PDA

View Full Version : Bad Image on laptop

Gedc
16-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Guys...Any help appreciated.

Wifes laptop (ASUS) running vista and is approx 5 months old. Last week she had the following appear at startup or something close to.

c:\progra~1\google\GOOGLE~3\GOE62~1.DLL

is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error.Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact you system administrator or software support.

I clicked okay and worked through approx another 10 popup errors saying pretty much the same thing but different programs to get to the desktop.

Googled the above and didn't find too many helpful sites apart from restoring the laptop to a previous setting. That appeared to work but 1 week later its back...Any clues as to what it is please and how to fix it. I have a recovery disc supplied by Asus and would prefer not to reformat the machine given shes not backed up anything but will do what is required to get it up and running again. Also, do you reckon its a hardware issue causing it to reappear?

Thanks for your help :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
16-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Its probably google toolbar or something. Uninstall it

Gedc
16-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Speedy..Will try that tonight and report back.

Planning on doing it through Add/Remove under control panel.

gary67
16-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Or use Ccleaner's removal tool then do a reg scan to make sure it's gone completely

sonar
16-06-2009, 06:20 PM
if all else fails just back up your media and restore the machine using the hidden partition.

but this does sound like software problem, so may keep coming back

Blam
16-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Open up command prompt and do a chkdsk /f on it.

Blam

Gedc
16-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Oooookay..

Ran checkdisk - did it through windows/properties with fix errors/bad sector recovery ticked - it ran at next startup. Went through 5 stages and took approx 40 mins .Everything looked fine. No errors etc...

Ran CC cleaner...Cleaned up lots of registry errors - 120 of them - a number of which had google related entries..

No difference. As soon as the laptop boots up, just before the background appears the error message appears then 25 clicks on ok as every program that runs ( name in top edge of error) box with bad image displayed beside it..blah blah blah

As soon as I run or open a program from start menu or shortcut it comes up with an error of the program name and bad image.

Have uninstalled everything google related...Ran CC cleaner and it kept finding registry errors..Stopped running it when it couldnt find anything else..

Also went into the directory path that the error is reporting and there is still a google folder under program files and inside that folder is the .dll file.. Should I manually delete that google program folder???

Next attemps please :confused::nerd::badpc:

Thx

GameJunkie
16-06-2009, 09:05 PM
could try revo uninstaller

Gedc
16-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Sorry gamejunkie..Can you be a bit more specific please mate?

Downloaded it and ran it..No google entries in programs to chop out...

Couple of other things i just noticed...When this happened last week and I used the restore point feature it worked - until today..Just noticed the .dll file in the google folder under program files was created / last modified this morning at 8.30 am...When my wife was on the laptop at breakfast....Said it was working fine when she logged off..Only when she logged on later in the day did it start doing its bits

Blam
16-06-2009, 09:38 PM
You mentioned that it was errors for quite a few programs, so I doubt this is google by itself.

Maybe you have a virus and it is corrupting programs etc

Do a virus scan with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Blam

Gedc
16-06-2009, 09:39 PM
So..Only other link I can see is someone saying its caused be google updater that is apparently hard to find and get rid of..Ive followed the link to manually edit the registry but its not there...To confirm..The first error starts appearing after the dark screen with windows loading at the bottom and before the windows logo and startup music...Then it continues all the way through to desktop and beyond...

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-performance/1195686.htm

feersumendjinn
16-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Also went into the directory path that the error is reporting and there is still a google folder under program files and inside that folder is the .dll file.. Should I manually delete that google program folder???
Looking in my Vista Program Files, there is no Google folder (I use Google but no toolbar), have a look in Control Panel>Programs And Features and uninstall anything Google related, see if that helps (not a good idea to just delete program folders, leaves orphan files and registry entries behind (and will produce warnings such as you're seeing, maybe this is the original cause of all your problems)).
The fact that this happens before Windows starts (we didnt know that until the previous post), points probably to a deeply stuffed registry (also symptomatic of above cause).
Could also be a malware (or jokeware (designed to annoy you with possibly fake warnings)) problem, try d'loading Hijackthis and posting a copy of the log here after running it for us to look at, then get MalwareBytes and run it.

Gedc
17-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Thx guys...Will run HJ and malwarebytes this evening. And to confirm the message does appear after the 'windows loading' screen and just prior to the login screen appearing..IF i disable the logins so it just boots straight into desktop then the message appears just prior to the desktop appearing.

Thanks again..Am considering the recovery discs if this doesn't work :horrified

Rob99
17-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Back up NOW!!

Gedc
17-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Yep..

Got the emails off, the documents off and the pictures off..

Everything else is commercial software that can be easily reinstalled...

Gedc
18-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Hey guys...Quick update..Ran HJ this..Didn't see any issues with the logfile and malwarebytes came back fine.. Laptop started locking up with black screens as well so reinstalled last night from recovery discs and installed drivers etc. Everything seems fine apart from one odd moment right at end of recovery installation when it came up with a memory address/exception error on screnn......Then it asked for drivers disc and automatically popped out the DVD drive for me to change discs and it went fine after that..
No issues and all now appears to be working. Thanks for the help