PDA

View Full Version : Desktop background - I don't get it

FoxyMX
14-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Whenever I have had a nice photo that I wanted to use as a Desktop background I resized the pic down to my monitor's resolution then used Irfanview to set it as the background.

Yesterday, whilst digging around in the deep bowels of Windows, I discovered that Irfanview had changed my nicely resized image from a respectable under 100KB pic to a whopping great 5MB+ BMP pic. :eek: :(

Now, when I try to put my 100KB pic in any folder that the Windows backgrounds are in, I can't choose my pic in the Display Properties dialogue box. When clicking on Browse and selecting it it won't show in the list of images in the Background box unless I save it as a much larger BMP image.

I can get my JPG pic on the Desktop background is by using FastStone image viewer to set it but I would like to know if anyone else has problems getting a photo on the Desktop like I am.

wainuitech
14-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Blimey thats the long way around doing it, why use a third party program ?/

Simply locate your Picture, right click it - set as desktop background -- Done.

gary67
14-06-2009, 12:35 PM

X2 I use 2-3mb pictures in Jpeg for my backgrounds

pcuser42
14-06-2009, 12:54 PM

If you have a widescreen monitor, the picture (assuming it's a 4:3 photo) will be distorted. I also resize and crop to 1920x1080 or 800x480 (my resolutions), then set as wallpaper.

Use Windows to set the wallpaper - it uses the original file (try deleting or renaming it and see what happens ;))

FoxyMX
14-06-2009, 12:58 PM

If it was that simple I would have done it. I don't have "set as desktop background" in my right-click menu. :(

Windows XP should have it, shouldn't it? I'm sure it used to be there at one time in the distant past.

kahawai chaser
14-06-2009, 01:18 PM
If using Firefox with the add on Mozilla Prism - it is known to disable the set as desktop background as described here... (http://www.sheeptech.com/firefox-set-as-desktop-background-missing)

Blam
14-06-2009, 01:24 PM
If it was that simple I would have done it. I don't have "set as desktop background" in my right-click menu. :(

Windows XP should have it, shouldn't it? I'm sure it used to be there at one time in the distant past.

Open it with the Windows Fax viewer then select "Set as desktop background"

Nictech
15-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Maybe your Irfanview got rid of the "set as desktop background" right click menu option??

pcuser42
15-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I installed IrfanView on my netbook and it stayed there. :illogical

FoxyMX
15-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Maybe your Irfanview got rid of the "set as desktop background" right click menu option??

No idea. Weird how it changes images to BMP files when the other programs don't.

ubergeek85
15-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Why not right-click desktop>properties>desktop?