PDA

View Full Version : No Sound

johntekuiti
13-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Hi, I have just reformatted my wifes computer and installed in the drivers for the mother board in which the drivers for the sound device is also on the cd .
But there is no sound and on the sound manger device window I see this device may not work code10. What is a code 10

The sound driver is C-media Ac97 Audio Device.

Thank you for your help. John.

Speedy Gonzales
13-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Delete the entry then reboot. Then see what happens. Dont forget to install a service pack if its XP

Blam
13-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Delete the entry then reboot. Then see what happens. Dont forget to install a service pack if its XP

Run>devmgmt.msc

Under Sound devices right click>uninstall.

Then Click the "scan for new hardware" button.

Blam

johntekuiti
14-06-2009, 11:20 AM
I have made sure all the updates are done. Uninstall the hardware rebboted and nothing happends. I have tried everything I can think of to get the sound working.
Thnak you for your help but there must be a major problem somewhere.

LynX
14-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Code 10 for hardware is "The device cannot start". It will show up if you add a non-existent hardware, or if your system cannot match the driver with your hardware.

When you reboot your PC, does it notify you of having a "Multimedia Sound Controller" or similar under "Other Devices", after you deleted the driver or as Blam suggested? If not, your computer cannot "see" the hardware.

AC-97 audio is integrated into the motherboard, as far as I know, so:

1) Try looking around in BIOS. There should be one called "AC97 Audio Support" or something like that. Ensure that it is set on "auto".

2) Your integrated sound controller (or something like that) might be bad.

Sorry, but that's all I can think of for now.

feersumendjinn
14-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Find out the brand/model of the motherboard (or the build or model number if it's a Dell/HP/etc )and we'll see if we can match it up.

johntekuiti
14-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Thank you for your help. I now have sound.
I went into Bios and found AC97 Audio disable it and save that then back in again set AC97 Audio to auto re booted and the computer pluge and play and installed the drives for it.

Thanks john

TechProX
15-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Ive had this as well, try installing the drivers again or just keep rebooting.

ronyville
15-06-2009, 10:28 PM
just keep rebooting.

I think he has already solved his issue. But hows does continues rebooting solve this issue?

TechProX
16-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I think he has already solved his issue. But hows does continues rebooting solve this issue? I have no ida i guess it just refreshes the drivers ETC

beeswax34
16-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I have no ida i guess it just refreshes the drivers ETC

Refreshing what drivers? The drivers that weren't there in the first place or the drivers that were wrong?