PDA

View Full Version : Windows update on multiple machines

Tony
17-06-2009, 07:40 AM
My local SeniorNet group has 14 PCs, dual-booting XP and Vista. They are all identically configured. Doing an automatic Windows update on each one means each machine is separately downloading all the updates (effectively 28 in all), which appears to be contributing to blowing our broadband data cap, and also sometimes intereferes with classes, if the update happens during class time.

I do realize that I could tune the download/install scheduling if I needed to.

I'm trying to find out how I can download the updates once, then install them all locally on each machine. How do I go about this?

wainuitech
17-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Have a read of This article (http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1320.html) - explains how you can do it. If they are running server 2003 it can also be issued out from there.

Add to above - never done it as I dont have to worry about the amount of usage - This article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx) explains in detail how to set the server.

For doing installs from a CD/DVD or to save downloading more than once you can also use AutoPatcher (http://www.autopatcher.com/) - but ti would be a pain having to each OS 1 at a time.

Damn timer :yuck: re auto Patcher - have a look in the FAQ - it tells you how to run from a network Share.

SolMiester
17-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I have a WSUS server, does your group have a spare pc with say 50GB free, you could put WSUS on that, it doesnt have to go on a server, maybe you could put WSUS on 1 of the pc and get the rest talking to that for updates

nofam
17-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I have a WSUS server, does your group have a spare pc with say 50GB free, you could put WSUS on that, it doesnt have to go on a server, maybe you could put WSUS on 1 of the pc and get the rest talking to that for updates

I seem to remember reading recently that you couldn't run WSUS on anything less than Server 2003? I was going to run on an XP workstation as well?

wainuitech
17-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I seem to remember reading recently that you couldn't run WSUS on anything less than Server 2003? I was going to run on an XP workstation as well? From the second posting regarding setting up WSUS -
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2008

WSUS 3.0 SP1 Server Software Prerequisites:
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later
IIS 6.0 or later
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft Management Console 3.0
Microsoft Report Viewer
SQL Server 2005 SP1 is optional. Note if a compatible version of SQL Server is not installed already, WSUS 3.0 SP1 will install Windows Internal Database.

WSUS 3.0 Administration Console Software Prerequisites:
Additional Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003 SP1 or later, and Windows XP SP2
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft Management Console 3.0
Microsoft Report Viewer

I have asked a Mod to merge the threads :D

SolMiester
17-06-2009, 10:48 AM
bugger...2003 license would cost more than the bandwidth!