PDA

View Full Version : How to make "C" default drive?

felix56
18-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Hi there, hope someone can help with this; I have a Compaq Presario which came with Windows XP Home embedded in the "D" partition of my hard drive. Recently had to do a 'Destructive Restart" [possibly due to virus],but unlike on a previous occasions, when i was able to rely on the embedded OS in "D", on this occasion, the embedded OS seemed to be corrupted. Fortunately i was able to use a friend's copy of XP & just used my own activation code. All well & good, but now the "D" drive is the default partition to which any software i install is loaded. As "D" holds only 3.42 GB's this was soon filled. How can i make the "C" partition the default? Thanks in anticipation of a useful outcome.

pctek
18-06-2009, 06:03 PM
You mean XP was installed on C:?
That could only happen if you had deleted C: and recreated it.

If this is the case you need to Download Just Boot Corrector.
Or start over.

felix56
18-06-2009, 09:26 PM
You mean XP was installed on C:?
That could only happen if you had deleted C: and recreated it.

If this is the case you need to Download Just Boot Corrector.
Or start over.

No, i didn't install XP on C:- I had XP embedded on D: & then i inadvertently installed a 2nd copy on D:- then i reinstalled XP on D: & that worked fine, except that now any software i install goes by default onto D: What i want to know, is how to make C: the default partition.
Some software, when i install it, installs on D: without giving me the option of browsing to an alternate drive.

Blam
18-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't think you can, unless you stick XP on C: by changing drive letters

Trev
18-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Some software, when i install it, installs on D: without giving me the option of browsing to an alternate drive.
Are you sure. Look for custom install. That will allow you to select which drive you want to put it on.
:)

Blam
18-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Simple registry solution I just found:

Open regedit(run>regedit)

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion

Double click the value ProgramFilesDir

Change it to whatever you want, i.e D:\Program Files

Cheers
Blam