PDA

View Full Version : Defragmenting My C drive

JohnnyR
15-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. The files on my C drive are so scrambled the Windows defragmenter can't acheive a lot. I've enough free space available, so that's not an isse.

A couple of questions. Is there a more effective (preferably free) defragmenter available I could use?

And secondly, how important is it anyway? Things seem to be running Ok and I'm not a gamer.

Ta JR

SolMiester
15-06-2009, 12:15 PM
smartdefrag!, do a google on it!

kahawai chaser
15-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Try Defraggler, where I did a basic review for defraggler (http://pcsourcepoint.blogspot.com/2009/05/defrag-defraggler.html). From the same people that brought out ccleaner, and it runs faster than windows defrag, and can defrag files separately...

Blam
15-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Defraggler, Auslogics, JKDefrag

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2009, 12:55 PM
There's also ultradefrag

Cyberhuskey
15-06-2009, 01:16 PM
http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

wratterus
15-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Auslogics

I use Auslogics, others are apparently better but I've had really good success with this one. It's normally pretty quick, too.

JohnnyR
15-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks everybody. Plenty to choose from here.

JR

sroby
15-06-2009, 04:14 PM
And secondly, how important is it anyway? Things seem to be running Ok and I'm not a gamer.
Ta JR

**Defrag can move data into a faulty area of the drive making it unreadable.
Ive seen the results of this-rare but can happen.

Defrag is more a placebo for most people using NTFS ON MODERN DRIVES.

MAY make some diff on old slow FAT drives, but certainly dont need to defrag
every month as some do.

otter
19-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Diskeeper09, excellent automatic defragger:thumbs: Unfortunately not free.

Burnzee
19-06-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi JohnnyR

Many people believe defragmentation is not required. That may or may not be but if like me then you like to have things nice and tidy then do a defrag.

The files on my C drive are so scrambled the Windows defragmenter can't acheive a lot.
Think your enquiry is a very good reason to defrag once in a while.

Others have given you links to many good defraggers here's one more with a difference. It is a suite of tools to clean, optimise, protect and defrag all by one click of the mouse!!

You can't beat ADVANCED WINDOWS CARE (http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html). Has iobit's Smart Defrag built in. It's free, wot yah got to lose!!

BURNZEE

Rod J
19-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi JohnnyR

Many people believe defragmentation is not required. That may or may not be but if like me then you like to have things nice and tidy then do a defrag.

BURNZEE

I used to think defragmentation was overrated too ... but I've seen some WinXP NTFS drives lately that were a real mess. The drive might have 5Gb free space which sounded OK till you look at the drive map and the free space is so fragmented itself that the system runs slower than molasses (17 minutes to load Sims 1!) It seems if space is tight on a drive there is much more likelihood of it needing defragmented. :2cents: