PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a Swine Flu party!

forrest44
16-06-2009, 12:25 PM
What do you think of the headlines in the paper today?

I was kind of thinking along similar lines (good idea to get infected now to become immune to more nasty strains later on)

What do you guys think?

GameJunkie
16-06-2009, 12:36 PM
it cant transmit through the interweb can it?? :D

george12
16-06-2009, 12:40 PM
There ain't no party like a Swine Flu party.

qazwsxokmijn
16-06-2009, 01:05 PM
That's just stupid. Sure, you might get immunity for this one strain. The thing is virus are constantly mutating, and it won't be very long at all until a new strain mutates and infects you, leaving your first immunity utterly and completely useless.

wainuitech
16-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Sorry cant join in the party - got a terrible cough - cough - cough at the moment :dogeye: :lol:

wratterus
16-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Yet again, I call on my good friend.

Rob99
16-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Yet again, I call on my good friend.

Cool, I have one of these buttons, but alas I cannot find them in the shop anymore.

Zippity
16-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Yet another reason to remove some genes from local circulation :( :(

R2x1
16-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Would my computer be a more secure machine if I loaded windows VERY briefly just to toughen it up?

robbyp
16-06-2009, 03:38 PM
That's just stupid. Sure, you might get immunity for this one strain. The thing is virus are constantly mutating, and it won't be very long at all until a new strain mutates and infects you, leaving your first immunity utterly and completely useless.

Not to mention that it is possibly illegal, under the new legislation. The thing is that it affects people in different ways. I know someone who has just recovered from it, and they say it was the WORST flu they had had. This goes againest what is in the media, where they are saying that it is milder than the normal flu. It also puts eccessive drain on our public health system, so causes harm to the community. I believe it is actually a selfish act, but am sure that people are doing it.

pctek
16-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Flu hurts. We had flu last year and I ached viciously until I got hold of some codeine.
And you have no energy, the mere act of sitting is exhausting.
I had to drag myself into the shop too, not much fun.

But it's just another flu, ridiculous fuss.

How many people had flu last year? More than 100, more than 200 I bet.

Telling people to stay home, well tough if they used their 5 days sick leave already. Oh right, govt saying companies can't deduct leave or pay if its Tui Flu, so they are going to have to fork out for people sitting around at home quarantined even if they are OK enough for work?

And lets take all the other contagious illnesses floating round, anyone fussing about those too?

If people were dying like flies I might understand but they aren't.
Pity, might fix the unemployment problem then......

Jen
16-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I would like to think people who have a "swine flu" party are just plain ignorant rather than plain stupid.

Maybe I am being over generous?

robbyp
16-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Flu hurts. We had flu last year and I ached viciously until I got hold of some codeine.
And you have no energy, the mere act of sitting is exhausting.
I had to drag myself into the shop too, not much fun.

But it's just another flu, ridiculous fuss.

How many people had flu last year? More than 100, more than 200 I bet.

Telling people to stay home, well tough if they used their 5 days sick leave already. Oh right, govt saying companies can't deduct leave or pay if its Tui Flu, so they are going to have to fork out for people sitting around at home quarantined even if they are OK enough for work?

And lets take all the other contagious illnesses floating round, anyone fussing about those too?

If people were dying like flies I might understand but they aren't.
Pity, might fix the unemployment problem then......

It isn't just another flu. It it a mutated flu from Pigs. Other flus are human flues, this is a big flu, which is not too different from Bird flu, however bird flue was far worse, as it killed many who got it. However swine flu could mutate further, as it has already mutated from pigs to humans. I just wonder how it went from human to pig, I hate to think what someone got up to with the pig. I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by all the antibotic these pig farmers overseas feed their pigs.

johcar
16-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Sounds like someone's telling porkies....

davidmmac
16-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I just wonder how it went from human to pig

It mutated, thus crossing the species barrier.

