PDA

View Full Version : Making a copy of OEM XP?

sarel
17-06-2009, 01:01 PM
A mate of mine told me he took his PC to a local techie who copied the OEM version of XP (usually installed on the D:) )to a CD - the only requirement was that he had to bring in the case with the official numbers on the side. Paid $10 for it. The techie was also able to make an official XP copy (with his own serial) for something like $80.

My question - if this is so easy I should be able to do it myself because on my Compaq I also sit with XP on the D: drive. The question is how to do any of the two - did he use a special program?:help:

sarel

Rob99
17-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Probably used magic jellybean to get the serial and burnt him a copy of xp for $10.

$80 probably would have been an n-lited version of xp with his serial embedded.

Edit: re-reading looks as he just burnt him a copy, just wanted to check he had a licence

wainuitech
17-06-2009, 01:23 PM
if you wanted to make a bootable install CD from your laptop, assuming it has the i386 folder ( which will be hidden) normally on the C: Drive - using N lite (http://www.nliteos.com/download.html) - run the program , when it asks for the Windows Install Location, point it to the i386 folder, and follow instructions to make a bootable CD - you can then install XP using your own COA which will be on the back of the laptop.

You dont need a product key to make the Bootable CD from the i386 folder - but will need one to install the OS.

Blam
17-06-2009, 01:49 PM
+1 I would guess Nlite.

$80 is a rip!

sarel
17-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys. Yes, this guy is a bit dear - I've used him in the past (before I discovered PF1 and all the wonderful geeks here) so I know.

sarel

nofam
17-06-2009, 02:28 PM
+1 I would guess Nlite.

$80 is a rip!

Try Hardly Normal if you want a rip Blam - last time I checked they were charging around $80 to fit more RAM!!! :groan:

ubergeek85
17-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Try Hardly Normal if you want a rip Blam - last time I checked they were charging around $80 to fit more RAM!!! :groan:

I should charge $250 for high-quality VGA cables! Look! You can see the difference!

nofam
17-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I should charge $250 for high-quality VGA cables! Look! You can see the difference!

LOL - plenty of more schmuks are being conned into paying that kind of money for HDMI cables!!

Bloke from Noel Lemon tried to flog me an $80 HDMI cable when I bought my bravia from there; I actually laughed in his face a little. Was kind of embarrasing! :p

pctek
17-06-2009, 05:19 PM
The CD isn't copy protected - what makes it legal is the COA sticker on your PC.
I charge nothing for copies.

$80? $250? For HDMI, that's nothing, friend recently got himself a shiny new TV and was offered a cable for $500.

But they're special you know.
Some have "gold connecters" and others are "the new version with higher bit-rate".

One of my suppliers has some for $21. Depends on length, could get cheaper even.

wratterus
17-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Dove has very good prices on HDMI cables. Nice ones too.

Blam
17-06-2009, 08:58 PM
CablesDirect is awesome, I get all my cables from them these days.

sarel
19-06-2009, 09:47 AM
How do you unhide or unprotect the locked d:drive?

sarel

wainuitech
19-06-2009, 10:12 AM
If you are wanting to make the Bootable CD as I described with nlite earlier on you dont need the locked drive.

Even when you get into that partition the Image files there are for that Laptop/PC (make and model) ONLY, along with all the "crap" they install - it wouldn't work on any other system.

Open my computer, Tools / Folder Options /View Tab /Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

The i386 folder should now show in the main C: Drive - use nlite and you have your own Bootable CD.

sarel
19-06-2009, 10:19 AM
When I click on the i386 folder in N-lite, it does not accept the folder and says I have to make sure that the selected folder contains the i386 folder yada yada yada so I can't go forward. That's why I wanted to go to the D: frive

sarel

sarel
19-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Any other way of telling n-Lite that the i386 folder is the right one?

sarel

sarel
19-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Looks as if I need .Net Framework as well - repairing it now - will report later

sarel

sarel
19-06-2009, 11:00 AM
What is the use of this 'Net Network - can I remove it again after SS?

sarel

sarel
19-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Still can't select the i386 folder (or Windows folder). B*gger. Help

sarel

Rob99
19-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Are you following instructions http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

sarel
19-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Yup. I don't have a CD, I'm trying to make one. So now I'm copying the i386 folder to a new folder and see whether it will work. In effect I can't start the process.

sarel

sarel
19-06-2009, 11:35 AM
well, I created an ISO although it looked for a file called win51ic and I could not find it.

sarel

sarel
19-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Now I just need to test this new disk - b*gger.

sarel

wainuitech
19-06-2009, 04:51 PM
well, I created an ISO although it looked for a file called win51ic and I could not find it.

sarel OKAY - you need to create it and drop it in the setup folder heres how ( sorry my mistake forgot to include that - I just do it out of habit / automatically when making these bootable CD's - bit harder when trying to give written instructions).
3.Create an ASCII text file with only the word "Windows " (without the quotes and including the final space after the word "Windows") in it, followed by a new line. To do this, open up Notepad. Notepad can be found in your Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> Notepad. Type the word "Windows" without the quotes and following my case exactly (that is, "W" is a capital letter and the rest are in small letters). Then type one additional space. Finally, hit the ENTER key. Do not add anything else to this file. Do not change anything - for example, do not type everything in capital letters or anything like that. The contents of the file must be exactly as I said, or Windows setup will issue an error message.

Save the file with the filename "WIN51" (include the quotes so that Notepad will not add a ".txt" extension behind your back) in C:\XPSETUP. Again, the filename's spelling and case must be exactly like mine.

If your PC or laptop originally came with XP Home, make a copy of the file you just created and call it "WIN51IC". If you are using XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP 1), make two copies of the file and call them "WIN51IC" and "WIN51IC.SP1". If you are using XP Home Service Pack 2 (SP 2), make three copies of the file and call them "WIN51IC", "WIN51IC.SP1" and "WIN51IC.SP2". All the copies of the files should be in C:\XPSETUP.
Thats quoted from This site (http://www.howtohaven.com/system/createwindowssetupdisk.shtml) Scroll down till you get to "Steps to Creating a Bootable Windows Setup Disk from the I386 Directory/Folder" -- you only need to go to step 3 then use Nlite to create the bootable CD. This is what the File (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Win.jpg) looks like once created, as well as its contents. The quoted instructions above must be followed 100% other wise the file wont work.

sarel
19-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Does that mean the disk I created (ignoring that 51ic thingie) won't work? Also, I saw, after burning the ISO, that the disk also had an i386 folder - is that correct?

Thanks Wainuitech, will do that.

sarel