PDA

View Full Version : Can't set a password on an XP Pro account

nofam
17-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I've created a user account (limited) on a brand new HP notebook, but every time I try to set a password I get the following error:

The password you typed does not meet the password policy requirements. Check the minimum password length, password complexity and password history requirements.

Is there a default Group Policy in place for XP that's causing this? Can't say I've ever had this problem before though :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
17-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Disable it, go to start/run, type gpedit.msc. Go to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Account Policy->Password Policy

nofam
17-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Everything looks normal there Speedy:

Enforce password History - 0 passwords remembered
Maximum password age - 42 days
Minimum password age - 0 days
Minimum password length - 0 days
Password must meet complexity requirements - Disabled
Store password using reversible encryption for all users in the domain - Disabled

Speedy Gonzales
17-06-2009, 09:54 AM
So, was it already disabled?

nofam
17-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah it was - that's what I don't get. . . .I haven't changed anything. PC isn't on a domain or anything either.

:waughh:

wainuitech
17-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Just a Thought - are you trying to set the Password on the Limited account from that account or from the Admin account.

nofam
17-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Just a Thought - are you trying to set the Password on the Limited account from that account or from the Admin account.

Tried both WT - then I deleted the account, and set it up as an Administrator.

AHA!!!! Solved the problem - bloody stupid HP Credential Manager must've been locking things down - deleted it and now it's fine :rolleyes:

Thanks guys!