I'm fairly sure that's right :punk

Antigenic shift (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/AntigenicShift_HiRes.png/373px-AntigenicShift_HiRes.png) (warning - big pic if on dial up (3.69MB)).

qazwsxokmijn
16-06-2009, 08:07 PM
It isn't just another flu. It it a mutated flu from Pigs. Other flus are human flues, this is a big flu, which is not too different from Bird flu, however bird flue was far worse, as it killed many who got it. However swine flu could mutate further, as it has already mutated from pigs to humans. I just wonder how it went from human to pig, I hate to think what someone got up to with the pig. I wouldn't be surprised if it was caused by all the antibotic these pig farmers overseas feed their pigs.
Really, the important factor is the body's ability to withstand the damage the virus causes.

If the common cold was to become as immune to our antibodies the symptoms might equal to the new flu.

davidmmac
16-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Sounds like someone's telling porkies....

+1 :)

B.M.
16-06-2009, 08:21 PM
The horrible after effects!

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Swine.jpg

forrest44
16-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Not to mention that it is possibly illegal, under the new legislation. The thing is that it affects people in different ways. I know someone who has just recovered from it, and they say it was the WORST flu they had had. This goes againest what is in the media, where they are saying that it is milder than the normal flu. It also puts eccessive drain on our public health system, so causes harm to the community. I believe it is actually a selfish act, but am sure that people are doing it.

Then in that case the media should:
- not be hyping the whole thing so much
- reporting the more nasty cases/symptoms

I think if they reported like that we wouldn't have the notion of swine flu parties/trying to infect yourself.

Plus, why should it be illegal to infect yourself? Surely that goes against your own freedom/rights/whatever?

pctek
16-06-2009, 10:12 PM
It isn't just another flu. .

Yes it is.
In the 2009 flu pandemic, the virus isolated from patients in the United States was found to be made up of genetic elements from four different flu viruses – North American Mexican influenza, North American avian influenza, human influenza, and swine influenza virus typically found in Asia and Europe – "an unusually mongrelised mix of genetic sequences."[13] This new strain appears to be a result of reassortment of human influenza and swine influenza viruses, in all four different strains of subtype H1N1.

They are all mutations, that's why we continue to get flus and colds.
All viruses mutate. So do bacteria.

And I've got news for you - loads of illnesses cross species.

R2x1
16-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, I for one don't want to get Camel 'flu.

forrest44
16-06-2009, 10:56 PM
What's Camel flu?

--Wolf--
16-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Bad flu or not, it's definitively affecting everyone. Schools are being closed (or at least year levels), people are being sent home if ill, workplaces are short staffed, there are posters after posters everywhere telling us about how to keep safe etc etc.

I for one, do not want to catch it. However I probably won't be too worried if I do.

Renmoo
16-06-2009, 11:06 PM
The horrible after effects!

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Swine.jpg
NSFW

feersumendjinn
17-06-2009, 12:04 AM
At least SWINE FLU!! gives the moronic media something else to panic the simple/gormless with, besides the RECESSION!?!!! (haven't heard hardly a word about that for a week or two, thank God; them being somewhat to blame for the panic about that, and depressing the economy even more)

R2x1
17-06-2009, 12:43 AM
What's Camel flu?

A short chimney stuck just in front of the nose of smokers of one brand of cigarettes?

qazwsxokmijn
17-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Well, I hope it affects Auckland Uni so I have an extension for study! :D

beeswax34
17-06-2009, 03:06 AM

Lets not cos I want to get my exams over with ASAP and start marking papers so that can be out of the way too.

Renmoo
17-06-2009, 07:43 AM
The e-mail says you still have to sit for the exam at the place you are quarantined

Twelvevolts
17-06-2009, 08:21 AM
What do you think of the headlines in the paper today?

I was kind of thinking along similar lines (good idea to get infected now to become immune to more nasty strains later on)

What do you guys think?

