PDA

View Full Version : Text messaging $$ rip off to be investigated

Strommer
17-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Cell phone company representatives will be faced with questions at a U.S. Senate committee hearing about the high cost of text messaging. Advocates with the Consumers Union have raised complaints to Congress about the unregulated cell phone industry. Read the article here (http://mynewsjunkie.com/2009/06/15/cell-phone-execs-will-face-questions-on-text-messaging-price-hikes/).

I hope that the rip-off is exposed, forcing the cost per text to be lowered substantially, and the the same thing happens in NZ. Hmmmmnnn... I wonder if there has been a Tui Yeah Right billboard about this? Or maybe a Consumer's article, or Target / Fair Go?

Rob99
17-06-2009, 01:28 PM
When you think the average message is less than 1kb for 20c.

That is $209 751.20 per Gb <WOW>

ubergeek85
17-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not worried. What does worry me are these damn text services that people fall for, eg the love calculator, that cost $8! Per text! For made-up BS!

I'm in the wrong industry...

johcar
17-06-2009, 03:20 PM
It's a bit different in the good ole US of A, I believe...

There, the sender AND the recipient get charged for the message (same for voice calling)... Which is why people there get peeved with spam via their SMS service.

But on the other hand call charges per minute and bundled plans are typically substantially lower and more generous than they are here.