PDA

View Full Version : please help with acer aspire 3680

14-06-2009, 12:00 PM
i brought an acer aspire 3680 and it was working fine untill 5 weeks ago :(

i came home from work to find that the screen didn't work and i was advised that it was the lcd screen broken.

i plugged in an external LCD and that worked, worked fine for about 4 weeks.

i now come home to find that the LCD screen i plugged in dosent display either!

in all instances of my computer breaking no-one has or was on it. i just come to find that it's broken.

so now what happens:

when i turn my computer on with no external screen plugged in, and i look really close i can see the bios and start up screens and everything, like normal except nearly 100% black. like the backlight is'nt working.

when i plug in my external screen and turn it on the bios, boot up and everything is shown like normal. perfect. then when it gets to the windows xp log-in screen, the lcd stops displaying and shows a message "invalid analogue signal - please check the cables" then i see everything really dark on the laptop screen once again.

could anyone shed some light on what they suspect the problem is, and any possible (cheepish DIY) fixes ?

- any replys allong the lines of "take it into your local computer shop", need not be posted. i'm not a millionare.thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
14-06-2009, 12:08 PM
What kind of connection/s has the external monitor got? DVI? VGA? And what connections are on the videocard on this Acer? It looks like it has something to do with the cable youre using, why its saying this invalid analogue signal - please check the cables. Did you check the cable / try another cable?

14-06-2009, 12:16 PM
yep, it's one of those standard blue vga ones.
i've tried it on 2 different monitors whitch i know work. one LCD and the other CRT. identical results in both instances

CYaBro
14-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Try booting the laptop up, with an external screen attached, in VGA mode - tap F8 to get the boot menu.
It sounds like the resolution or refresh rate may not be set correctly.
The original problem sounds the inverter is dead.

Blam
14-06-2009, 01:29 PM
IF you're in auckland you can take it to QMB, should be able to fix it.

14-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Try booting the laptop up, with an external screen attached, in VGA mode - tap F8 to get the boot menu.
It sounds like the resolution or refresh rate may not be set correctly.
The original problem sounds the inverter is dead.

i did that and i got the same result :(

IF you're in auckland you can take it to QMB, should be able to fix it.

just out of Nelson :(

i suspect it's the invertor

gary67
14-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Where near nelson are you?

14-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Where near nelson are you?

motueka ish

gary67
14-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Go and see Wratterus then he works at affordable computers and is on here a lot good keen chap that he is, they are next to the Rolling pin bakery, I would go in there and get some lunch, always my first stop when off caving or climbing in GB