PDA

View Full Version : TV Remotes

bruciebear
18-06-2009, 10:48 AM
The remote for my JVC TV is now a pain with many of the keys extremely hard to make work. JVC want $125 for a new remote which are on back order anyway. My question is:
Is it worth getting someone to take it apart and clean the inside?
What about these Universal remotes? Which one would work and are they easy to set up with what I have now. I have TV, Video, DVD and Digital Sky ( no My Sky ) all connected through the video but of course use 4 remotes individually. Any sugestion would be appreciated. Cheers.

Rob99
18-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I would take it apart first and give the contacts a clean with a damp cloth water/white vinegar mix.

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Or get one of these logitech harmony remotes. Dont know if they'll do Sky remotes tho. Dont have Sky to try it

Trev
18-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Check them out here.
http://search.dse.co.nz/search?w=remote+control&sessionid=4a39699901eb3df8273fc0a87f3b06ee&submit.x=19&submit.y=11
:)

CYaBro
18-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Or get one of these logitech harmony remotes. Dont know if they'll do Sky remotes tho. Dont have Sky to try it

2nd that option and they will work with anything that has an iR remote.
I have a 1000i here at the shop controlling our lighting system :thumbs:
Even got it controlling the heat pump!
Pretty much everything in their database already and if not you can learn in the commands from the original remote.

sroby
18-06-2009, 12:14 PM

My Harmony remoted worked perfectly with Sky Sat. I know that some Harmony owners could not get Sky to work without doing a manual learn of the remote keys.
Sky is a problem for many universal remotes, some cant even 'learn' the sky keys. Its almost as if Sky/Pace dont want you to use a 3rd remote.

Best advice I have is make sure you can return it if you dont like it: try
Dick Smith
Check the size of the buttons- some are just too small or too close together -espcially the round select button in the middle for DVD use
See if it can work one -handed, the volume wants to bear near the mid-bottom for thumb operation. Mute /30sec skip /prev ch are pretty usefull
Some dont have next track buttons for CD -only ff/fr(as per my otherwise Excellent Philips) -or vice versa
Glow in the dark buttons are allways a bonus.
The Logitech 525(?) is around $100 at some shops- or the Harmony One if you have $300+ to spare (sigh, I wish)

Speedy Gonzales
18-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Yup thats about right the 525 I've got was $99. It was $120-125, the $99 was only if you got it online. I'm only 10 mins walk from the shop here, which is what I told the guy in the shop, why pay online ( I cant anyway, dont use credit cards), when I can walk here. So, I got it for $99 :p

The 525 is good enough for me. Hook it up to USB, you can also update its firmware and change the settings (for the light on it). And yup install the logitech program / check their database etc for whatever remote, download it / edit it, then use it. The database is also on their site (just in case you want to buy a harmony (and see if whatever remote is in its database). It came in handy for the Xbox. Saved me buying one from DSE for about $40.00

MushHead
18-06-2009, 02:25 PM
I've had a Harmony 520 (same as 525, without the Red, Green, Blue & Yellow buttons) for a few years now - cost me ~$120 back then. Will do anything, pretty much.

Despite the fact that the caps on the numeric keypad have mostly worn off & a couple of the buttons (1 & 3) are very dodgy, even after cleaning internally (I've re-mapped a couple of unused keys to duplicate their function), I would highly recommend them.

Figuring out how to justify spending $300+ on a One to the missus now...