PDA

View Full Version : Ditch the All Blacks Name

Digby
15-06-2009, 09:50 AM
I think that if we want our New Zealand Rugby team to improve long term, 2 things need to happen.

We need to drop the name All Blacks
And they need to sing the National Anthem (properly)

We must be the only country in the world obsessed with giving our national teams names. (black caps, silver ferns, white socks etc etc)

When new players join our rugby team they say they have wanted to be an All Black since they were 5 years old. They don't say I have wanted to play for New Zealand. This means they have no real allegiance to New Zealand.

What is the Italian soccer team called - Italy !
What is the top English soccer team called - Manchester United.

So I think the current New Zealand ruby tea, has very little pride in New Zealand and more pride in a name or a Jersey (or their pay cheque)

Metla
15-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Hell no.

The rest of the sporting teams need to stop jump on the bandwagon but the All Blacks name deserves the respect it gets.

Dropping the Haka would also be good.

autechre
15-06-2009, 10:01 AM

I think we should keep the haka for teams that come here, but ditch it when playing overseas.

the_bogan
15-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Actually, aren't Manchester United better known as Man U, or the Red Devils?

There was talk a while ago of the All Whites changing their name, since it stirred up some negative racial connotations.

bk T
15-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I think that if we want our New Zealand Rugby team to improve long term, 2 things need to happen.

We must be the only country in the world obsessed with giving our national teams names. (black caps, silver ferns, white socks etc etc)

When new players join our rugby team they say they have wanted to be an All Black since they were 5 years old. They don't say I have wanted to play for New Zealand. This means they have no real allegiance to New Zealand.

So I think the current New Zealand ruby tea, has very little pride in New Zealand and more pride in a name or a Jersey (or their pay cheque)

+1

Hell no.

+1

MAC_H8ER
15-06-2009, 10:21 AM
There was talk a while ago of the All Whites changing their name, since it stirred up some negative racial connotations.

funny how the "all blacks" doesnt get the same uproar eh?

damn, no faceplam emoticon - oh wait theres this one it will do :groan:

prefect
15-06-2009, 10:50 AM
The haka obviously isn't working if some lame country like France can beat us at our national game.
Its been all blacks for 100 years why change it for changes sake.

Richard
15-06-2009, 11:00 AM
It was disappointing that the NZ badminton team wasn't called the Black Cocks as suggested. :horrified

rob_on_guitar
15-06-2009, 11:01 AM
All blacks name should stay. The haka and stuff should be up to the players. They want to do it go for it.
Being called NZ wouldnt work, we would have to call the team New Cook Samoa Aoteroand.

wratterus
15-06-2009, 11:08 AM
What they need to do, is train some decent repalcement players for Ritchie, Dan, Ali and Rodney. They are all sorely missed.

Thats the problem with the ABs, they are a great team when they are all healthy, but whe injuries strike, the backup players just aren't quite up to the job.

Not that they're bad, but the ABs coaches rely far too much on the big names, when they get injured, the ABs are beached as.

Rob99
15-06-2009, 11:36 AM

What is the South African rugby team called?
What is the Australian rugby team called?
What is the English rugby team called?
What about all the American sports teams?

I think New Zealand played in the weekend, did anyone catch the results?

Greg
15-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Digby - you're close to being called a plonker.

The All Blacks name is a national symbol. It's widely respected throughout the world and is a name of pride for both the players and the specatating public.

Metla
15-06-2009, 12:04 PM
The haka and stuff should be up to the players. They want to do it go for it.

I can agree with that.

johcar
15-06-2009, 12:06 PM
It was disappointing that the NZ badminton team wasn't called the Black Cocks as suggested. :horrified

Now THAT could have been intimidating!! (if you believe the stories!!! :D)

Zippity
15-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Who cares.

I backed the Frogs and won $75 for a $10 investment :) :)

Renmoo
15-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Indeed! I was going to mention that :lol:

prefect
15-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Nothing wrong with having a national color.
The clogs like orange and no one hassles them and they beat the poms at cricket.
Just sick and tired of common usage of ferns, our national identity is the kiwi bird no need to confuse the world because ferns grow all around the world except Antarctica.
Cock is national emblem of France how apt.

rob_on_guitar
15-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Actually I was wrong in the previous post, if the had to rename to country it would be New Cosamojiland.

bk T
15-06-2009, 02:29 PM

:banana:banana:clap:clap

beeswax34
15-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Maybe the All Blacks should just start winning for a change.

Rob99
15-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Maybe the All Blacks should just start winning for a change.