Good luck with that, hold the party in Auckland if you can.

zqwerty
17-06-2009, 08:52 AM
The last time this happened, Spanish Flu from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

"Several Pacific island territories were particularly hard-hit. The pandemic reached them from New Zealand, which was too slow to implement measures to prevent ships carrying the flu from leaving its ports. From New Zealand the flu reached Tonga (killing 8% of the population), Nauru (16%) and Fiji (5%, 9000 people). Worst affected was Western Samoa, a territory then under New Zealand military administration. A crippling 90% of the population was infected; 30% of adult men, 22% of adult women and 10% of children were killed. By contrast, the flu was kept away from American Samoa by a commander who imposed a blockade.[44] The mortality rate in New Zealand itself was 5%"

qazwsxokmijn
17-06-2009, 09:44 AM
The e-mail says you still have to sit for the exam at the place you are quarantined
Damn! I just read it too!

Renmoo
17-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Damn! I just read it too!
And no aegrotat!

Cicero
17-06-2009, 12:27 PM
What's Camel flu?

R2's idea of Camel Toe.

robbyp
17-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I am just wondering about the NZ health departments handling of this. Apparently there are only 1.2 million does of tamiflu, yet they are expecting at least half the population to get it, as it is far more contegous than normal flu. I have noted that some media outlets are wrongly reporting that there are 4 million does of tamiflu, which isn't correct. Yet the NZ health department are giving awaythe tamiflu to people who may have been in contact with someone with swine flu, and doesn't yet have it. Now they are getting swamped by phone calls, as it is now in the community and people are panicking. This means that in a few weeks time all the tamiflu stocks will have been distributed, and people who actually contract the disease will not be able to get it.

the_bogan
17-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I woke up Sunday morning with a sore throat. That went away Sunday afternoon (Before drinking, I might add).

Went to work Monday, developed this annoying tickle in the throat that made you want to cough.

Monday evening, Nose started running faster than Pharlap ever did.

Decided to stay home yesterday, not as bad today. A little bit of a cough, nose is almost back to normal. No aches at all, maybe a bit of a fever.

I'm going off the assumption that swine flu tried to get me, but figured I was too pig headed.

johcar
17-06-2009, 04:29 PM
From here (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aWcd0Nbgc_R4)

Q: Is there a vaccine against the swine flu that’s now spreading?
A: Flu vaccines generally contain a dead or weakened form of a circulating virus. The vaccine prepares the body’s immune system to fend off a true infection. For the vaccine to work, it must match the circulating, “wild-type” virus relatively closely. There is no vaccine currently that exactly matches the swine flu. The seasonal flu vaccine isn’t effective against swine flu, said Richard Besser, acting head of the CDC.
Vaccine makers have contacted the World Health Organization about obtaining samples of the virus needed to make a vaccine. Making flu vaccine can take three to six months. No decision has been made to order a vaccine against swine flu, Besser said.

Q: Are there drugs that treat swine flu?
A: Yes. Roche Holding AG’s Tamiflu and GlaxoSmithKline Plc’s Relenza both react against swine flu. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has released 25 percent of its stockpile of Tamiflu and Relenza, according to Secretary Janet Napolitano. Flu viruses sometimes develop resistance to antiviral drugs. The human form of H1N1 seasonal flu that’s currently circulating is resistant to Roche’s Tamiflu (not Relenza). If the two viruses were to exchange genes, the swine flu might become resistant, too. The drugs should be administered within the first 48 hours of the onset of symptoms, according to the CDC.
Tamiflu and Relenza may also help prevent swine flu in people who have been exposed to someone who was sick.

the_bogan
17-06-2009, 04:35 PM
And I should point out that Wigram Brewery's Honey Ale helps nicely.:clap

ubergeek85
17-06-2009, 04:44 PM
These graphs (1 (http://graphjam.com/2009/05/02/song-chart-memes-swine-flu/) 2 (http://graphjam.com/2009/05/07/song-chart-memes-out-proportion/) 3 (http://graphjam.com/2009/05/06/song-chart-memes-people-killed/) 4 (http://graphjam.com/upcoming/?pid=18078)) put it into perspective quite nicely, although some of them are bit old now.

