PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Backups

pctek
15-06-2009, 10:38 PM
How many of you use one? And how do you use it?

Just come across someone who thought they were doing all the right things by storing their stuff on it.
Unfortunately their stuff was ONLY on the external drive - and naturally that's the drive that decided to have a problem.

What you should do is have it both on the external AND the internal drives.
Chances of both drives having a problem at once is unlikely.

Also they were leaving it permanently connected. So what happens if there's a storm, lightning, power surge? Could lose both.

I just plug mine in when I do a sync then unplug it again and let it sit connected to nothing.

Shortstop
15-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I backup to 2 external hard drives. One I leave permanently connected and the other I store out of the house. All the files are also on the internal HD except for photos of which there are too many.

johnd
15-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Using an external HDD left on site is one form of backup - but it should not be the only form if you are serious about backing up! You need to have a copy of at least your important files off site for theft/fire type reasons.

ronyville
15-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I have a Stardom NAS, configured as RAID 1 (2x500GB), and I backup to an external HDD once or twice a week. Most people I have come across use the external HDD for storage and confuse that as a backup. Often I have told people that backup means having 2 or more copies of their data on different drives, incase of drive failure as pctek mentioned.

Erayd
15-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I back up to an external drive most days, and rsync the important stuff to a server someplace every week or so. Code is inherently backed up in SCM systems anyway, so I don't usually worry about that.

beeswax34
16-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Everything is stored on an internal AND external drive and some photos and documents are sent to be stored up in the cloud.

gary67
16-06-2009, 07:44 AM
I use a flash drive daily an ext HDD weekly as well as a monthly full disc to ext HDD monthly, none are off site as where would I put them I don't work in an office

Barnabas
16-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I have all my files on my server which has mirroring on the disks. Everything is backed up every 5 minutes using syncback to my terastation NAS which has RAID 5 running on it. I also have 2 offsite backups at different locations which are updated regularly. Really important stuff also has a home in the cloud and on DVD which lives in my work bag and travels around with me. Paranoid.....me???......maybe..... ;-)

CYaBro
16-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Our SBS2003 box has RAID1 HDDs in it.
I do a daily backup to a NAS device which also has a RAID1 setup.
Plus I also do critical data backup online every night to a server in Auckland, which is replicated in Wellington every hour.

Cyberhuskey
16-06-2009, 09:32 AM
HDD, external disk and Gspace or Sky Drive. I'm wondering why the last two options, especially to safeguard the files from the risk of fire for example, haven't been mentioned more often. What are the disadvantages of those?

Blam
16-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Nightly incremental system images with WHS, and DATA is backed up using SyncBack to a NAS.

Blam

CYaBro
16-06-2009, 10:18 AM
HDD, external disk and Gspace or Sky Drive. I'm wondering why the last two options, especially to safeguard the files from the risk of fire for example, haven't been mentioned more often. What are the disadvantages of those?

No disadvantage at doing backups online as long as you are doing a local backup as well.
Your local backup will always be your first one to go for in the case of hardware failure, accidental deletions etc. If, for whatever reason the local backup hasn't got the data you need then you can restore from the online backup. This will take longer, depending on the size of the data to be restored.
The online backup would be used in case of a fire, theft, flood etc that may damage the original hardware/data and your local backups. They are more like an insurance policy and you should hope that you never have to restore from an online backup.

tterb
20-06-2009, 08:24 AM
What you should do is have it both on the external AND the internal drives. Chances of both drives having a problem at once is unlikely.
Indeed, but your data could still be lost in the event of a fire, flood or theft. I backup to a waterproof and fireproof ioSafe (http://www.iosafe.com/3) external hard drive *and* backup online with Mozy (http://mozy.com/).

The key is not to have all your eggs in one basket ... or all your baskets in the same place!

Digby
20-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Yes , you must have off site backups.

I have copied most of my important files, pics and movies to DVD's and I store these in the boot of my car.

Paul.Cov
20-06-2009, 09:15 AM
I try (with variable success) to keep everything backed up on two seperate external drives. Or to be more accurate - keep two copies of everything on seperate external drives - the actual number of drives involved has long ago ballooned beyond just two!

And once the data has been stored, I make sure those drives are disconnected and stored away from any possible source of power spike.

Older drives that have given hints of trouble still get some use this way for storing backups of less important stuff, or even for storing a third copy of some data (yeah, my data insecurity knowns no bounds).

Crazy as it sounds, there's now 19 drives here. 3 in active (internal) use on two machines, the rest as some measure of backup. Trying to keep track of which files are where, and whether two copies have been made is becoming a nightmare - to the point where I've started to make my own software to track and report on the filename, location (drive and folder) and number of copies, using the size, date and time stamps as the uniqque identifier for each file - that way altered filenames do not muck up the system.

Of all the data, the least protected (and least valued) is the operating system itself.

kahawai chaser
20-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I back up dozens of documents, small images, etc online (in my Google based blogs/page creator, free web server, sky drive, etc) - some are linked to my sites. Also use Gmail for storage of documents. Also back up on separate partitions on the PC drive, and DVD's...

Saucy
20-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Automated nightly backup to a Windows Home Server with mirrored drives, manual monthly backup from that to a portable drive I keep offsite. A few important files are kept online too.

jwil1
20-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I have an external HD that I sync important folders in my internal drive to, using a good old batch script :)