PDA

View Full Version : Explorer Issue

Billy T
13-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Team

Another minor problem:

As a consequence of the repair install of W2k, all my folder icons have changed from 'Details' to 'Large icons'

Is there a way to change these globally or do I have to do them folder by folder?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Blam
13-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Not sure about Win2K but in Vista or XP you can set a view in one folder then go to folder options and apply view to all folders.

Blam

bob_doe_nz
13-06-2009, 05:21 PM
If you do it from My Computer *I THINK* it changes the settings globally.

wainuitech
13-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Graphical (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/views.mspx) of what Blam suggested - should work in Win 2000

Billy T
13-06-2009, 07:09 PM
If you do it from My Computer *I THINK* it changes the settings globally.

Appears that it is supposed to, but unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't seem to work, not for me anyway, maybe there's a sequence required that I am missing.

I've spent the afternoon getting programs to work again, I kept getting MS messages saying the installations were required but mostly it seems to be just restoring shortcuts connections, the shortcuts are all still there.

I'm getting regular error messages as well, none of which seem critical at all as the programs still work fine, but MailWasher for example required its exe file to be rerun to restore shortcuts.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I was doing something wrong, they all changed thanks.

stormdragon
13-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Why were you doing a repair install in the first place?

Billy T
13-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Why were you doing a repair install in the first place?

See my earlier post this morning, an automatic disk check ran following a boot failure and produced a file size error report for winnt\system32\config\software.log.

Subsequent to that it would not boot at all, so I ran the W2K boot floppies and they headed me toward a repair install, which worked, but had some hangover problems which I have spent most of the day sorting.

It is now working quite well, with only an occasional glitch when I open a program I haven't used since the restoration, and some annoying 'installer' messages that go away when asked politely and don't seem to leave any effects behind.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
15-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I spoke too soon! I've spent the better part of the weekend getting Outlook working after WAB32 and MSOERT2 DLL problems and getting other glitches resolved.

Using DLL copies from the i386 folder didn't help and in the end I had to download new copies from the web.

Most programs seem to be running normally, but Outlook is still a little flaky and sometimes won't start unless I put the installation CD in the drive, then it opens and runs ok until I close it, which I am not doing anymore, I'll leave the comp running full time.

Time for a new box I think, this one is a PIII550 and well overdue for replacement. Any forum members here in AK build boxes to spec? I'm going to migrate to XP Pro as I have several shrink-wrapped copies here, and bleeding edge technology is not required. I want a utilitarian box designed for reliability, not outright speed, but capable of running an older version of MS flight sim and virtual machines for my Dos and W3.11-constrained instrument programs. Sadly I still need serial and parallel ports too, because USB to serial or parallel adapters don't work with my instruments. Multiple drives and raid are also in my sights.

PM me if interested, and I'll forward a basic spec for what I want.

Cheers

Billy $-{)

Speedy Gonzales
15-06-2009, 02:03 PM
So, you'll get the parts / whatever, and you want someone in Ak to build it for you?

Blam
15-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I can do it-whereabouts are you?

Or Speedy can too probs.

Billy T
15-06-2009, 10:25 PM
So, you'll get the parts / whatever, and you want someone in Ak to build it for you?

Close, but I'd prefer that first I specify my needs and preferences a little more clearly than the summary above, then somebody specify the parts (apart from the case perhaps), I take their advice and purchase them all and that the computer be assembled and OS loaded/updated optimised and tested etc for me, I pay for the advice and the work done, then I go install all my programs.

My last two computers were built this way and both have given exceptional service and reliability, running all day virtually every day and switched off at night for a clean reboot in the morning. The first one (Old Faithful) only just died a few months back, and that was a P166 running W98. This one is a PIII550 with an Intel MB which was built about 3-4 years after the first, and has been superbly reliable. OS and data have always been on separate drives and I now run a large USB2 Seagate for external backup storage. This time I'll want RAID mirrors on both OS and data drives for protection against HD failures.

I earn my living largely via my computer so it is important that I stay conservative and have a very high level of reliability.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)