When we get confirmed deathes here in NZ, then I'll worry about it.

robbyp
17-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Tamiflu and Relenza may also help prevent swine flu in people who have been exposed to someone who was sick.

That is where I think the NZ ministry of health has got it wrong. Just becuase you are exposed to someone who has got swine flu, eg being the the same room as them, doesn't mean that you will get it. Giving those people tamiflu to someone who has a possibility of a chance of developing it, is a waste of the dose in my opinion, as they many only have a 10% chance of getting it. It would be better to give it to them, if they actually develop it. In a few months time, as it spreads throughjout the community, the odds of your average person developing it in the communcity will be 50% or higher, so I would think it would be better to hold onto the doses for people who actually get it. Chemists are only giving it to people who have got the flu, and not as a preventive measure. I really do wonder about the planning that has gone into this, I mean what happens in 2 months time when there is no tamiflu left, and the virus is rampant and mutating to the second level. This is what happened in 1918 when they also initially had a mild flu, which mutated into a killer?

--Wolf--
17-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Swine Flu test:

http://www.doihavetheswineflu.com/

robbyp
17-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Swine Flu test:

Apparently there is a 1 in 40000 cahnce of you getting it today. However you have a bettter chance of dying from the swine flu, than you do of winning the big prize in lotto tonight.

davidmmac
17-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Swine Flu test:

Epic test! :D

wratterus
17-06-2009, 06:33 PM
:lol: Legendary.

Rob99
17-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I just called the National SwineFlu Advice telephone service.

All I got was crackling.

qazwsxokmijn
17-06-2009, 07:17 PM
And no aegrotat!
Damn....better get back to biochem and trees again.....:yuck::crying

Renmoo
17-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Chemists are only giving it to people who have got the flu, and not as a preventive measure.
Hmmmm... Are you sure about that? I know pharmacists are allowed to "give" Tamiflu to those who are bound to swine-flu loaded countries.

Relenza... Funny history behind that. It was discovered using virtual high throughput screening, but it - unfortunately - meets the criteria of Lipinski's Rule of Five --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipinski%27s_Rule_of_Five

Later on, Tamiflu was developed by synthesising analogues that do not feet the rule - and currently it is outselling Relenza by 100 : 1 :p

[Edit] Poor definition of currently.

Greg
18-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Let's just stop the media warnings and add extra tax to those people who're infected.

robbyp
18-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Hmmmm... Are you sure about that? I know pharmacists are allowed to "give" Tamiflu to those who are bound to swine-flu loaded countries.

Relenza... Funny history behind that. It was discovered using virtual high throughput screening, but it - unfortunately - meets the criteria of Lipinski's Rule of Five --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipinski%27s_Rule_of_Five

Later on, Tamiflu was developed by synthesising analogues that do not feet the rule - and currently it is outselling Relenza by 100 : 1 :p

[Edit] Poor definition of currently.

They aren't supposed to. Interesting that in Oz, they are now only going to give Tamiflu to 'bad cases' of the swine flu, others will just have to use their own immunity. So they have gone from giiving it to someone who may have been in contact with swine flu, to only those people with a bad dose of swine flu. Lets hope it doesn't mutate, as we couild end up with no antivirals left.

