PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Win 7 x64

linw
16-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Bit the bullet and decided to try a dual boot to x64 as this is what I will be buying when I purchase Win 7. Bit fraught installing all the paid for software hoping the keys would still work! One didn't - had to buy an upgrade for ProShow Gold. Never mind.

Hardware dvrs for printers and scanner were OK except for a scare over the Canoscan 8400F. Other hardware like HVR2200 tuner and vid card were no issue - they just worked!

Worst issue was getting my PVR setup back together with necessary codecs etc. Think it is OK now. Moving FF and Tbird profiles wasn't too bad after figuring what I had to do.

Anyway, long story short, I am beginning to relax a bit now! I certainly have a more streamlined setup (for now!). Any other progs not installed yet can happen as or if needed.

So, I am now officially a 64 bitter!!

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2009, 03:14 PM
:banana Yup thats the only thing you have to watch - drivers, and some programs (that install drivers). It'll be good if you install 64 programs (that can actually make use of 64 bit)

wratterus
16-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Nice one - I'm going that way too as soon as I kill Vista on my home PC. Running the x86 Win7 RC on work PC and XP Pro on the laptop.

Vista is definitley the most crappy of the 3, even though its running on a beast of a PC. Bring on Win7. :D

pctek
16-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Me I'll wait for the release. XP meanwhile.
I'm accummulating 64bit stuff though ready for the change.

The only downside is a whole fresh install and ages spent tweaking and configuring and installing...........sigh.

linw
16-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Me I'll wait for the release. XP meanwhile.
I'm accummulating 64bit stuff though ready for the change.

The only downside is a whole fresh install and ages spent tweaking and configuring and installing...........sigh.

Yes, ain't that the truth! That's why I have steered clear of clean installs. Always upgraded over the top. But it is quite nice knowing you have cleaned out the accumulated garbage! And I can always boot to the 32bit partition if I really want. May need to if I can't get a fix for my radio control flight sim prog which doesn't work!

wainuitech
16-06-2009, 10:10 PM
May need to if I can't get a fix for my radio control flight sim prog which doesn't work! Hope this isn't thread hijacking,-- Linw - is This the flight sim (http://www.phoenix-sim.com/welcome.htm) -- If so , just set it up on my mates new PC I finished building Sunday ( has XP ) -- Had to try it of course :D only took a few seconds, and was like I never put down a transmitter :thumbs:

linw
16-06-2009, 10:26 PM
No hijack - this is a bit of a social chat.

Wow, that's a coincidence! The very one! They are about to release a public beta of an updated version so I hope they think it a good idea to make it 64bit compatible. Worked fine in win7 x86.

How many balsa scraps did you leave?? Don't try the helis - they are harder still.

qazwsxokmijn
17-06-2009, 12:02 AM
MS better give Vista Ultimate some discounted price to upgrade to W7. In the meantime I'm going to do a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 64 after the exams......gonna see what it's like using 64bit OS.

JJJJJ
17-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I've been using 7 64 bit since day 1.
Had no interest in dual booting so I just inserted the disk and installed it on top of XP. Afew other programs were also there and my files. (I had backed them up)
7/64 booted and then just sat there for a good ten minutes with no sign of any activity. Then away it went and installed itself with only once asking for info. A surprisingly quick install.
Then I found it worked perfectly. My old XP files were packed into a folder called windows.old. Everything else was gone..
No searching for drivers.It just went on line and downloaded whatever it needed.
After a couple of weeks use I only have one real complaint. No readily available e-mail program. I didn't like their offering, which seemed to revolve around Hot Mail, so I installed Thunderbird.
The only program I had trouble with was Adobe Flash player. No 64 bit drivers,yet??
As I had 64 bit IE 8 installed, I also installed Chrome which now runs flash.
So overall I am quite happy and will stick with it till final release.
Though if you didn't run Vista , the first few days were troublesome. Trying to find where everything is.
Jack

Speedy Gonzales
17-06-2009, 08:30 AM
There wont be any 64 version of flash for windows. Only Linux. You'll have to stick with using 32 bit browsers.

linw
17-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Just an update to preserve Phoenix's good name. It does run fine in a 64bit OS. Just a problem with me not installing it properly and needing the latest DirectX installed.

Jack - you bit the bullet early! Yeah, harder from XP than Vista. I'm pretty happy with my setup now (fingers crossed!). There are lots of necessary utilities/add-ons that you forget about that all need updating.