone range pretty well worked out.

I remember giving my Touch to a friend's 76 yr old mum who didn't know anything about computers and she got the hang of the Touch very quickly.

robbyp
20-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Can't beat the iPod Touch, no two ways about it ;) If you need a Camera, unfortunately you'll have to buy the iPhone, and on PrePay thats ~$1100

iPod Touch = $390 for 8GB, $500 for 16GB or $660 for 32GB
Digital Camera = ~$150-400

Depends on if you want 2x devices to carry around or not ;)

Seriously though go find a friends iPod Touch to play with, use it for 5-10 minutes and you'll be hooked .. Since I got my iPhone, I know about 15 people have got either an iPhone or iPod Touch because of it :p

I recommend the 16GB ipod touch. The new 3.0 software also adds a lot of nice new features. You now get street view with google maps, which apple they previosuly crippled, and that is a really cool feature. You can also speedup and slow down podcasts, and the scrubbing feature can be adjusted into a fine scrub mode. Spotlight is also nice. I guess the next version may come with a camera, as it would then allow you to shoot videos and post them directly to youtubee, but maybe not, as they need something to get people to buy the iphone.
It is really the apps that you can install, and the range and price of the apps, that makes the ipod a top device. No other device has the range of apps.