I note that it is now in NZs prisons, and they are being giving Tamiflu. I don't think prisoners should be given it, if it could mean law abiding people may miss out later on.

trixie86
03-07-2009, 03:26 PM
HELLO I AM VERY INTERESTED IN ATTENDING A SWINE FLU PARTY. IS THIS A STRAIGHT UP MESSAGE..? I AM A WELL ADJUSTED YOUNG WOMAN WHO LIVES IN THE CITY AND CAN PAY SOME MONEY OR BUY A PRESENT FOR AN H1N1 VIRUS x MY EMAIL IS [edited] THANK YOU AND TAKE CARE.

qazwsxokmijn
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
HELLO I AM VERY INTERESTED IN ATTENDING A SWINE FLU PARTY. IS THIS A STRAIGHT UP MESSAGE..? I AM A WELL ADJUSTED YOUNG WOMAN WHO LIVES IN THE CITY AND CAN PAY SOME MONEY OR BUY A PRESENT FOR AN H1N1 VIRUS x MY EMAIL IS [edited] THANK YOU AND TAKE CARE.
:lol:

wratterus
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
That made my day. Thanks Nessie. :D

Jen
03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I AM A WELL ADJUSTED YOUNG WOMAN Oh really? :illogical

R2x1
03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
ROFLMAO

Twelvevolts
04-07-2009, 09:58 AM

For what possible reason would you deliberately want to get the flu?

Cicero
04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
For what possible reason would you deliberately want to get the flu?

For what possible reason would you deliberately want to respond to a twit?

Twelvevolts
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
For what possible reason would you deliberately want to respond to a twit?

Fair point.

simro
04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Why would you voluntarily want to get any sort of virus? It's just like saying "Hey everybody, sneeze on me please, I havn't had a cold for ages!" NZ now has its first cases of deaths from Swine Flu. The best way not to get infected is just to practise basic hygiene!

Ninjabear
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I recovered from a flu two weeks ago. I slept for like 15 hours and i must say it disappered in 2 days but i still have the bad cough

robbyp
05-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Why would you voluntarily want to get any sort of virus? It's just like saying "Hey everybody, sneeze on me please, I havn't had a cold for ages!" NZ now has its first cases of deaths from Swine Flu. The best way not to get infected is just to practise basic hygiene!

What I don't understand is why we don't Quarrantene all travellers. They do with all animals, and they used to with humans too, on Sommes Island. One death from this is one too many, and unlike the normal flu, it kills the young. Think how many millions, if not billions not quarrantining this is going to cost NZ. Quarantining is expensive, but I think the cost on the country from having the virus is going to be worse.

zqwerty
05-07-2009, 01:52 AM
The reason one might want to get this relatively mild version of the Swine flu is because if it follows the same path as the Spanish flu of 1919, and it is an H1N1 type, then just as Spring comes this year a new and much more virulent form will emerge, but those who have had the first version will not die of the second.

Twelvevolts
05-07-2009, 11:31 PM
The reason one might want to get this relatively mild version of the Swine flu is because if it follows the same path as the Spanish flu of 1919, and it is an H1N1 type, then just as Spring comes this year a new and much more virulent form will emerge, but those who have had the first version will not die of the second.

One flu expert Dr. Anne Moscona described that approach as "totally nuts".

zqwerty
06-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Well I suggest that Dr. Anne Moscona has a read of this:

"So the second wave began and flu quickly spread around the world again.[41] It was the same flu, in that those who recovered from first-wave infections were immune, but it was far more deadly, and the most vulnerable people were those like the soldiers in the trenches—young, otherwise healthy, adults"

from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Patterns_of_fatality

Note that the current Swine flu is an H1N1 variety just like the Spanish flu.

B.M.
06-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Over here in Aus there hasn’t been one case reported since Michael Jackson died. :eek::rolleyes:

wratterus
06-07-2009, 01:08 PM
I just heard that all the people in NZ who had a 'swine flu' related death, all had underlying medical conditions previously.

It's been nice to hear about something rather than swine flu actually, seeing as the whole thing is one massive crock of ****. Cheers MJ. :thumbs:

paulw
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I just heard that all the people in NZ who had a 'swine flu' related death, all had underlying medical conditions previously.

It's been nice to hear about something rather than swine flu actually, seeing as the whole thing is one massive crock of ****. Cheers MJ. :thumbs:

I suspect these people would have died of the regular flu as if they had caught it well, but that would have been so news worthy would it??

ubergeek85
06-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Probably, but I'm no expert. I'm not that worried.

wratterus
06-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I suspect these people would have died of the regular flu as if they had caught it well, but that would have been so news worthy would it??

