PDA

View Full Version : Removing flash drive

tut
13-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Just to show my ignorence of all things computer when I click on the Safely Remove hardware icon on the bottom of the screen I get the choice of removing USB Mass storage Device, Generic volume - (E), USB Flash Memory USB device.

Which one should I click on and what is the difference between them? I want to remove a flash drive which is E on my Vista powered machine.
I am confused.

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2009, 08:36 PM
If theres more than 1, the other maybe a card reader. And if you eject that (depending on which slot you eject), you wont be able to use it, until you reboot. With a flash drive, you can eject it then put it back in, without rebooting

Blam
13-06-2009, 08:40 PM
If the device is set to quick removal in device manager you will not even need to use safely remove, as long as nothing is accessing the drive.

If the drive letter in My Computer is E and in safely remove one of them has Generic Device: E then it is that one

Blam

lakewoodlady
14-06-2009, 04:24 AM
It used to confuse me too, but now I just open My Computer and look to see which removable device it is and choose "Eject".

LL

tut
14-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks to all. That answered my question nicely.

Blam6 you said I could set the device to quick removal. Can you talk me through this procedure. Might increase my knowledge further on this infernal machine.

Blam
14-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Run>devmgmt.msc
Expand Disk drives then doube click your flash drive.

In policies change it to Performance or Quick Removal mode.

Cheers
Blam

tut
14-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Done. Thanks blam6