They must win, how elese could they get to #1
http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html

Gobe1
15-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Ha funny how everyone likes them when they are wining but when they lose they are "useless"

Rob99
15-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Bipolar

Gobe1
15-06-2009, 04:16 PM
ha shot rob :clap:clap

beeswax34
15-06-2009, 04:17 PM
They must win, how elese could they get to #1
http://www.irb.com/rankings/full.html

Rankings dont mean crap if you can't win World Cups.

ubergeek85
15-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Only reason we lost to those French bastards is 'cos of that dodgy forward pass.

Zippity
15-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Only reason we lost to those French bastards is 'cos of that dodgy forward pass.

Yeah. RIGHT!!

Did you watch the same game that I watched? The AB played like girlies :banana:banana

ubergeek85
15-06-2009, 05:22 PM
LALALAICANTHEARYOULALALALA

I guess I remembered only what I wanted to...

allblack
15-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Digby - you're close to being called a plonker.

The All Blacks name is a national symbol. It's widely respected throughout the world and is a name of pride for both the players and the specatating public.

Thanks fella.

Saves me typing it.

prefect
15-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Geekster what is the name of the drum mag mg yr avatar?
Looks cool.

ubergeek85
15-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Drum mag? Dunno what you're on about, but the gun is an AA-12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun). A fully automatic, 12 gauge shotgun. I think the mag capacaty is 32 shells. Fires at a rate of 300 rounds a minute I think.

Bigger version of the pic here (http://hamiltonandtroup.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/us20marine20firing20aa-1220full-auto20shotgun2028aa1220machine20shotgun29.jpg)

R2x1
15-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I suppose that seems a bit unsporting from the rabbits point of view. Probably shreds the lettuce patch a bit too. ;)

ubergeek85
15-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Not much rabbit left after shooting it with this.

prefect
15-06-2009, 07:35 PM
That wiki link says it has a 20 round drum magazine.
Christ I never knew someone had invented an fully automatic shottie
Be good for duck shooting and riot control.
Best avatar I have seen.

ubergeek85
15-06-2009, 07:38 PM
From the paragraph 'changes to present day version'

It uses 8-round box, 20-round drum, or 32-round drum magazines

Clip on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c)

paulw
15-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Actually, aren't Manchester United better known as Man U,

What were they united with??

gary67
15-06-2009, 08:47 PM
The name should stay as we already have a team NZ in the sailing would be stupid to rename all of the sporting teams Team NZ would be confusing but cheap on advertising I suppose.

Taurus
15-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Before the last world cup, we boasted out Team B can beat any other teams. apparently, that's a myth.

Look on the positive side. we use to win try matches and lose at the semi-finals of the World cup or quarter-finals. Now we lose our first try match against France. Could it mean that we may have hope in the next world cup??? Could our luck be changing!!!

ZapperBoy10647
15-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Although our side has lost its edge from the previous glorys of winning the world cup and winning all 3 matches against england i think they should still be called the all blacks.

I think however we need better players or we have to train up all our players to a All Black Level, not a all black 'fill in' level

KenESmith
16-06-2009, 02:58 AM
I believe Rugby Union began to lose its way when it went professional, with players on season contracts, and talented new blood with even less chance of being included.
When players receive 6 figure remuneration for playing, they are no longer "sportsmen" they are paid entertainers and a brand name - with all the negative aspects of that status, and along the way the spirit of sportsmanship gets sidelined.

Whether we like to admit it or not, Rugby is now primarily about money.

gary67
16-06-2009, 07:58 AM
They should allow players playing overseas to eligible can you imaging Football banning players from overseas no country would be able to field a national team and by football I don't mean rugby

sam m
16-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Ditch the name?? Sacrilege!

The fact that numbers may be down of people watching just shows the true merit of the true supporter. A true supporter will criticise, make judgements, become angry, demand changes.......... but a true supporter will still be there whether they win or lose.

Fairweather fans can rot in hell!!

rob_on_guitar
16-06-2009, 12:44 PM
When ever something goes pro it tends to get over exposed and cuts out the little man.
I think the ABs are awesome, but when it tends count i yell at the ref, I question did somebody get a nice little check for turning a blind eye, but really with all the hype we have for the ABs they should be winning games by dozens. They need big ugly cabbages, too many posers at the moment.

And who ever said maybe they should win for once should get on with life, they cant be perfect.

Cicero
16-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I believe Rugby Union began to lose its way when it went professional, with players on season contracts, and talented new blood with even less chance of being included.
When players receive 6 figure remuneration for playing, they are no longer "sportsmen" they are paid entertainers and a brand name - with all the negative aspects of that status, and along the way the spirit of sportsmanship gets sidelined.

Whether we like to admit it or not, Rugby is now primarily about money.

So true Kenny.

One has to wonder about the obsession with black this and black that,and I wonder who is behind this rubbish.

rob_on_guitar
16-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Them bloody goths :lol: