PDA

View Full Version : Problem installing Windows XP

muzza
13-06-2009, 05:03 PM
I am installing Windows XP Pro on a new H Drive in my PC and when trying to install the OS in the initial boot sequence off the CD it gets to the Licencing Agreement confirmation and asks you to press F8 to agree or Esc if you dont agree. Pressing F8 produces nothing Esc reboots the PC and gets you back to this stage.
Why will it not recognise F8 ???

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2009, 05:04 PM
If youre using a USB kb, try a PS2 keyboard

muzza
13-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I am using a PS2 keyboard. Other keyboard commands seem to register (although F10 to save and exit Bios settings didnt respond)
Keyboard (Microsoft) has always been ok in the past.

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Sounds like something is stuffed, try another kb. Or give it a bang. Something maybe stuck in between the keys.

pcuser42
13-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Sounds like something is stuffed, try another kb. Or give it a bang. Something maybe stuck in between the keys.

The traditional method of repair, eh? :lol:

Keyboard sounds stuffed, x2 for what Speedy has said.

wainuitech
13-06-2009, 06:11 PM
As long as the keyboard was working -- being a Microsoft keyboard, look along the top row of Keys to the right (Normally) if there is a button called F LOCK press that first, then the F8 and other F keys will work - by default the F keys are disabled.

muzza
13-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Many thanks guys....I whipped off to work and borrowed another old Compaq PS2 keyboard and it worked...could be like you say the F keys were disabled on the Microsoft keyboard but their is no key that is labelled to enable or reenable these. I will have a play with these when install is finished

Appreciate your help