Agree 100%.

Twelvevolts
07-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Well I suggest that Dr. Anne Moscona has a read of this:

"So the second wave began and flu quickly spread around the world again.[41] It was the same flu, in that those who recovered from first-wave infections were immune, but it was far more deadly, and the most vulnerable people were those like the soldiers in the trenches—young, otherwise healthy, adults"

from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#Patterns_of_fatality

Note that the current Swine flu is an H1N1 variety just like the Spanish flu.

One problem - it doesn't actually appear to be true that those people were immune from the second wave, certainly not an established fact like suggested in wikipedia.

The fact that it is H1N1 doesn't mean anything in terms of it following the 1918 epidemic, and indeed it is very unlikely the conditions exist now for the scale of deaths that happened then, medicine has progressed. They have though remarkably reproduced the 1918 virus in the lab for study.

Which still leaves us with Dr. Anne Moscona being a flu expert, and you a wikipedia reader.

However as I've stated before, two interesting podcasts on the topic with experts who know more about this than I do.

Futures in Biotech - Sneezing Pandemic http://www.twit.tv/fib42

This Week In Virology - Pandemic http://www.twiv.tv/2009/06/15/twiv-36-pandemic/

R2x1
07-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Please bear in mind that Anne Moscona is a doctor, and as such dependent on illness for her income. Healthy people are just extraneous nuisances cluttering up the roads to the medical profession. ;)

Twelvevolts
07-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Yes but the people who are involved in the podcasts are University Professors, who have researched and studied the 1918 flu, in fact one of them has reproduced it in the lab.

zqwerty
07-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Suit yourself Twelvevolts, I'm going with my gut feeling and what I have read about the Spanish flu on the Wiki and elsewhere on the web.

Let's see what happens as we get into Spring this year.

Lovelee
07-07-2009, 11:23 AM
What on earth gives anyone the idea that should they catch this - it is mild?? It may well be, however, theres also a chance that it may not be mild.

While some of those who have died have underlying medical conditions, there are many also who dont have an underlying medical condition. And what would be the % of population who dont have an underlying medical condition. We have one of the highest asthma numbers in the civilised (theres a laugh for ya) world, this is a FLU, traditionally flus affect the breathing organs, so those who have breathing difficulties, may well feel bloody terrible.

Comparisons may well be able to be made with the 1900 flu, but things were very different then, this is NOT the same flu, we live in a very different world.

Im still hearing people on the radio or on tv saying they have the flu and they are still at work, they have no idea what flu, neither do they give a rats arse about those who work alongside them, asthmatics and those with small children at home etc.

There is also numbers out that appear to show men as one of the categories that are getting it wore than some others, though I suspect thats more about 'man-flu' and the 'poor me' syndrome :D

johcar
07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Another great argument for telecommuting!! Glad I work from home now (even though the kids and other half could bring it home from one of their frequent forays into the outside world)... At least it's less likely that I'll unknowingly pass it on - if I'm sick, I'm at home anyway.

B.M.
07-07-2009, 11:40 AM
It’s a mutation of the Y2K Bug! :ban

Twelvevolts
09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Suit yourself Twelvevolts, I'm going with my gut feeling and what I have read about the Spanish flu on the Wiki and elsewhere on the web.

Let's see what happens as we get into Spring this year.

It's not likely to spread in New Zealand outside the main flu season, so more likely the Northern Hemisphere will cop the results of any mutations from these flu party nutters.

R2x1
09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
A Swine 'flu party could be quite hard to organise. What can you give to a virus? And these virus critturs are pretty small, so where are you going to get really teeny tiny party hats?
At least they won't drink and drive, so you could lay on a couple of drops of grog and really let those little virii kick up whatever they use for heels. Whee!